Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-29-2021, 03:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinhoppin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How do I disable compositor?
I wouldn't know where you do this in wine/game settings, but on my MX Linux (Xfce) there is a tool called: MX Tweak, where under tab: "Compositor" I have 3 options:

- None
- Xfwm (Xfce) Compositor
- Compton
Old 03-29-2021, 11:31 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinhoppin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I installed the driver recommended for the card by Nvidia, version 340xx, yes indeed legacy. It worked in my main distro (puppy linux, which does not have a precompiled version of Wine 6) but I haven't gotten it to work in Debian yet.

I am satisfied overall with the performance in EQ - I too do not expect much more in crowded raid-like areas on a budget old laptop, I was just describing that generally the card and graphics seem to be functioning as expected, the only problem is right click camera panning.

How do I disable compositor?

Ty
I wasn't sure if the chip would work with the legacy 340 driver as its right on the cutoff area on the 'supported devices list' for xorg. That's great that it does.

For the compositor, it depends on the desktop you're using. I'm using KDE and I can get to the compositor settings screen by going to the 'System Settings' and its under 'Display and Monitor'. I can also use the search bar that KDE has and type in 'compositor' and get right to it there.

I'm going to guess you might be using Gnome right now because you said you might try Ubuntu. I haven't used Gnome in years but I think I remember they disabled the ability to turn off compositing in their new Unity version which is a shame. But you can select what desktop environment you want to use on the login screen. Should be a 2D or classic or something along those lines that will either have compositing disabled or allow you to disable it.

Did a quick look around and I came accross this post on askubuntu regarding performance issues in full screen games with the ubuntu compositor and how to work around it by disabling vsync.

Are you using the onboard trackpad or an external wired or wireless mouse? I just looked more into that particular laptop and there are a surprising number of complaints with the trackpad.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:10 PM
Large Bat

Hi sorry for long delay!
I installed Ubuntu 20.04 with included Nvidia 340 driver, then the precompiled winehd package and everything works!

So I don't know what the problem was....likely a poorly compiled Wine but who knows.

Now my question is...How do I diagnose the cause of lag in zone with more than 40 people? I play on an old laptop tethered to a cell phone. Is it the connection, or the machine? If the machine, is it the video card that's limited? It is important to know as I shop for an upgrade...

Thank you!
Old 04-20-2021, 09:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Now my question is...How do I diagnose the cause of lag in zone with more than 40 people? I play on an old laptop tethered to a cell phone. Is it the connection, or the machine? If the machine, is it the video card that's limited? It is important to know as I shop for an upgrade...

Thank you!
You can't really. All you can do is turn down all your graphics settings in-game, and then turn one on one at a time to see if it causes lag.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:46 AM
Planar Protector

I think this started to be an issue with the classic darkness patch ;(
Old 03-12-2023, 03:24 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I have a similar issue (ubuntu 22.04). The game runs great. I've found doing winecfg and setting it to windows xp keeps the client from crashing (so far), but when it comes to right click camera control it feels like the client is registering odd events, not so much lagging, more like it feels as though the camera keeps snapping back to center.

I don't suppose anyone found a trick to help fix this?
Old 03-12-2023, 03:28 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-EAVKR [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Lastly, the version of the file 'dinput8.dll' can affect the mouse behavior as well.
I don't suppose you know of a 'good' dinput8.dll to try? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]