Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 04:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Masks dont do anything, for more proof, see everyone wearing masks and huge spike numbers.
Your dumb anecdotes aren't proof.

Masks reduce the spread of infections. Jurisdictions with mask mandates see dramatically lower rates of infection.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because of air pressure, when you breath out through a mask the vast majority of your exhaled breath\droplets just flies out through the five billion spaces around the perimeter of the mask. If you haven't noticed the vast majority of masks people are wearing are ill-fitted loose pieces of cloth or paper that hardly make a seal around the mouth and nose.

Likewise when you inhale while wearing a mask, air rushes in through those same spaces because there's much less resistance. Do they stop *some* viral particles from being exhaled or inhaled? Sure, but it hardly warrants the death glares from people if you go out without one, especially if you're outdoors. In fact you might argue that wearing a mask could potentially be worse for exhaling, because your breath is now leaving your face in fifty different directions instead of just straight forward. Unless everyone is wearing an N95, it's barely doing anything. It's almost a religious purity test at this point to wear one. They are barely protecting you and they are barely protecting others. Social distancing on it's own is probably far more effective.
Then wear your mask properly. You are dead wrong about their protective effect.
Last edited by Lune; 12-06-2020 at 04:31 PM..
Old 12-06-2020, 04:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you haven't noticed the vast majority of masks people are wearing are ill-fitted loose pieces of cloth or paper that hardly make a seal around the mouth and nose.

Likewise when you inhale while wearing a mask, air rushes in through those same spaces because there's much less resistance. Do they stop *some* viral particles from being exhaled or inhaled? Sure, but it hardly warrants the death glares from people if you go out without one, especially if you're outdoors. I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ66wJFD3bs

Wearing it has absolutely zero to do with what you inhale. It has nothing to do with the air pressure leaving around the unsealed mask as you breathe. For gods sake man watch this video and just try not lash out at everything.
[57 Ranger] Breeann (Wood-Elf) <The Second Sons>
[40 Enchanter] Mellisandra (Human) <The Second Sons>
Old 12-06-2020, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

There is no quality control whatsoever being done. I can wear a used piece of toilet paper on my face with a shit stain and no one would care. Its about programming and nothing more. There will NEVER BE PROPER COMPLIANCE, its all about your bot hood.

Naming violation
Old 12-06-2020, 04:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by solleks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no quality control whatsoever being done. I can wear a used piece of toilet paper on my face with a shit stain and no one would care. Its about programming and nothing more. There will NEVER BE PROPER COMPLIANCE, its all about your bot hood.

Naming violation
What did you specialize in at medical school? What was your area of focus?
Old 12-06-2020, 04:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Because of air pressure, when you breath out through a mask the vast majority of your exhaled breath\droplets just flies out through the five billion spaces around the perimeter of the mask. If you haven't noticed the vast majority of masks people are wearing are ill-fitted loose pieces of cloth or paper that hardly make a seal around the mouth and nose.

Likewise when you inhale while wearing a mask, air rushes in through those same spaces because there's much less resistance. Do they stop *some* viral particles from being exhaled or inhaled? Sure, but it hardly warrants the death glares from people if you go out without one, especially if you're outdoors. In fact you might argue that wearing a mask could potentially be worse for exhaling, because your breath is now leaving your face in fifty different directions instead of just straight forward. Unless everyone is wearing an N95, it's barely doing anything. It's almost a religious purity test at this point to wear one. They are barely protecting you and they are barely protecting others. Social distancing on it's own is probably far more effective.
Can you please list your medical and/or scientific credentials?
Old 12-06-2020, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaall Drogo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ66wJFD3bs

Wearing it has absolutely zero to do with what you inhale. It has nothing to do with the air pressure leaving around the unsealed mask as you breathe. For gods sake man watch this video and just try not lash out at everything.
Lash out? My post was pretty calm and reasonable. Air pressure absolutely has to do with how exhaled air leaves your face; a certain amount passes through the mask, a certain amount finds the path of least resistance through the various loose openings, especially adjacent to your nose. I didn't say they don't do *anything*, they just aren't the magic panacea people seem to think they are.

There's also the fundamental question of whether preventing the spread is entirely a good thing, given that the virus is not particularly dangerous to the vast majority of people, and people who have had it most likely have immunity for at least several months (meaning they can't get it and they also can no longer spread it). There are something like fewer than ten cases globally of re-infection, and those might not have even been true re-infections based on faulty methodology or false-positive tests.

The rationale for slowing the spread at the beginning was that we didn't want to overwhelm our medical infrastructure, which is definitely a valid goal. Medical infrastructure hasn't even come close to being overwhelmed, even in states with no mask mandate and no lockdowns like north dakota. Even in NYC, which saw huge amounts of infection early on, never had to use any of their field hospitals or that navy medical ship, because the vast majority of people who get it don't have to be hospitalized, thankfully.

I'm not saying covid isn't a concern, or isn't dangerous for certain demographics, but the continuing hysteria over it is completely out of proportion with our current understanding of it's dangers, which has always been and remains my central point with the pandemic. Some people just seem hell bent on insisting it is apocalyptically dangerous no matter how much evidence to the contrary is brought up, and are utterly unwilling to acknowledge that it has been blown out of proportion or that there is even a single thing wrong with some of the more drastic lockdown measures.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:06 PM
Banned

he's being ironical. i like solleks
Old 12-06-2020, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can you please list your medical and/or scientific credentials?
Please don't talk about how the moon landing was carried out, okay buddy, because are YOU a space engineer?? I don't think so jack!

People can understand things without being a beep-boop doctor you fuckin idiot.

Even fauci's rationale early on for not panic-buying masks is that they barely protect you, and we need them for people working in hospitals, because even though they barely protect you people working in hospitals are higher priority. The takeaway? They barely protect you. That's according to fauci circa march 2020, not me.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Please don't talk about how the moon landing was carried out, okay buddy, because are YOU a space engineer?? I don't think so jack!

People can understand things without being a beep-boop doctor you fuckin idiot.
are you calling names? back to the jungle gym kiddo
Old 12-06-2020, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Proved my point veryfew people know how to wear a medical mask if they even do shit other than for surgery. Nother point most medical school is propaganda and a program to instill trust into white coats. Its fake as fuck and a scam
Closed Thread