Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Sarnak

Default motivation?

First I want to start off saying that I’m as nostalgic about the original classic live experience of the 99-early 2000s EQ as most of you. I even kept with it on and off throughout my teen years into early adulthood ultimately giving up around House of Thule expansion. However I am having the hardest time enjoying “the grind” as you call it this time around. My main is a level 38 stuck in a sluggish race to that level 60 finish line. So much so that I’ve not logged in a couple months and I just snoop around living vicariously through these forums. My question in simple is, how do most of you get motivation to keep going, especially at those hell levels. Most here have three, four, five level 60s and I’m sitting here dreading just getting the hell out of lower guk lol. Are there any special zones you go to when you’re feeling like you need something different. Really this is not meant to be condescending I would like to enjoy playing eq again
Old 07-22-2018, 09:28 AM
Sarnak

much easier with friends. just socializing with others can help.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:38 AM
Fire Giant

If you are a person that doesn't like grinding then you need to focus on either the social aspect of EQ so you make exping fun that way, explore level appropriate areas you haven't done before to mix it up and learn the game more, or set small daily goals to help keep you motivated or keep you progressing and possibly getting you competitive with yourself (your own goals)

Even if you just get 5% a day at first it's better than none.

I have the spirit of several Koreans trapped in a pasty white body so grinding is super easy to me but even on days I'm not very motivated I just tell myself (just 5%) It is enuff to get me started and once I start I will push for a few extra % usually
Old 07-22-2018, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah all about the friends. And after 5 years it is hard to keep playing. It’s all about finding ur niche. My first toon ever still isn’t 60 so don’t beat yourself up about 60.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 07-22-2018, 09:39 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlpstrtkng [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
However I am having the hardest time enjoying “the grind” as you call it this time around. My main is a level 38 stuck in a sluggish race to that level 60 finish line.
This mindset is probably part of the problem. Some people focus too much on the destination and forget to enjoy the journey. A lot of the enjoyment derived from elfquest is in meeting and adventuring with other players that you can stand to spend time around. I'd recommend joining a guild and trying to form a collective. Add people you enjoyed playing with to your friends list and contact them regularly. You'll soon have a pool of people to chat to and form exping groups to adventure in areas that are not typically explored. Try to set goals to obtain items that will be beneficial to your class.

It's easy to think that you have to get to 60 asap in order to enjoy the game but 1-60 is arguably just as fun as max level. This is one of the reasons many people have multiple alts. Personally when I feel the start of a burn out I stop playing whatever character was causing it and either play an alt with a different playstyle or travel around helping lower players with random tasks. It helps to remind me that the game is primarily socializing and that focusing so much on just gaining EXP detracts from the experience.

That being said I really enjoy raiding and that's my main motivator for playing these days, however you may find yourself rushing to endgame and feeling deflated by the extremely competitive raid scene.

TLDR; Enjoy the journey, velious is here forever.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Kobold

The struggle is real and it's a big part of what makes 60 and all the possibilities that come with it feel like an achievement. It's also the time for you to develop your skills and build your reputation. If you don't have people going out of their way to/friend you and bring you in to their groups when they see you online, then keep the focus on where you're at currently.
Joining the guild im in now, raiding top content and having my gear fawned over all came about the way it did because of what I put in to my exp groups. Respect is going to get you as much loot as anything else in this game.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:55 AM
Sarnak

This game is a marathon, not a sprint. It’s about the journey, not the destination. There will always be ways to make your character stronger and the max level will always be 60. Sit back and relax.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Sarnak

I’ve always stayed guildless for whatever reason though I’ve met many good people along the way so far. Perhaps you’re right and I should look into joining one it may give the game a fresh feeling that I haven’t felt in a while.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

Yep I would agree with the social people. There's a huge difference between being in a silent except for Incoming messages type group and one where there's casual banter about literally anything.

Try forming your own group and going to out of the way zones like CT or kaesora. Enjoy your first trip to 60 because you'll never view the leveling process the same again once you get there. On my cleric (my first toon) I would be willing to take any group invite to any dungeon just for the sake of game. All of my alts following that either used a bit of chardok help, PL'd to 20ish , or focused on leveling as efficiently as possible.

Maybe consider if you really enjoy the class you're playing. Personally I was a cleric main for a long long time but one day i rolled an enchanter alt and realized i dont love playing a cleric after all. Consider what you value as far as soloability, group potential, and shit even aesthetics/lore. Do you find it fun to think of your character an powerful witch rotting away unsuspecting victims, or an armorclad hulk bashing faces, or an old wizard who has mastered teleportation rather than be carried by the winds like pesky druids.

My warrior felt sluggish to level because my personal game values dont align with warrior (I like to solo, I'm not a huge fan of melee'rs, etc) but when I leveled my necromancer I didnt feel the same sluggishness because it appeals to me by being a solid solo class and aesthetically and lore wise I love the feel I get from playing the necro.

Just some things to consider. Rambled them out while bored at work
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 07-22-2018, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Don't look so far ahead just enjoy playing the game when you get the free time man. Maybe even roll your first alt for times when playing your main seems to grindy
Closed Thread