Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Quinas Quinas is offline
Sarnak

Quinas's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 295
Default Written Project1999 content

Hi all

I'm starting a little blog (so 2000s I know) that will have some P99 content, especially given it dominates my play time.

I wrote a post and involved some new players in a 'State of Play' on P99, and wanted to talk about the new player experience. So I asked them!

http://www.wherethemonstersare.com/2...iew-from-2019/

Thanks Khidash, Sororos and Vsanthos.

If anyone wants to give me their thoughts on mid and end game (negative and positive), shoot me a PM.

If you've also been writing about the server somewhere, feel free to hijack the thread too.
__________________
Quinok - 44 Shaman <Europa>
Celador Elysius - 57 Beguiler
Writing P99 articles at Where The Monsters Are
Last edited by Quinas; 08-03-2019 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:04 AM
Muggens Muggens is offline
Planar Protector

Muggens's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,432
Default

Nice lil write up, great to see about p99!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-05-2019, 07:06 AM
Quinas Quinas is offline
Sarnak

Quinas's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggens [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nice lil write up, great to see about p99!
Thanks, much appreciated.

I did a write up today on death penalties in old MMOs (consequence) vs newer MMOs (inconvenience), if you're interested in this kind of stuff.
__________________
Quinok - 44 Shaman <Europa>
Celador Elysius - 57 Beguiler
Writing P99 articles at Where The Monsters Are
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-05-2019, 10:14 AM
Jibartik Jibartik is offline
Planar Protector

Jibartik's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,922
Default

Nice! Bookmarking [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:52 PM
Khaleesi Khaleesi is offline
Sarnak


Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 210
Default

It was written well - appreciated the use of hyphenated clauses to sentences.


And whether you intended it or not, the multiple comments about a clear lack of clarity or detail on what the image provided by Rogean means, was deafening.

Everyone is assuming this is going to be the Green server they've been asking for years. a.k.a. The launch of the 'real' classic server as it was meant to be.

And yet they forget that :
  • There's no name for it
  • There are no details
  • The staff said with absolute certainty there would be no additional server after Blue that aims at a classic experience to the extend Blue did. Rather there may potentially be a server with custom content - when and if they could achieve it or there was demand
  • It suddenly appears on the radar with less than five months till it's launch and conveniently comes around the time of Classic Warcraft launch

You are correct when you say that the power gamers will dominate hte server, and frankly it's due to three things.

1. Some twisted desire to screw others over by taking things from them
2. Items
3. Being first at something

Rogean and Nilbog and the CSR talk a big game about really disliking the top 5% of the server, and then went on to make accommodations for them and their play style allowing it to affect the other 95%.
They hid behind this "it's classic" defense, when so much of the server is nowhere near classic on various levels.


About the best we can hope for, is that Green is a custom content server, influenced by Classic EverQuest, but not limited by, where they decide to change things to avoid what happened to Blue.
They'll have the opportunity to do something about it, such as change the items and way items work(so as to not create an environment for the pixels before people crowd).

We'd all be fine if every controversial item is either not in the game at the start, or never gets removed. That cuts out such a significant amount of the item chasing by the nerds and keeps them on Blue where they belong, stroking their Manastone or Elder Beads and muttering "my precious."
Last edited by Khaleesi; 08-05-2019 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2019, 04:08 AM
Swish2 Swish2 is offline
Planar Protector

Swish2's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,753
Default

I like this sort of thing, keep it coming [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-2019, 05:27 AM
Quinas Quinas is offline
Sarnak

Quinas's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was written well - appreciated the use of hyphenated clauses to sentences.


And whether you intended it or not, the multiple comments about a clear lack of clarity or detail on what the image provided by Rogean means, was deafening.

Everyone is assuming this is going to be the Green server they've been asking for years. a.k.a. The launch of the 'real' classic server as it was meant to be.

And yet they forget that :
  • There's no name for it
  • There are no details
  • The staff said with absolute certainty there would be no additional server after Blue that aims at a classic experience to the extend Blue did. Rather there may potentially be a server with custom content - when and if they could achieve it or there was demand
  • It suddenly appears on the radar with less than five months till it's launch and conveniently comes around the time of Classic Warcraft launch

You are correct when you say that the power gamers will dominate hte server, and frankly it's due to three things.

1. Some twisted desire to screw others over by taking things from them
2. Items
3. Being first at something

Rogean and Nilbog and the CSR talk a big game about really disliking the top 5% of the server, and then went on to make accommodations for them and their play style allowing it to affect the other 95%.
They hid behind this "it's classic" defense, when so much of the server is nowhere near classic on various levels.


About the best we can hope for, is that Green is a custom content server, influenced by Classic EverQuest, but not limited by, where they decide to change things to avoid what happened to Blue.
They'll have the opportunity to do something about it, such as change the items and way items work(so as to not create an environment for the pixels before people crowd).

We'd all be fine if every controversial item is either not in the game at the start, or never gets removed. That cuts out such a significant amount of the item chasing by the nerds and keeps them on Blue where they belong, stroking their Manastone or Elder Beads and muttering "my precious."
Thanks for the read and thoughtful reply. I'd like to do a bit of a 'thoughts on Green' from experienced players, would be good if I could PM you.

I'm also eager to hear views on endgame on blue - haven't heard anything yet. I suspect it won't be pretty.
__________________
Quinok - 44 Shaman <Europa>
Celador Elysius - 57 Beguiler
Writing P99 articles at Where The Monsters Are
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-2019, 05:08 PM
Khaleesi Khaleesi is offline
Sarnak


Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 210
Default

You are welcome.

A read through Rants and Flames and the Raid sub forums will give you enough content about the end game and raid scene. And if it seems too PG currently, you needn't go back far in time /thread history to find something more wanton.

Yes you can PM me.

In summary though, we all already played EverQuest classic twice, and don't need to play it again. We have multiple 60s, hundreds of thousand if not millions of platinum. We have enough items to twink every class and then some, and have experienced so much of the content that it's trivial - which says a lot when you realize there's quite a bit more to EverQuest than people know.

And I don't particularly want to relive the last decade of needless drama when we have the opportunity to do something different for once.

As I'v stated elsewhere, maybe Nilbog and Rogean can succeed where Smedley and Sony failed - keeping classic era MMORPG gaming alive and interesting without living the past.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2019, 03:36 AM
Quinas Quinas is offline
Sarnak

Quinas's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 295
Default

I call out the big boy in the genre in my latest post:

http://www.wherethemonstersare.com/2...-mmorpg-genre/
__________________
Quinok - 44 Shaman <Europa>
Celador Elysius - 57 Beguiler
Writing P99 articles at Where The Monsters Are
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-16-2019, 03:44 AM
Quinas Quinas is offline
Sarnak

Quinas's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 295
Default

I look at P99 Green and WoW Classic in the context of the ultimate fate of locked in time classic MMORPG servers/projects.

http://www.wherethemonstersare.com/2...morpg-servers/
__________________
Quinok - 44 Shaman <Europa>
Celador Elysius - 57 Beguiler
Writing P99 articles at Where The Monsters Are
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Everquest is a registered trademark of Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.