Old 03-16-2023, 04:46 AM
Planar Protector

Male human for eyepatch?

Pft

Female iksar for face paint!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 03-17-2023, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

I agree that if you don’t wanna be a lizard, don’t be.

They’re definitely better though, there’s no doubt about it.

Perhaps a human paladin would tickle your fancy since that’s a decent paladin race choice, with decent charisma and decent melee stats?
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

OP, there's no right answer here, as it's a subjective question. If you want to know objectively how much of a disadvantage it will put you at, just do the math ... I'll do "back of the napkin" math (neck beards feel free to pick it apart).

Fights (1 to 50)

If we're talking about fighting, not downtime, Iksar get a single extra HP per tick. Fight length depends on level, so I'll pick one minute (10 ticks) to make it a round number.

In other words, it's roughly 10 more HP per fight from 1 to 50. Looking at some random Magelos, I saw a 50 monk with like 1400 HP, and a level 5 with like 100. Obviously twinking will change this, but with any gear it's unlikely that this would be a "game breaker".

Downtime (1 to 50)

Looking at downtime, it's the exact same thing if you are feigned, but if you are sitting the rate is 2x what a Human would get. From levels 20-49 that means 3 HP more per tick. Let's say a Monk has around 900 HP, and goes down to exactly half, 450 HP (so no bandages). The human will take 15 minutes to heal, while the Iksar will take half that (7.5 min).

Fungi and 51+

Obviously, if you have a fungi (15/HP a tick) then the natural healing of either race is somewhat inconsequential. And above 50 ... well, someone else can do the math, but presumably, the scaling rate is similar.

Conclusion

The way I see it, 10 more HP a fight is not a game-breaker at all. But, having half the downtime (with no fungi, and no bandaging) is pretty noticeable ... if you are sitting there at your computer waiting anxiously. If you prefer to fight, then go afk to clean the house or something, you might not even notice the 7-8 minute difference.

And of course, all this is for soloing, not duos or larger groups (when someone is healing you, a few HP every tick truly doesn't matter).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-19-2023, 04:59 PM
Fire Giant

it's 8 standing regen, which is half a fungi when fighting, versus 20% faster xp gain.

pick human if you like the looks. both racials don't matter at 60, and both racials will help you get to 60 faster.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's 8 standing regen, which is half a fungi when fighting, versus 20% faster xp gain.

pick human if you like the looks. both racials don't matter at 60, and both racials will help you get to 60 faster.
Is the wiki wrong? https://wiki.project1999.com/Iksar clearly shows Iksar get 2 standing regen at levels 50 and below. After that it's 6 from 51-55, and 10 from 56-59 ... but never 8.

But to be clear, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking a question; the wiki is wrong sometimes.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:06 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is the wiki wrong? https://wiki.project1999.com/Iksar clearly shows Iksar get 2 standing regen at levels 50 and below. After that it's 6 from 51-55, and 10 from 56-59 ... but never 8.

But to be clear, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking a question; the wiki is wrong sometimes.
At 60, the standing regen difference (the mode of regen that most people care about/notice the most) between humans and iksar is 8. Humans have 4 and iksar have 12.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Old 03-20-2023, 02:40 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm talking about differences between humans and iksar. 12 standing regen vs. 4.

It's a minuscule net benefit if you raid. You're going to have regrowth to offset small DoTs, and nobody is going to wait for you to pull--you'll come back and get patch healed or flop and get healed by the person in your group.

It's a huge benefit while solo leveling. It's a big benefit while duo leveling, which is completely offset when duo leveling with a shaman. The regen only really increases starting from 51, at which point your shaman will be close to regrowth (15 hp regen) and their higher % slows will make the damage you actually take from blue mobs negligible.

If you have the means to get a fungi pre-51, there is no real difference and the 20% xp penalty becomes a way bigger drawback relatively.

Your situations:
- (chain) pulling in groups: you're just as good at this as an iksar. If your 8 less standing regen causes your group to slow down, your group members suck. You should never be sitting so only standing regen is really relevant.
- tag pulling: just as good as iksar
- soloing: iksar wins, but needs to solo 20% more mobs to get to 60
- raiding: you need to be 60 and have a solid raid kit with clickies, race doesn't matter
- pvp: iksar always wins, but who gives a shit
- good duo: human wins in a camp where you run out of mobs, iksar breaks even in a camp with infinite mobs if he can kill 20% more mobs (spoiler: he can't)

Tl;dr: Pick iksar because you like the look, not for the racials. Same for human. Decide whether you want a character you like, or a character that's optimized at every point in the game (unless you already raid, though, the 20% slower leveling speed can also be a DKP earning penalty).
Last edited by fortior; 03-20-2023 at 02:42 AM..
Old 03-20-2023, 08:31 AM
Planar Protector

Iksar is unquestionably the statistical min/max choice. That being said, as others have already noted, the advantage is not really that great, especially with a Fungi. A Human twinkled with Fungi will easily outlevel and identical Iksar twink from 1-50, and even 50-60 the Iksar Regen isn't enough to offset the XP penalty. The Monk class itself is so strong and itemized so well in Kunark and Velious that the Iksar AC/Regen just aren't that big of a factor. You'll miss the infravision most at this point, but that's also something that can be pretty easily itemized for along the way. And ultimately, a Human Monk is easily one of the game's top fashion quest choices. That counts for a lot by itself.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:43 AM
Sarnak

I can never play a Human on this server because of the broken lighting... They are so blind!