Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Kobold

Default Anyone have an overheating laptop GPU problem?

I have been having this problem lately where I play games, and after a little while (usually during more intensive parts of the game -- ie casting spells etc) my computer suddenly turns off.

At first I assumed it was my CPU overheating but after running some temp sensing program, it appears my GPU is getting around 101C before turning off.

I have tried using compressed air to clean out the fans, and today just ordered a laptop cooling station. Anyone else familiar with this problem?

Dell Studio 1555 Laptop
4gb RAM
ATI Radeon 4500/5100 series
Intel core duo 2.4ghz
64bit windows vista
Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Sarnak

I used to have this problem on my old laptop. Replaced the thermal grease and it was fine.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Orc

Thumbs up

If you know how to open your laptop, I would clean it out that way. Sometimes using compressed air on a laptop just pushes the dust further in.

Also, look up RightMark CPU clock utility. Their website can be found HERE.

Before you download it and use it, go through the website, check out the forums, and learn the ins and outs. But trust me, best thing I ever did for my laptop.

In a nutshell, if you don't want to read the website, it allows you to control your voltages on your CPU(s). Laptops are almost always using much more voltages then is needed, thus you get a lot of heat from your components. And yes, I did a LOT of research on how it could effect your laptop in any way, good or bad, by changing the voltage, and its beneficial to use this program. I have had ZERO issues, and have lowered all my temps by 15 to 25 degrees CELSIUS. But please take the time to read over the website, learn the program, BEFORE using it.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Kobold

Interesting, I'll definitely check that website out.

Going to see if my computer tech friend can change out the thermal grease as well. I opened it up and could only see the ram and the HD. I imagine he can figure out how to get to the GPU.