Sarnak

I'm sure wep wise war can but spells included for ranger
Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 AM
Sarnak

All depends to be honest
in a raid I'm usually one of the top ten melee dps in the force
sometimes higher sometimes lower.
but usually the only classes that beat me are rogues and monks

warriors most of the time in a raid situation are using defensive or evasive and their dps will suffer.
but in a group a ranger SHOULD out dps the equally geared warrior every time.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Fire Giant

So much of what a ranger can do happens in the background: specific buffs, situational crowd control, slows, snares, patch heals, harmony pulls, and so on and on and on...

A good ranger is like the grease that keeps the group lubed.

If you have a smooth group w/a good ranger and the ranger leaves, you'll notice that things hiccup in odd ways.

All that said, a ranger is a fairly difficult class to play well. It's not an easy-mode 'toon.

(ranger main on live from launch to 2005 or so - monk here)
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Aviak

Every class is bad if not geared properly and not played properly. Considering how few people I have met that own more than one set of gear for different purposes I tend to take what people say with a grain of salt. My ranger back in the day was amazing, great DPS and never had problems getting a group but as previously stated, if he got a group where he was pure DPS, he would wear the appropriate armor/gear, and if needed for something otherwise, the DPS armor went back in the bank. Post Velious... he collected dust. Never forget that sony chased profit, not game balance.

Min / Max ppl are going to crap on rangers no matter what, but it is like anything in life... some people look for every last little advantage possible and some people are out to have fun. This does not mean it is a useless class, or that you are gonna hear "Raynja Down! LOLZ!1!!!?" constantly, it just means a few people are gonna try n crap on the class to make themselves feel more superior. Let those people min/max and say whatever they like.

Play your ranger and enjoy it knowing it will be fun as hell, and take the advice from the people in this thread to make sure you are not left out in the cold and you will have a great time, and if you really wanna know if Ranger is fun, ask Jainis if he likes his ranger. I'm pretty sure the answer will make you happy.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedonn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
... if you really wanna know if Ranger is fun, ask Jainis if he likes his ranger. I'm pretty sure the answer will make you happy.
Jainis is an avatar of the ranger spirit.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Sarnak

a quick healing tip for the soloing ranger; mem the healing spell that is one tier lower than what you have access to. e.g. if you are lvl 39 then mem the 22 heal. if you are lvl 22 then mem the lvl 9 heal.

now during your healing downtime between mobs time your heals between med ticks. that is, sit and wait for meditate to tick, then cast the heal, then sit and wait for the med tick again.

the result will be nearly full mana regen of the heal you just casted, and mana will stay full. this means shorter down time between pulls. you also benefit from a natural regen tick cause you are sitting when it ticks. this is basically the shaman canni-dance applied to heals.

a quick tip for mob selection while soloing; solo in out doors where all of your skills are max useful. track sort on "consider" and find the blue mobs that are just above the light blues. these mobs will provide good exp and you'll mow them down.

these two strats together is win.

................................and remember:
Old 07-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Kobold

Rangers has the worse melee DPS class among the 3. Not only that, they give the most XP penalty to the grp.

Lowest DPS + worse XP penalty is a bad combination...

If a grp has a tank, 2 healers and a chanter/bard, its way better to pick 2 rogue/monk to fill up the DPS slots than to have 2 rangers...

Yeah I get that rangers can CC, but if the grp has a CCer (bard/chanter) and 2 healers (Cleric + shaman/druid), then there's no reason to even pick a ranger to fill up the remaining slots.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Sarnak

Briare's sig = what playing a ranger is like, end of story.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers has the worse melee DPS class among the 3. Not only that, they give the most XP penalty to the grp
Iksar monk penalty: 44%
Ranger penalty: 40%

Not really any dispute with your other points just thought you should note this often overlooked fact.

And I doubt anyone was claiming rangers had a place in an optimally min/maxed group. Shit if you min/max it enough I'm pretty sure all you've got left for maximum 1337omgwtf efficiency is a shaman and monk duo. At which point it's time to pop your collar because, bro, you efficient now.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Fire Giant

rangeras class will change in velious , why, they got a atk boost and they got their line of atk spells .

add the changes in 2hander mechanics , alot of aura of battles and u have the biggest atk class in game. also add primal.

then a ranger can easily pull murder 2hand dmg being so far even susperior to monk dmg. but u have to be a super raid egared ranger to do such efats.
Closed Thread