Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 05:41 PM
Orc

Default Period accurate enlarged mouse cursor

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in. It does seem like Technical / UI modification might have been better but I believe this is more specific to Project1999 Green.

I have re-created the default Everquest mouse cursor to be larger (just the main arrow for the time being). Like many, I am unable to quickly find the mouse when in a busy environment or around lots of particle effects (or it blends in perfectly with a tree trunk). I may not be alone in remembering that was also an issue back in 2000 when particle effects started to get bigger and more colorful.

Finally, I understand even this modest increase of mouse size probably wont be noticable at all on super high resolutions (over 1080p). I am also aware if you just move, delete, or rename the file arrow.cur in both default and velious uifiles folders then you will have whatever mouse your system uses. Which wraps up why I decided to post this here instead of the General Technical forum as this is meant to keep but enhance the period correctness of the UI.

New :
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old :

If this interests you, here is the cursor file: arrow.zip (987B)

HOWTO: backup /EverQuest/uifiles/velious/arrow.cur , extract 'arrow.zip' and place 'arrow.cur' into /EverQuest/uifiles/velious
Attached Files
File Type: zip arrow.zip (987 Bytes, 178 views)
Old 03-22-2021, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

I officially sponser this thread [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Originally the cursor was gigantic in EQ, and I tried to get that into our UI but I didnt have time to figure it out.

If we can get a nice looking giant cursor into the game not only would that be more classic, but man I bet a lot of you old ass nostalgia questers with eyes filling with cataracts would appreciate it too lol (Liiiike myself :P )
Old 03-22-2021, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks for sharing, May I note for future reference this type of thread belongs in Technical Discussion, as it's a ui modification.
any reasonable .cur file will work so long as it's named arrow.cur

Such as, warcraft 3 cursors or anything that's not animated to be honest.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:50 PM
Planar Protector

Dont make it seem simple baler, I spent hours at 5am the night before we locked down our UI for green hopelessly trying to get it to work haha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-22-2021, 05:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dont make it seem simple baler, I spent hours at 5am the night before we locked down our UI for green hopelessly trying to get it to work haha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The work you did was invaluable to the everquest community! By no means would I attempt to diminish your efforts and staffs efforts.
For those unaware, Jibartik worked on the UI that is distributed for green by P99.

Getting back on topic, the larger mouse cursor is perfect for people using high resolutions like 4k.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for sharing, May I note for future reference this type of thread belongs in Technical Discussion, as it's a ui modification.
Or better yet, I'd say it belongs on the wiki's https://wiki.project1999.com/Visual_Enhancements page ... so I added it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nice job OP.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The work you did was invaluable to the everquest community! By no means would I attempt to diminish your efforts and staffs efforts.
For those unaware, Jibartik worked on the UI that is distributed for green by P99.

Getting back on topic, the larger mouse cursor is perfect for people using high resolutions like 4k.
haha I was just joking haha but TY! It was most rewarding to do and im so happy some folks enjoy it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Someimtes I turn on youtube and think "what is that guy doing with my phyotoshop on his... oh wait!!! whoah!!!" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-22-2021, 08:17 PM
Orc

Quote:
any reasonable .cur file will work so long as it's named arrow.cur

Such as, warcraft 3 cursors or anything that's not animated to be honest.
Thank you, noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or better yet, I'd say it belongs on the wiki's https://wiki.project1999.com/Visual_Enhancements page ... so I added it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nice job OP.
Fantastic thanks for adding it to the wiki. I didn't even think about that. I wasn't sure how well this would be received.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:50 PM
Fire Giant

If nothing else you can just increase the size of your windows mouse cursor bad that will translate 1:1 to the P99 client. If ur on Win10 just windows search "cursor size."
Old 03-23-2021, 08:25 AM
Planar Protector

Click DOWNLOAD to get my favorite cursor!
Closed Thread