Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 11:19 PM
Fire Giant

Default P99 Open source

It would be cool if P99 open sourced their code and data to allow long standing issues to be resolved more effectively. As P99 was built on open source software it would be nice to give back to the community that built the emulator upon which the majority of functionality is based.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:57 AM
Banned

azxten you need to roll an ALT ASAP

devs have stated their intentions about the source and there's no pressuring them into it and p99 has a lot of life left

there's a lot of room for even cooler more classic servers like I was talking about in RnF with an 'entropy server' were players don't live forever and their items go away after awhile so it keeps the server fresh and moving along rather than getting top heavy there's a lot of ways I want to make that server more interesting and give players for example the option of starting at like lvl 45 but only have 2 weeks to live. And I want to make it super classic, just more classic stuff so like +3 agi katanas, +10 str mace somewere all with mostly within 1% of classic stats

maybe a few more things like rubi bps, like a banded tunic with 5hp regen etc stuff to just make the game more rich and offer more options

and mischief loot rules on some of it so you never know what is going to be in that goblins hoard
Old 11-16-2021, 10:58 AM
Planar Protector

P99 wasn't built open source... they have permission from the IP holder to use it...

a project that nilbog worked on with other people, prior to P99, was issued cease and desist orders from sony.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:01 AM
Banned

ya gpl3 says they can keep it closed for their own personal uses which they allow us to log into
Old 11-16-2021, 11:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It would be cool if P99 open sourced their code and data to allow long standing issues to be resolved more effectively. As P99 was built on open source software it would be nice to give back to the community that built the emulator upon which the majority of functionality is based.
If only I could just get the source code I could figure out how to nerf enchanters for the devs!!
Old 11-16-2021, 12:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 wasn't built open source... they have permission from the IP holder to use it...

a project that nilbog worked on with other people, prior to P99, was issued cease and desist orders from sony.
http://www.eqemulator.org/

P99 is built off EQEmu open source and is mainly polish and classic era refinement. P99 has had a ton of work put into it but it's built on the ton of work that others put into EQEmu. P99 is the Red Hat to Linux in a vague sense.

Quote:
devs have stated their intentions about the source and there's no pressuring them into it and p99 has a lot of life left
I'm not trying to pressure them into it I'm just saying it would be nice. At this point I'd rather play a personal server with friends and family where I can fix things myself that the devs are ignoring and opening things up this way would progress P99's stated goals faster.

Quote:
If only I could just get the source code I could figure out how to nerf enchanters for the devs!!
Well, I figured out how to change spell casting animations by reverse engineering the spells file and editing it in hex. My code is already part of P99 although Telin really put in the work after I showed how it could be done. I'd be happy to fix channeling, which may nerf Enchanters, if they would admit it's fucked up and they want it fixed but can't figure it out but that is just speculation because they won't comment on it.

That's beside the point though because obviously I could fix channeling myself if I wanted to I don't need open source to recreate the broken channeling here. It's likely base EQEmu code which is already open source.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

In many ways P99 is like open source software: anyone can contact the developers and offer to join the team. Just like in real life, the maintainers can accept their help or not.

However, the critical difference between normal OSS and P99 is that p99 has to remain closed source to keep the secrets ... secret. Once you join the dev team, you don't get to play anymore.

If P99 was true OSS that wouldn't be possible. I think giving up the ability to fork in exchange for the ability to keep game secrets secret is a fair trade-off.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:02 PM
Planar Protector

eqemu is an entirely different animal from titanium code. not even related to eq, could be used for many other things.

eqemu is rogean's baby, ppl dont often give up their children
Old 11-16-2021, 12:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think giving up the ability to fork in exchange for the ability to keep game secrets secret is a fair trade-off.
I think the secrets are out of the bag at this point. Is there a single piece of content or mechanic on P99 which isn't already pretty much completely understood from a gameplay perspective? There is a bug report on Quillmane on this topic and at least the devs acknowledged they're working on changing that mechanic. What secrets are being protected from a gameplay point of view?

Quote:
not even related to eq, could be used for many other things.
lol.. ok.. EQEmu not even related to EQ... could be used for many other things... I guess.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the secrets are out of the bag at this point. Is there a single piece of content or mechanic on P99 which isn't already pretty much completely understood from a gameplay perspective? There is a bug report on Quillmane on this topic and at least the devs acknowledged they're working on changing that mechanic. What secrets are being protected from a gameplay point of view?
Every detail of every raid mob, for starters?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread