Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Sarnak

They're okay. They aren't the best at anything (except tracking) but they're alright at plenty of things. They're a lot like druids in that way, but rangers have the advantage of being able to tank just fine up to about 50, and even further if they're properly geared. Tanks being one of the most sought-after roles, that counts for something.

The real problem is that people view things from the perspective of the perfect group, and a ranger doesn't have a solid place in those. In reality, most groups aren't perfect, and rangers are versatile enough that they can pull their weight in a less idealistic group. It can be a great asset to have a DPS who can off-tank, or to have someone who can root-park mobs without wasting valuable healer mana on it. It can be great to have a harmony-puller that isn't a caster who loses a bunch of medding time when he has to pull. They can fill in as a pseudo-slower if the group doesn't have an enchanter or shaman. It's also one of only three classes with SoW, one of only two with a long-lasting snare, and the only class besides monk that can do good DPS while tanking.

Unfortunately, the class doesn't have a real niche and isn't particularly valuable on a raid where all the utilities are covered by others. Rangers are actually great while leveling, but not so great in the endgame. It gets better in Velious though, because archery DPS is pretty good during trueshot and that can help a lot in certain fights, plus weaponshield is the key to a very effective strategy that most guilds will want to employ while progressing. They also get some unique atk buffs in Velious which will effectively make a ranger fully competitive DPS considering what they add to all the other melees, though that doesn't stack so well with multiple rangers.
Last edited by Noselacri; 04-08-2012 at 03:48 PM..
Old 04-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Planar Protector

One nice thing about Rangers here is that there is some really cheap gear and weapons for them. A big plus on here. Like it has been said the 40% XP penality sucks but all Hybrids have it and some even more.

It is a great solo class. With the Swarmcaller you can slow like a Shaman. If you use 2handers from 20 to 50 you can cast damage spells even heal spells on yourself between swings. Doing a lot of damage.

It is not a easy road to go, but with the Tracking and some pretty good spells they get, Harmony, Thornes, SoW, etc and good DPS they are a lot of fun I think.
Last edited by webrunner5; 04-08-2012 at 08:02 PM..
Old 04-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephirith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is completely wrong. A properly geared ranger leveling up will out-dps everything but a fairly twinked rogue or similarly geared monk.
Don't spread lies! This is just not true, as much as you might want it to be. This is coming from one of the best geared rangers on the server. I've parsed myself vs. other classes in pickup groups plenty while leveling up. The worst geared rogue or monk will out-dps the best geared ranger almost every time. You might be able to come close pre-50 if you're massively overgeared, but it just comes down to having lower weapon skills.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrodith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't spread lies! This is just not true, as much as you might want it to be. This is coming from one of the best geared rangers on the server. I've parsed myself vs. other classes in pickup groups plenty while leveling up. The worst geared rogue or monk will out-dps the best geared ranger almost every time. You might be able to come close pre-50 if you're massively overgeared, but it just comes down to having lower weapon skills.
Spectacular burn.

- Eliphas Levi
Old 04-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Kobold

Lots of angry rangers here. They can't tank as well as tanks, they can't do as much damage as the DPS classes.

Yet, these threads should all end with the common response:

Good players > bad players, regardless of class.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Planar Protector

Rangers are hands down my favorite class to group to with on my rogue. Tank / Healer/ Haste & Slow / DPS / DPS/ DPS makes an ideal melee party. With that setup, mobs die fast and it really doesn't matter what the DPS classes are (as long as I'm one). Might as well have a ranger along for utility. And oh my god, I can't wait for call of the predator.

What a player can do by themselves is largely insignificant. It's the synergy of different talents that matters in Everquest.
Last edited by Cecily; 04-08-2012 at 07:31 PM..
Old 04-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Planar Protector

lot of the rangers i've grouped with in the past don't use snare or root at all though.. makes me sad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flunklesnarkin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lot of the rangers i've grouped with in the past don't use snare or root at all though.. makes me sad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well If they are the tank that would be fine, but Root is one hell of a agro magnet. That is one of the main problems with a Ranger in a group if they are not the tank is stealing agro. Why Sony ever gave them a taunt abilty is beyond me lol. They need a no taunt ability.

But that said just like any other class there are good and bad players. If you play the class really well you can be one busy bastard.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Sarnak

Rangers are fun, play them if you enjoy a challenge
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrodith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're overstating the differences. If you're rocking a Woodsman's Staff + FBSS + smart gear choices and the occasional nuke between swings "the worst geared monk" is going to fall behind in the lower levels. I'm not spreading lies and I'm not deluding myself into thinking rangers will out-dps a geared rogue or a superior-geared monk. Perhaps I should have bolded the part where I said 'leveling', and not 50+, where the difference probably becomes more pronounced.

Something tells me your experience as a ranger was so unenjoyable because you were doing something wrong, like dual wielding or wearing tolans when you're not taking damage for a group. I've found my experience to be quite enjoyable, and my dps competitive.
Closed Thread