Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Planar Protector

The big thing about Rangers is they have some of the best weapons in the game Ranger only. And a lot are really cheap to buy. And can use a lot of the normal run of the mill suff also. And their twin Epics are really nice. They have nice self buffs to boot.

They just take a lot more thought how to approach mobs than say a Ogre SK does with their better AC, HP stats on getting hit solo. They have just about every spell a Druid gets and even a Druid can't kill a mob in like 30 seconds. It is more of a cat and mouse game on a Ranger. It gets tough level 50 and above, but no class just jumps from 50 to 60 in a week on here.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well If they are the tank that would be fine, but Root is one hell of a agro magnet. That is one of the main problems with a Ranger in a group if they are not the tank is stealing agro. Why Sony ever gave them a taunt abilty is beyond me lol. They need a no taunt ability.

But that said just like any other class there are good and bad players. If you play the class really well you can be one busy bastard.
Root is an aggro magnet? You may be referring to the fact that when rooted, a mob will turn on whomever is closest...but that's just because they can't reach the guy they are really pissed at. Other than that I think root has no more aggro factor than the small cc+dmg factor it carries.

In fact, root can be used to control aggro very well by a smart ranger.

Scenario - pull mob, bring to tank, root it next to tank, move back. Ding! mob is on tank until root breaks or tank has aggro. Group melee needs to be aware that distance counts and nukers need to know to hold back until mob is on tank, but they should be doing that anyway.

Scenario - group is working on Badass_Mob_01. Ranger gets excited and starts out DPSing tank. Ranger hears CRUNCH CRUNCH. Root mob, move back. Mob turns to tank and cleric gets to heal ranger.

etc.

Also, rogues and monks are problematic melees for stealing aggro as well. I agree about taunt though, its pretty useless on a ranger. I have never even bothered with it much over 10 years of playing a ranger. Flame lick+snare+DPS provides MORE than enough snap aggro.

I also agree with what Funkle said about spells...YOU HAVE SPELLS, USE THEM. Especially the heals. Spamming small heals ( Ranger Regen ) at a twitching necro or shaman is of GREAT value. Spamming a tank while cheal casts is of great value. Often a healer will be so concerned about keeping the melee up they will not heal themselves...spamming them back up can save them if you can spare the DPS loss during a close battle. Use Flame lick ( if nobody is mezzing ) and snare to peel from casters and park the mob. Use snare to peel an extra mob on inc and park it away from group with root.
Last edited by fadetree; 04-09-2012 at 10:14 AM..
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Aviak

I always keep taunt hotkeyed! I use it all the time when a mez or a charm breaks on an enchanter, it lets me switch targets really fast and insta-peel it off of them before they take a second round of melee. The skill is high enough that it's pretty reliable on most exp mobs.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Kobold

Sadly, opinions are not facts. I'm glad you've enjoyed your experience though, that's what it's all about.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Kobold

Terrible class terrible baseball team.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Kobold

Well just put it this way. Rangers are the lowest dps among the 3 melee dps class.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well just put it this way. Rangers are the lowest dps among the 3 melee dps class.
given ideal conditions

not every group or player has the best or ideal gear though
Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Sarnak

I believe equally geared monk or rogue will always greatly outdamage a Ranger.

As it should be IMO.

- Eliphas Levi
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Sarnak

Can war out dmg ranger seeing how it's just a tank?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Sarnak

Default rangers

rangers are just fun, but they suck.

Was the first 60 ranger here, leveling wasnt a problem.

Like any other class, level in howling stones or sebilis in the right spots, and your exp will fly.

Most nubs stay in karnors for 50,000 hours and wonder why their exp bar moves so slow.
Closed Thread