Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portasaurus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's what I'm saying! 4 processors and 8GB of RAM, yet I can't reliably click on my bag slots in a 15 year-old game... riiiight...
Well, the CPU and RAM have little to do with the job that the graphical processor does.

You might try turning Vsync off in your Intel graphics control panel, if possible.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

Is the laptop getting overly hot?

Also, go to power management in the control panel and make sure that your profile is set to max performance vs. max battery life.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:28 PM
VIP / Contributor

Ya that integrated video card isn't great, but it should run eq np. As for other games, I think there would be issues.

There is something else going on here. What are your settings like in game for eq? Max, spell effects on, etc?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrotos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya that integrated video card isn't great, but it should run eq np. As for other games, I think there would be issues.

There is something else going on here. What are your settings like in game for eq? Max, spell effects on, etc?
Yea I have almost the same specs on my laptop but went with the AMD card. It still has the intel integrated an reads intel on my experience but i can choose to bypass it for games. How hard is it to install the AMD part that i have? Could maybe pay dell to upgrade it even.

His should run fine and for sure on lower settings though. Have you tried a new mouse? To make sure that is not the case. Maybe Lagg? Speedtest.net an post it.

As said Turn down some things and test. If max spell effects an stuff are on turn them down and shadows, and clip plane, just to see if that is the problem. If that does not fix it, report back.

Turp --- Purp
60 Shm 60 Wiz
Old 07-28-2014, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardalicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is the laptop getting overly hot?

Also, go to power management in the control panel and make sure that your profile is set to max performance vs. max battery life.
RealTemp shows my CPU occasionally reaching into the low 80s while running 1 copy of EQ.

Power settings are set to Ultra Performance

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Sarnak

@Turp - sadly in these laptops you cannot add or replace the GPU

@Port - That's super hot, your CPU is throttling for sure. You should open it up and clean out all the dust, and consider repasting the CPU as well. A laptop cooler isn't a bad idea either.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarprime [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@Turp - sadly in these laptops you cannot add or replace the GPU

@Port - That's super hot, your CPU is throttling for sure. You should open it up and clean out all the dust, and consider repasting the CPU as well. A laptop cooler isn't a bad idea either.
So what you're telling me is.... my cats have been slowly sabotaging my computers over my life by slowly clogging them with hair?

If I fix all of this simply by BLOWING IN IT like I used to fix NES games I'm going to shit myself
Old 07-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Planar Protector

Was anyone rocking a Voodoo back in the day? So goog.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp_SmokinPurp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea I have almost the same specs on my laptop but went with the AMD card. It still has the intel integrated an reads intel on my experience but i can choose to bypass it for games. How hard is it to install the AMD part that i have? Could maybe pay dell to upgrade it even.
Depends on the laptop. I had to turn off my intel video card in my alien ware laptop with my nvida card. Was just a case of downloading the bios that would allow it. I couldn't turn mine off and had to find a "hacked" bio for it. If you are able to turn them off at will, your bios should be set up to totally disable it.

As for Port.

If any of my laptops/desktops even remotely go over 55c I get worried. It means there are issues going on. As a laptop it could just be something as simple as it not having the air flow to help keep it cool. Do you use a chillmat or have the vents spaced from the desk?

I would agree that if your laptop is hitting 80c + playing eq, that is your issue. You can always open it up and check to see if your fan is clean. But it sounds more like air ventilation problem. Go with trying to keep your pc cool, and see how it goes from there.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Kobold

@Nectar Glad i went with the special edition than.
It runs new games decent. So i know Ports should run EQ on minimum or does graphic make that big of a difference? Shouldn't matter on EQ that much.
my specs are similar.

Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition with Intel Core i5 3230 @ 2.6, 6 gigs ram.
Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution screen. AMD 7730M graphics card is the only big difference. Mine still rates window experience using the on board intel 4000

@Port I see you have Ultra performance clicked. But it says it limits CPU throttle?
Try High Performance is what I run on my dell.
Laptops always run hot but make sure your fans are working fine. If old consider cleaning them. If need be just play near AC if can.

Turp --- Purp
60 Shm 60 Wiz