Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 03-04-2024, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomnia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Been wanting to play a warrior for years, but feel it would be wasted with my limited play hours and the complete lack of soloability. Sure I could sit at 1 mob that repops every 6mins and probably do fine but feel i would just get burnt out after 4mths of leveling only to be like in my high 30s/low 40s
Yeah unless you have a goal of being an MT in high end raid content at level 60, soloing a warrior is a bit of a pointless exercise. If you're not trying to be a raid tank, then a warrior is better used as a backup alt for when you feel like grouping rather than soloing one up for no reason.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:20 PM
Kobold

Meanwhile EverQuest: "bring me ten boar asses"

and only MarshBoars in the gnome zoo on another continent have any chance of dropping boar asses
Old 03-05-2024, 05:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomnia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Been wanting to play a warrior for years, but feel it would be wasted with my limited play hours and the complete lack of soloability. Sure I could sit at 1 mob that repops every 6mins and probably do fine but feel i would just get burnt out after 4mths of leveling only to be like in my high 30s/low 40s
cd288 is right. In my opinion, a warrior is something you play because your friends need a warrior.

It is not a versatile nor engaging class. You have to have people to buff and CH you, people to pull and CC. It’s a great class if you have people to talk or type to while you play. It’s a class you play because you care about the advancement of those around you and wish to support with your beefy HP.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:15 AM
Banned

Or it's something you twink with really cool gear like it's a fancy roadster.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This was purposefully obtuse to force exploration and cooperation. In ye olden days, youd literally /ooc or ask guildies or others of your class about this shit and it was a real puzzle. You run around asking /ooc Has anyone seen brownies? someone says they were killed by a brownie two zones over. you go to lesser fay like they said and find several brownies, but no outcasts. you kill a few brownies just to see what they drop, what factions happen, etc. Nothing related to your quest. You come back the next day, find one outcast, feel joy and track it down and it doesnt drop anything but brownie parts. But now youre on a trail. You hang out looking for xp or interesting named spawns or just exploring while you try to find more outcasts. Repeat for a week and youve gained half a level, learned a new zone, learned some favorite locations where the outcasts seem to be found most often. You finally have your arrows and got dam it took forever and seemed impossible at first and now your green chainmail has your Adventure in it and isnt just pixels. A year later a newbie ranger is asking for help in ooc finding brownie outcasts and you take them on a hunting safari with your hard earned knowledge.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:28 AM
Planar Protector

To expand a little more, the devs were working on a game where people would literally quit their jobs and work on these puzzles 24/7. If they gave any more than the most basic hints, the quest would be solved and all over the internet in a day or two at most. Look at the crazy lengths people went to trying to find clues for the original FA quest, people were going through towns mob by mob and spamming them with keywords.

In the days of classic EQ you could throw out basically zero hints and the quest would still be figured out in under a month. So that's what they kept doing.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To expand a little more, the devs were working on a game where people would literally quit their jobs and work on these puzzles 24/7. If they gave any more than the most basic hints, the quest would be solved and all over the internet in a day or two at most. Look at the crazy lengths people went to trying to find clues for the original FA quest, people were going through towns mob by mob and spamming them with keywords.

In the days of classic EQ you could throw out basically zero hints and the quest would still be figured out in under a month. So that's what they kept doing.
Dolalin!? Where you been!

You think this Ranger quest people have been discussing would be solved in under a month though? Such an obscure PH in an obscure area of a weird zone. You'd really have to go through a concerted process of "I'm going to kill every single mob in LFay many many times to try and figure out the spawn table of every single spawn." I guess you could've had random groups at the pixies occasionally, but I don't really recall people doing PUGs there in LFay.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dolalin!? Where you been!

You think this Ranger quest people have been discussing would be solved in under a month though? Such an obscure PH in an obscure area of a weird zone. You'd really have to go through a concerted process of "I'm going to kill every single mob in LFay many many times to try and figure out the spawn table of every single spawn." I guess you could've had random groups at the pixies occasionally, but I don't really recall people doing PUGs there in LFay.
Yeah I think the key is that the zones were a lot more populated back there so there was likely groups of people in virtually every zone accross the continent(s). In your example its very likely that this would be something figured out in reverse. People are actively killing PHs (just normal mobs for exp) and a unique mob spawns then it becomes I won't what this mob is for? Or they kill the mob and get the loot then work towards figuring out where the loot goes.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

how has no one mentioned that back in '99, verant devs were active players giving out hints or straight up informing their guild mates of what to do for whatever quest they needed

or that they also patched, nerfed and modified the game to suit their personal play styles

this is how they figured things out so fast, there was nothing organic about it
Old 03-05-2024, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpathEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I think the key is that the zones were a lot more populated back there so there was likely groups of people in virtually every zone accross the continent(s). In your example its very likely that this would be something figured out in reverse. People are actively killing PHs (just normal mobs for exp) and a unique mob spawns then it becomes I won't what this mob is for? Or they kill the mob and get the loot then work towards figuring out where the loot goes.
Yeah true, I just don't really remember LFay being that populated besides the sisters and maybe one or two other spots. It was like one of those zones that for whatever reason didn't have that many PUGs in it like other zones...maybe because it's big, long run from end to end, dark, with dangerous mobs wandering around.