Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 03-14-2024, 12:17 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could be, yeah. There is an awkward lasting beauty to it all maybe because of that. However dated and easily recognizable as a game, it still somewhat resembles a world, full of dysfunction and unfair bs and inconsistencies. No one dev had all the power apparently and, if they did, it was quietly undermined or ignored for personal interests and rule of cool.
If you think about it, its pretty insane how balanced the game is. So many race/class combinations and there is a need for all of them in some capacity. While some classes may be viewed as more powerful just because their utility is more aligned with the bulk of gameplay the balancing is superior to most games even being released today.

Especially when you consider that item selection was really a more key component to the balance than traditional games. Some classes were designed to be more item dependent but able to thrive more once those items were obtained where as others start stronger on the power curve but don't scale up as heavily.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:29 AM
Aviak

https://web.archive.org/web/20101107...g_history.html

fun read about the early days of raiding
Last edited by arc; 03-15-2024 at 05:32 AM..
Old 03-15-2024, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rader [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can buy most of these, especially camping, the original devs probably were surprised by the popularity of the game and the willingness of players to stay logged on for days/weeks at a time (or account share, whatever). But raiding? I mean, what would be the point of guilds if not to get 50-100+ players on at the same time in order to zerg red cons?
What do you mean? Guilds existed before raiding did. Now I did not play fucking meridian 59 or UO, as those were before my time thank god. But I am fairly sure that Everquest did not anticipate large swarms of players overtaking "unkillable" mobs. It was an evolution of the 3D MMO, of which EQ was a pioneer. If you weren't playing the game back then raiding was essentially trailblazed, even in WoW, which used EQ as their model, raiding was relatively not mastered yet, they had just started getting a feel for it from observing its progress on EQ.

But to answer your original question, Guilds were social networks same as today.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Something is missing in emu raiding if it took that much nonsense to beat an ST dragon.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:18 AM
Banned

What is the "stacking buff" in the spoilered argument about ST?
Old 03-16-2024, 09:42 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgasari [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Something is missing in emu raiding if it took that much nonsense to beat an ST dragon.
the devs are missing

the stacking buff bug it says is that the warder's ae breath attack wouldnt land on players who had res effects or i think a snare of some kind?
Old 03-16-2024, 09:44 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

that was a wild ride thanks for sharing!

there were plot twists and everything
Old 03-17-2024, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the devs are missing

the stacking buff bug it says is that the warder's ae breath attack wouldnt land on players who had res effects or i think a snare of some kind?
Were the dragons permarooted?

It makes no sense otherwise for players to be that dumb.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That link about CH is pure speculation, unless that guy is an OG dev, then he has no idea what the intent was anymore than any of us.

You guys are acting like the original devs are retarded and never played videogames before. The only thing I can maybe buy that they didn't think would happen is using FD to pull.
I don't know about what the "intent" was specifically, but I know Brad has definitely said in the past that he regrets creating CH because it turned raids into something he didn't expect and basically made them have to just keep turning raids into even more tank and spank affairs to combat people using CH chains etc.

As far as non-CH things, the devs definitely didn't intend/expect many other things other than FD split pulling. They've said a ton of different things than that in the past. Hell, they didn't even anticipate the need for rules/play nice policy at launch lol.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:00 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgasari [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Were the dragons permarooted?

It makes no sense otherwise for players to be that dumb.
did you read the Spoilers at top of that link? thats all i know about it

seems from the email exchange there, that players were basically creating new tactics in real time as the devs in turn mostly patched out those tactics if they were considered "exploits" based somewhat on the personal feeling of the devs. in this case, they said that all mobs should be able to move to a player they want to attack. im willing to bet that some of the most common p99 raid tactics would have, in era on live, been considered exploits based possibly entirely on how consistently successful they are. multiple times Brad tells the guild leaders in this exchange: "this is the current endgame content and it being done risk free or with less than 60 players was not intended and if you managed it we will be looking at how to prevent your tactics from being usable"

so idk if the players just sucked or if it was that they werent really allowed to push the envelope on breaking the game.