Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

View Poll Results: Should the same line of dots stack with each other?
Yes 44 47.31%
No 42 45.16%
Not Sure 7 7.53%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned

DarthPeon, you're quoting 2002. I am quoting 2001. Their DoTs did stack. If your DoT wore off you would get a message, and getting the message of your old DoT wearing off when you cast a new one is pretty obvious kthx. If you got proof from 2001 or earlier, bring it. Your speculation doesn't change the truth; other Shamans and necros that shared shaman DoTs can attest to this.

L2Read.

PS You can easily notice changes in HP when you got 2 DoTs on versus 1, even without DoT messages.
Last edited by Castle; 11-15-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwoth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
dots did not stack in classic, some new additions to the various lines did in kunark (winged death stacked with drifting death, splurt with whatever necro magic dot and so on)
Quote:
exploit - is the code word for they outleveled me and are now outfarming me
Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DarthPeon, you're quoting 2002. I am quoting 2001. Their DoTs did stack. If your DoT wore off you would get a message, and getting the message of your old DoT wearing off when you cast a new one is pretty obvious kthx. If you got proof from 2001 or earlier, bring it. Your speculation doesn't change the truth; other Shamans and necros that shared shaman DoTs can attest to this.

L2Read.
I am quoting original everquest developers stating that the multi class dot patch of 2002 still did not include inferior dots stacking with superior dots. You are merely taking fault with their choice of example. Do you expect them to spell out every dot and class to drive the point home? Those people you are quoting are confused. If you re-read my first response, the top link included also settled the matter on these servers through a bug submission.

Cheers
Last edited by DarthPeon; 11-15-2011 at 11:48 AM..
Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote the developers saying Shaman DoTs didn't stack. You're extending their quote to include something it doesn't say *shrug* The statements made by the devs and the statements made by multiple players during the era are not contradictory. Sorry brah, I played a shaman, I know.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by valithteezee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello folks,

same dot lines cannot stack.

K sounds like it is working correctly, moving on now.

Insidious malady and plague should stack tho.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
K sounds like it is working correctly, moving on now.

Insidious malady and plague should stack tho.
Lol, way to quote out of context. I posted this thread because I was unsure of the specifics, never stated anything in stone. What I've gathered so far is that druid and necro spells of the same line, DO NOT STACK. However, shaman spells, which are an exception to the general rule SHOULD be stacking. Several people who have played shamans have supported this statement. This is important because disease based dots are typically more mana efficient than our poison based dots and it would be beneficial to stack them, as originally intended.

Unless people can otherwise disprove my claim that same line shaman spells did not stack, I will continue to support my claim.

Saying that Shamans are OP already is completely irrelevant to the discussion and has no basis in this debate.

Although this server is not 100% classic it is intended to come as close as possible.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Aviak

my castered memory is that you couldnt stack dots from the same line back in the day, but as time moved on to late kunark and beyond it was irrelevant with most necro spells due to the damage differences, so it really is trying to think back a ways.
i definitely remember figuring out which necro was going to cast which dot when more than one was around because we couldnt land the same one on one target.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

Final word on Shamans' DoTs.

http://web.archive.org/web/200203050...ll.asp?Id=1184
Quote:
STACKING, By Falkar the everwalker (1/28/2001)

Yes, this spell will stack with others. All DOT spells of the same type do stack.
Can it get any clearer?

http://web.archive.org/web/200203050...ll.asp?Id=1184
Quote:
DOTS, By Scratchen (1/28/2001)

When I started EQ I played an Enchanter and use to cast thier DOT (Damage over Time) spell over and over thinking that it worked like a DD (Direct Damage). Now EQ has a message that indicates when the spell wears off, but along with these messages came a nerf. DOTS require that the subject be still in order to have the full effect. So dont be fooled by old messages about casting this awesome dot and then running around with SOW or something. You wont get the damage out of this spell unless the critter is holding still, and this includes when they start walking away from you. Make sure you cast this spell toward the beginning and dont recast it like I did. ID Use Blind or the Frosty spell to pull a critter, and then once you have it in front of you, this spell casts fast enough to get it in between punches.
So everyone in the other posts who said they were stacking all received messages when DoTs wore off meaning if they overwrote the DoT they would know. This was the same time you got "did not take hold" message as well. This means whether they casted a higher or lower level spell they'd get a "wore off" or "did not take hold" message. It's highly unlikely all of these people could be that absentminded to grind 100s and 100s of mobs (with slow classic xp) and not notice these messages they receive every fight...

http://web.archive.org/web/200208110...ll.asp?Id=1114
Quote:
ALL SHAMAN DOTS DO STACK
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2002i have a lvl 20 shaman and my main is a 54 cleric. i have tried stacking all my dots onto myslef and the DO stack on myself other players and mobs. it is great at this lvl to stack all 3 of your dis dots you get.
Hmmm... pretty clear.

Quote:

SPELL STACKING
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2002All Shaman spells Stack. Period. so in theory, Sickness, Tainted Breath, Affliction, Evenomed Breath,Scourge,Venom of the Snake,Evenomed Bolt, Plauge,Bane of Nife,and Pox of Bertoxxulous can ALL BE ON ONE MOB AT THE SAME TIME. every spell wills tack, poison, disease, AE, WHATEVER. try stuff before you post stuff. I can guarantee you you have not played a shaman to 19, or have not tried stacking 3 DoTs at ONCE!!! Sorry, got a little hot headed... but I hate it when people say things they dont know, have not tried, and care not to try.
The more things change.. the more they stay the same, and history repeats itself. Dru, nec, enc telling us Shamans our DoTs don't stack lolz...

Quote:
BLAH
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002All of your different poison DoTs will stack as well as all of your different disease DoTs. But if you're grouped with another shaman both of your tainted breath's won't stack.
Word.

This case (in regards to Shaman DoTs) is closed.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Sarnak

Dot stacking did not work in classic regardless of class, shamans wereno exception. Those links you post date 2001, that is 2 expansions later which sounds about right when this feature was added.

You obviously do not understand how much dps dot stacking can do, or you do Which is why you are fighting to have it implemented.

Allakazham patch notes should have a detail about "lesser dots of the same line now stack". I remember this specifically at raids, dot classes were mad not being able to dot raid targets if someone else already did as same line ds not stack even with other players ( or 2 shm can't poison same target) I'll find the reference later.

Same line dot stacking is not classic and would overpower 3 classes.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Aviak

Melveny's memory fits mine of the originial situation with dots, as a necro anyways.
all the quotes i see from patches or from old posts are all post expansion.
can't someone who cares way more than i do find anything from pre-kunark?
Closed Thread