Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 02:47 PM
Fire Giant

Default 60FPS causing game to run poorly?

Before the cap was implemented I would run the game at a locked 90FPS no problem. NEVER dipped below 90FPS be it in raids or EC tunnel etc. Now that this 60FPS hardcap has been implemented I'm sitting in EC tunnel hovering around 45FPS which NEVER happened before on this PC.

Anyone else having similar issues? I've tried forcing both my CPU and GPU to run at max clockspeeds full time and that hasn't helped.

EDIT: To clarify I'm sitting here in EC dropping as low as 31-34FPS, meanwhile my CPU core running EQ is sitting @ only 39% utilization and my GPU is around 11% utilized. NEVER had this problem before the "FPS patch." Any help would be great - if I wanted to play P99 @ 30fps I'd go play on my $250 laptop that I bought specifically for that purpose!
Last edited by Vizax_Xaziv; 10-06-2019 at 03:01 PM..
Old 10-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

You may want to try this forum section https://www.project1999.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=40

I've been playing at 60 fps since 2010 with no issues. It may be pebcak.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It may be pebcak.
It ain't no PEBCAK but nice try. I'm playing WOW Classic right now just to retest things and I'm standing in Stormwind in the middle of a couple hundred players and I'm sitting at a locked 140FPS, zero dips. Frametime graph is literal flatline @ 7.1ms/frame.

Though I COULD use a new office chair....hmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been playing at 60 fps since 2010 with no issues.
Like I said, I haven't played in a couple months but NEVER had this issue before the "FPS Hardcap" was introduced.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Planar Protector

I don't believe this is the OP's imagination or his computer. It is happening to me as well. Ever since the new patch last weekend, I notice light changes on the ground and flickers everywhere in the world and my game is CONSTANTLY "stuttering" when I look or move around.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Aviak

I don't think it's the FPS cap, or at least, it might be more than just the FPS cap. I think it has something to do with the removal of the "Use Advanced Lighting" checkbox from the Advanced menu under the Display tab and now it's locked it to on.

The "Advanced lighting" always looked absolutely terrible to me; constant flickering, super bright/washed out, and absolutely tanks my laptop's performance with more than a dozen people onscreen so I always played with it off and noticed immediately when they forced it back on. You can force it off with the "/dyn" command and zoning, but this completely disables ALL dynamic light sources.

I think they're forcing it on to do something with trying to restore classic night vision, but Advanced Lighting wasn't classic, looks terrible, and tanks performance for certain hardware, mostly integrated or older discrete GPUs from what I've gathered.

I'm curious, if people who are having a problem could go to somewhere like the tunnel, and check their FPS with /dyn on and off (remember you have to zone for it to take effect) it might help narrow down if this related to the problem or not.
Last edited by Daud; 10-06-2019 at 05:35 PM..
Old 10-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The "Advanced lighting" always looked absolutely terrible to me; constant flickering, super bright/washed out
I absolutely agree. This was EverQuest TRYING to move towards a more modern look which, in MY opinion, absolutely failed (ie Luclin models etc.) I would assume the advanced lighting was part of the "Luclin graphics overhaul?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm curious, if people who are having a problem could go to somewhere like the tunnel, and check their FPS with /dyn on and off (remember you have to zone for it to take effect) it might help narrow down if this related to the problem or not.
Gonna login and try this out in a few minutes here. I'll post back in a bit! Thx for the advice (someone actually PMed me the same thing) but I should NOT have to disable anything to run this game properly on my rig (9900K // 3600MHz DDR4 // 1080Ti)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ever since the new patch last weekend, I notice light changes on the ground and flickers everywhere in the world
Awww dammit bro why did you have to point this out to me? I cannot fucking unsee this now lmao.

Hadn't noticed it til now, but yea, I'm also getting alot of flickering on what is either textures and/or lightning.
Last edited by Vizax_Xaziv; 10-06-2019 at 06:21 PM..
Old 10-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
I don't think it's the FPS cap, or at least, it might be more than just the FPS cap. I think it has something to do with the removal of the "Use Advanced Lighting" checkbox from the Advanced menu under the Display tab and now it's locked it to on.

The "Advanced lighting" always looked absolutely terrible to me; constant flickering, super bright/washed out, and absolutely tanks my laptop's performance with more than a dozen people onscreen so I always played with it off and noticed immediately when they forced it back on. You can force it off with the "/dyn" command and zoning, but this completely disables ALL dynamic light sources.

I think they're forcing it on to do something with trying to restore classic night vision, but Advanced Lighting wasn't classic, looks terrible, and tanks performance for certain hardware, mostly integrated or older discrete GPUs from what I've gathered.

Try /dynamic off, and then zone see if it makes it better.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:47 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endonde [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Try /dynamic off, and then zone see if it makes it better.
/dyn and /dynamic are the same thing.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:01 PM
Fire Giant

Yea "/dynamic off" didn't make any noticeable difference. Tried both zoning and relogging entirely to be sure.

Not sure what the problem is honestly. As I said my CPU is MAXING OUT at around 70% usage on the main core running eqgame.exe (that's standing in the entrance to the EC tunnel looking back through ALL the players in the tunnel w/ max range clip and actor clip)
Old 10-06-2019, 07:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
/dyn and /dynamic are the same thing.
Sorry must have missed that part in your original post.