Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 04:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a result, I'm left not understanding how you (or anyone else) could think the most classic thing to do was disable quest XP for a month. Disabling a fundamental part of classic EQ (on the server you spent ten years preparing for) doesn't seem like something a person who puts classic EQ first would do.
The P99 patch process seems pretty involved and Rogean seems to be necessary to do a lot of it, and his availability seems very limited.

From playing with eqemu on my private server I know you can disable quest xp with a quick DB change / hotfix, and this doesn't necessitate pushing new code.

Every other way I can think of to do more targetted nerfing of quest XP (like say, disabling quest xp over level ~20 via a change to the perl quest libs) involves a patch or server reset.

I'm about 99% sure that's the limiting factor. They can't do patches / code changes easily without Rogean's involvement.

I've had a lot of interactions with staff and I can say I don't recognize Nilbog from what you make him out to be in your post. There are some server balance considerations but 99% of the time if you give them classic evidence they make the change when they find the time.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:58 AM
Planar Protector

Never seen Loramin this pissy over something, well played staff. Maybe he was hoarding scrolls too.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:11 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
However ... your actions have spoken for you, and you have chosen (as you very often do) not to explain those actions.
Imagine a world where we need to rush to the forums to clear up every misconception that people post. Jeez, sounds like an exhausting, unproductive life.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 12-14-2020, 11:40 AM
Banned

Red when daddy
Old 12-14-2020, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I never try to speak for anyone, and certainly not anyone I respect as much as you and Rogean. My apologies if I came across as trying to speak for you or anyone else.

However ... your actions have spoken for you, and you have chosen (as you very often do) not to explain those actions. As a result, I'm left not understanding how you (or anyone else) could think the most classic thing to do was disable quest XP for a month. Disabling a fundamental part of classic EQ (on the server you spent ten years preparing for) doesn't seem like something a person who puts classic EQ first would do.

And again, not trying to speak for anyone ... but the only reason staff has presented has been that it was "speed running" related (the explanation given was something to the effect that quest XP would let people level too fast, especially given the fact that people could use multiple accounts to store quest items). Clearly the reason wasn't because (after ten years) you suddenly just discovered that quests give XP ... so in the absence of any further explanation, based on your actions, it truly seems to an outside observer like myself that speed running > classic EQ now.

I'd love to be able to discuss that without it being a Rant or Flame, but if need be I'm happy to move there.
Server health is a consideration and has been for quite some time. This is a classic emulation but it isn't classic, we know a lot more now, and if people were allowed to play the game today unfettered with all that knowledge we would still have armies of elves running around instagibbing dragons with ivandyr's hoop spam. Or we'd all still be leveling 51-60 AOEing in Chardok. Then there was the GM managed rotation and class system which was an attempt to address P99's very non-classic raid scene and make it look a little more like servers actually did. It wasn't that they discovered that quests gave XP, the problem was that enough of the community discovered these avenues to the extent that it started to undermine core gameplay, with people collecting scrolls and fangs and chips and scalps and ears or whatever else instead of fighting monsters.
Last edited by Lune; 12-14-2020 at 11:52 AM..
Old 12-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Sarnak

Could it be that we are simply seeing the progression from "dark blue" to "light blue" here for a level 41 mob as someone goes from level 54 to level 55? I haven't been able to confirm whether the blurb on the wiki is correct about 50% XP for light blue and 25% XP for XP greens, but if it is, that could be the culprit, no? Based on what they wrote for level 56, it's seems like a doubling of the XP necessary (which can just be the fact that the mob is giving half the XP it used to).

People with more time on their hands than me can run those numbers :P.
Last edited by Sabin76; 12-14-2020 at 11:57 AM..
Old 12-14-2020, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could it be that we are simply seeing the progression from "dark blue" to "light blue" here for a level 41 mob as someone goes from level 54 to level 55? I haven't been able to confirm whether the blurb on the wiki is correct about 50% XP for light blue and 25% XP for XP greens, but if it is, that could be the culprit, no? Based on what they wrote for level 56, it's seems like a doubling of the XP necessary (which can just be the fact that the mob is giving half the XP it used to).

People with more time on their hands than me can run those numbers :P.
That was my thinking as well at first, but OP said the mob still conned blue at 55, and 55 should have required fewer kills than 54 I think is the point.

I think there are still some things we don't really understand about experience. This thread for one is another unsolved mystery.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine a world where we need to rush to the forums to clear up every misconception that people post. Jeez, sounds like an exhausting, unproductive life.
Not at all! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] It would be insane if you had to answer every concern from this forum!

But look, you and Nilbog often say stuff to the effect that "this place (and Green in particular) is all about classic EQ", right? I'm not being unfair and putting words in your mouth by saying that?

You'll also admit that a one month moratorium on quest XP isn't classic: it's an objective fact that there was no quest XP disabling in the first month of Kunark in '00, correct?

All I'm saying is, after ten-plus years of saying "classic is priority #1" ... only on the very rare occasions when you do something that directly contradicts what you've been saying for ten years ... would it really be so terrible to give us a sentence or two explaining why?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:01 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Not at all! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] It would be insane if you had to answer every concern from this forum!

But look, you and Nilbog often say stuff to the effect that "this place (and Green in particular) is all about classic EQ", right? I'm not being unfair and putting words in your mouth by saying that?

You'll also admit that a one month moratorium on quest XP isn't classic: it's an objective fact that there was no quest XP disabling in the first month of Kunark in '00, correct?

All I'm saying is, after ten-plus years of saying "classic is priority #1" ... only on the very rare occasions when you do something that directly contradicts what you've been saying for ten years ... would it really be so terrible to give us a sentence or two explaining why?
How about you stfu, in case you hadn't noticed, people think you are annoying and literally noone is standing up for you.

I've posted similar things in the past, you aren't the p1999 spokesperson, no matter how hard you pretend to be or believe to be. Your thinly veiled bullshit is appreciated by exactly noone.

Hope this helps, enjoy your day!

In case you didn't notice, Nilbog posted neither him or Rogean are aware of intentional changes, yet you continue whining about them not giving an explanation, so here is a reminder:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are no known changes to the exp rate between green and blue. If there is something different with it, we will need to take some time and examples to work through the code and discover what it is. Quickly conferring with Rogean, he is also not aware of any intentional changes made.
Last edited by derpcake2; 12-14-2020 at 01:11 PM..
Old 12-14-2020, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The P99 patch process seems pretty involved and Rogean seems to be necessary to do a lot of it, and his availability seems very limited.

From playing with eqemu on my private server I know you can disable quest xp with a quick DB change / hotfix, and this doesn't necessitate pushing new code.

Every other way I can think of to do more targetted nerfing of quest XP (like say, disabling quest xp over level ~20 via a change to the perl quest libs) involves a patch or server reset.

I'm about 99% sure that's the limiting factor. They can't do patches / code changes easily without Rogean's involvement.

I've had a lot of interactions with staff and I can say I don't recognize Nilbog from what you make him out to be in your post. There are some server balance considerations but 99% of the time if you give them classic evidence they make the change when they find the time.
I didn't intend to "make anyone out to be" anything. I simply started with two objectively true facts: 1) R&N do claim classic EQ is priority #1 (especially on Green), and 2) disabling a core mechanic of the game for a month isn't classic.

Seeing those facts from the outside, all that's clear is that something was higher priority to the staff than keeping classic EQ quest mechanics. Based on the only communication provided, I inferred that server firsts ("speed runs") were the priority.

If my guess was wrong, the staff could just ignore me (I'm just one dumb poster). Or they could ban me for making their life difficult. OR they could give not just me, but our whole community (which "joined the cult of classic" because of them), just a couple sentences of communication:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staff
Yes we know that disabling quest XP for a month is unclassic, and our goal is still to keep things classic. We decided having Kunark be a few days late (so we could code up a better solution like quest XP caps) would be more unclassic than disabling quest XP for a month.
They don't "owe us that " at all. Period. End stop. But as members of the cult of classic that they indoctrinated us into ... it certainly would be nice.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 12-14-2020 at 01:20 PM..
Closed Thread