Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Starting off the game, EQ classic is mostly just a gambling machine, to see if your character will die or not. I can understand someone not enjoying it, or saying it requires no skill but its still my favorite game. /shrugs
Yeah the first time I played live EQ back in 99, I think I rolled a human wizard and immediately died like ten times in a row and gave up and went back to playing UO for like three months. Eventually came back to EQ and made a barb shaman and by the time I made it to level 5 I was hooked.

Lots of generous people here though who can hook him up with some starting plat and maybe a decent weapon which makes the first few levels much more bearable.
Last edited by Ooloo; 08-22-2021 at 01:06 PM..
Old 08-22-2021, 08:01 PM
Fire Giant

Yea I quit the game the first time I played. I wonder if there was a general population marketed MMO out at the time, if I would have never played EQ, and experience the real of an MMO.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:42 PM
Sarnak

Necro will be great! Very fun and versatile class.

Don’t worry about min/maxing
Do worry about adventuring! Go places, try things, progress, die, get frustrated, do it again and love it!

And don’t forget to be evil (to NPCs be nice to the rest of us!) that’s a really fun way to play the game.

Blue is great, more mature populace. Green will be great too, and does tend to capture more new players so there’s a sightly better low level population.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good afternoon all,

I just thought I'd drop a quick hello and gather people's thoughts on the best place for a newbie to start? Blue? Green? I'm from the UK, I do hope there's an EU player base as well as a US?

In the late 90's early 00's, Asheron's Call and Ultima Online always took precedence in my MMO world. I have never played EQ in any form. I feel as though I've missed out and I want to come and experience EQ in it's classic form. I have no doubt the learning curve for EQ will be steep (something I'm really looking forward to, I had trouble answering the question on Forum registration! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

Thanks in advance for any replies and I look forward to seeing some of you in Norrath when I get started!
Hello Griffo,

P99 is the closest you can find to classic but of course there are differences. P99 is its own animal really. Part of what makes an MMORPG is the player base, how many table top people are around etc.

This era of EQ is known for its near complete lack of hand holding. Players or the Wiki page will be your guide. Note: Something you will not get to experience here on P99 that was very much part of classic eq was trawling through user web pages searching for information. It's pretty much all compiled and ready for your use, there is hardly any guess work involved.

EQ is a buggy game full of glitches (that early Windows computer game nostalgia). The ones that are still in game have become part of smart game play. For example, careful where you sit in a dungeon.

Also a word to the wise, never afk at a dungeon zone in. Always find a safe spot before leaving the keyboard.

Have a good one.

Edit: Before I forget, while these servers are locked in that they never change or progress, the players do. Mega guilds will come and go, the same players stay around. Some of them were the best players ever on EQ and still have titles from back in the day. Some changes are not permanent so remember that when 'EQ Drama' strikes and it will strike. (its part of the game)

Be aware:
Quote:
We are all 300lb men with ripped 6-pack abs, we are all multi-millionaire Lawyers who practice Medicine and only date 10/10 playboy bunnies in our mom's basement. -P99 forum culture.
Last edited by Mblake1981; 08-22-2021 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: blah blah blah
Old 08-23-2021, 03:54 AM
Planar Protector

Druid to 19 and then re-evalute what you want to do.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

rip asherons call

best game ever made

(eq doesnt come close, sorry lads)
Old 08-23-2021, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
rip asherons call

best game ever made

(eq doesnt come close, sorry lads)
Different games. AC doesn't come close to EQ, link the AC forum where you posted the other response to this then.