Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 05:01 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New player guidance

Hello all, its been about 20 years since I last played EQ, but I recently found out about this project and I am excited to give it a shot. I have some free time and want to get started on the best foot possible. So I have a couple questions for the veteran players out there.

1) Does it matter which server I start on? I know green is the newer one and maybe slightly more populated, but blue seems pretty active as well. From what I can gather there is a slightly different rule set between them as well right.

2) Are there some noob friendly communities out there? I remember classic EQ, especially the starter levels, being brutally hard. Having some knowledgeable people around would be very useful, and heck having good people to chat with just always makes games more fun.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:36 AM
Decaying Skeleton

it seems that green will be better for low to mid level grouping. i started on green 2 weeks ago and have been able to group every night from level 4 to 19.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:25 AM
Fire Giant

I believe Castle on Green and Ex Astra on blue are both active leveling guilds. A /who all Castle or /who all Ex should bring up members who are online and could fill you in.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:41 AM
Banned

Green has a slightly different ruleset, here’s some differences off the top of my head:

1. No pet window. If you play a pet class and want to know its health, it’s good to build in /pet report health lines into your pet attack and pet back off macros. Or just click your pet a LOT to keep tabs on its health

2. No custom UI’s. The titanium client that p99 runs on is light years better than the original, much to p99 creator’s dismay (they want a full re-creation). And thank goodness for that

3. No tab target cycling. You can still use tab to target the nearest mob to your char. And you’ll notice there is a cycle tab target button in the options menu that you can hotkey. On blue server, hitting that hotkey will target the next nearest mob, and the next, and the next, if you keep hitting it. On green this does nothing, no matter what you bind it to. Of all classes this screws enchanters they hardest, as they are responsible for targeting and cc’ing specific mobs during a train. Some players refuse to even play enchanters on green due to this. I find that while it’s a pain, it’s still somewhat do-able to manage trains of mobs clumped up on top of each other if you are a fast typer with clever use of typing out the /tar “mob_name” command. This only works if the mobs have different names however. If they all have the same name, and are standing inside each other’s bodies, hahahah good luck with that one

4. No DOT damage in the combat window. If you play a DOT class like necro and like seeing how much damage your dots are doing…you are shit out of luck on Green. They’re still doing damage, you just can’t see it. This is how it was on classic EQ

There are other differences but as a caster (enchanter), these are the ones that I paid the most attention to
Last edited by unsunghero; 08-26-2021 at 11:50 AM..
Old 08-26-2021, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
4. No DOT damage in the combat window. If you play a DOT class like necro and like seeing how much damage your dots are doing…you are shit out of luck on Green. They’re still doing damage, you just can’t see it. This is how it was on classic EQ
You can't see dot damage on Blue either.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

inb4 someone says you can see DOT damage on Teal server. XD
Old 08-26-2021, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

I’m a veteran of P99 who returned recently and I think Blue is better for me and Green is better for new folks like yourself.

I do think the UI changes on Green are enough of a turnoff for many to justify playing on Blue. It’s a big reason servers like TAKP aren’t more popular.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteaded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’m a veteran of P99 who returned recently and I think Blue is better for me and Green is better for new folks like yourself.

I do think the UI changes on Green are enough of a turnoff for many to justify playing on Blue. It’s a big reason servers like TAKP aren’t more popular.
while i agree in a vacuum green is probbably th e best choice of a new player who wants to do much grouping. (if you want to soloconsider blue). that said, i've very curious of hwta you mean by ui "changes"?
Old 08-27-2021, 01:18 AM
Planar Protector

The UI options on green are horrible to me. No pet window, cycle target, limited hot keys. There are more but I can’t remember.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:13 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteaded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The UI options on green are horrible to me. No pet window, cycle target, limited hot keys. There are more but I can’t remember.
The pet window kept me on Blue as a returning player couple months ago.

I don't care how classic it is, spamming a hotkey for /pet health isn't fun.
Closed Thread