Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 02:21 AM
Orc

Default Cannibalize III

How much hit points should Cannibalize III take each cast? When I cast it the text says it took 100 hit points. But Lucy and Wiki seem to agree that it should be 74.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

The wiki is often wrong, and can stay wrong for years. I believe a lot of the wiki's information was directly pulled from other websites initially. The problem with that is a lot of the pulled information is not in line with P99's timeline. Most likely Cannibalize 3 was buffed after Velious to take less HP per cast, and that post Velious buff is the value displayed on the wiki. Allakazam has the same numbers as the wiki, for example, but Allakazam usually uses more up to date values, since it gets updated based on the Live servers.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=151273

This post from 2014 suggests Cannibalize 3 takes 100 HP and gives 39-46 mana. Nobody corrrected him on those numbers, and it obviously hasnt been changed any time between 2014 and now.

Unless someone brings evidence of Cannibalize 3 having different numbers during the Velious era or before, the wiki should just be corrected. The devs will not change it unless strong evidence is provided.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-06-2020 at 11:33 AM..
Old 12-06-2020, 11:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nobody corrrected him on those numbers, and it obviously hasnt been changed any time between 2014 and now.
Correction: On P1999 "Blue" canni3 was changed in 2016 at the time canni4 was added. It used to take 100 HP, now it takes 74 and returns somewhat less mana. The change effectively ruined the spell. The rate of recovery is simply too slow and it still loses in efficiency to canni2. In most cases I advise a leveling shaman to obtain canni2 and skip canni3 entirely. On green I believe it should be taking the higher amount; I think it was an era change and not a simple bug fix. Neither the wife nor myself had a shaman circa 2000-2001 so I have no direct personal recollection.

I assume the original poster is on Green. I just logged on the wife's shaman on Blue to check and it says in the text buffer it damaged for 74. This might be a case where the spell was perhaps not fully reverted for Green's era? Or is it actually doing 100 and the original poster is simply unaware of the era reversion?

Note that the Wiki--in addition to the issues Shamwowi mentions--was in many cases updated as Blue was changed and does not always reflect era changes appropriate for Green. Wiki editors have been making an effort this past year to try to add in era-specific entries but they can't be expected to remember absolutely everything.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 12-06-2020 at 11:55 AM..
Old 12-06-2020, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On P1999 "Blue" canni3 was changed in 2016 at the time canni4 was added. It used to take 100 HP, now it takes 75 and returns somewhat less mana. The change effectively ruined the spell. The rate of recovery is simply too slow and it still loses in efficiency to canni2. In most cases I advise a leveling shaman to obtain canni2 and skip canni3 entirely.

On green I believe it should be taking the higher amount; I think it was an era change and not a simple bug fix. Neither the wife nor myself had a shaman circa 2000-2001 so I have no direct personal recollection.

EDIT: I assume the original poster is on Green. I just logged on the wife's shaman on Blue to check and it says in the text buffer it damaged for 74. This might be a case where the spell was perhaps not fully reverted for Green's era?

Danth
Thanks for testing that out on blue. You are probably right, this is a case of the spell acting differently on green based on timeline. I don't play on green, and forget that happens. My guess is the P99 devs have snapshots of their codebase throughout the years, and use that for all of the era based patches. So if Cannibalize 3 was changed when Velious came out on P99, then you won't be seeing the most up to date version of the spell yet. That is another issue with the wiki right now, it hasn't been fully updated to support information on all eras of an entry. This is because we haven't needed that feature until green came out.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

I edited my post about half a dozen times making various changes but in either version the gist of it remains the same. Canni III wasn't changed RIGHT at Velious launch (which on Blue was in late summer 2015). Rather it was changed awhile later, corresponding to the spring 2001 era.

Danth
Old 12-06-2020, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I edited my post about half a dozen times making various changes but in either version the gist of it remains the same. Canni III wasn't changed RIGHT at Velious launch (which on Blue was in late summer 2015). Rather it was changed awhile later, corresponding to the spring 2001 era.

Danth
Thanks for the correction! That is good to know when the change occured. Where did you find that information, by the way? Were you going though p99 patch notes?
Old 12-06-2020, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

I'm going from memory. The wife's shaman could more or less keep up with Torpor using pre-nerf Canni3 (which she had been using for several years), but after the nerf the spell was way too slow and it was a significant handicap until we were able to get a copy of Canni4 to drop. Hence it sticks out in memory. Some higher-end players might not have even noticed because Canni4 was incorrectly dropping early from a couple higher-end raid named, so they would've replaced Canni3 before the change occurred.

EDIT: My earlier post may have been worded confusingly. Neither of us had a Shaman in 2000-2001 in the original game. The wife very much had her shaman on P1999 in 2016; we originally reached level 60 in the winter of 2012-2013, hence she had been using Canni3 a long time.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 12-06-2020 at 12:32 PM..
Closed Thread