View Poll Results: What's better, SK or PAL
Shadowknight 53 51.46%
Paladin 50 48.54%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 06:25 AM
Sarnak

Default SK and paladin, which one do you honestly think is better

Yeah it's subjective. We ain't writing scientific papers around here. What do you think? One knight better than the other or perfect cosmic balance?
Old 12-31-2020, 06:42 AM
Planar Protector

Better for what anyway?
Old 12-31-2020, 08:58 AM
Planar Protector

In a group they are even enough that it doesn't matter. If solo then a Shadowknight.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

Having played both extensively at high levels: I like the paladin a little better in full groups. I like the Shadow Knight better for solo/duo/smallman type stuff.

Danth
Old 12-31-2020, 10:14 AM
Planar Protector

Paladins for raiding
Paladins for soloing except for fear kiting or situations where fd is required
Sks for any group composition where a healer is present.
Paladin for any group composition where a healer isn’t present
Old 12-31-2020, 11:20 AM
Banned

Soulfire, close thread
Old 12-31-2020, 12:04 PM
Sarnak

The main difference between them is paladin healing ability vs SK pulling ability. If you're doing content that requires advanced pulling techniques then the SK is better, otherwise I'd take a paladin all day, every day. Even solo, I prefer paladin. Lull + root + click heals make life much better than chasing a feared mob around. The only reason I'd pick SK over pal for soloing is if I really need to have FD for easy AFKs.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Old 12-31-2020, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

SK if you are gonna be alone, Paladin if others are gonna see you (and your fiery sword!)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Honestly depends on the situation.

For raiding, Paladins win hands down. Soulfire and Divine Strength give them a job to do. Shadowknights rarely (if ever) get to pull, because Monks and Necromancers have better toolkits for the most part. Yes, Shadowknights are still good offtanks in raids, but so are Paladins. Paladins are probably the superior offtank as well, since raid mobs basically resist all Shadowknight spells.

For grouping, both are basically equal. Paladins work better in a group without a healer, Shadowknights work better in a group without a puller, and both are basically the same in a group with a healer and a puller.

In solo situations, it depends. Both Paladins and Shadowknights are bottlenecked by mana. Their mana pools are relatively small, and can get drained quickly if things go bad. Shadowknights deal more damage, and can kill mobs more mana efficiently than Paladins due to fear kiting and FD. This is especially true with caster mobs, because Paladins are forced to cast a lot of stuns, whereas a single fear can last for at least 40 seconds. However, Shadowknights lose a lot of options when fighting mobs that are highly magic resistant or immune to fear. In those cases, Paladins have the advantage because self heals cannot be resisted. That means they can spend all of their mana in the fight, whereas a Shadowknight wouldn't be able to use their spells, unless you do something like summon an eye to cast lifetap on.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Although, a Shadowknight could in theory kite a mob indefinately, with their pet attacking the mob from behind. Similar to this video I made of killing an Ice Burrower https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5fsvt1xfuqY , a Shadowknight could keep agro by chain casting https://wiki.project1999.com/Blood_Ember_Gauntlets , and keeping distance with JBoots or SoW pots. That means a Shadowknight can kill magic immune targets with enough time and kiting space. Would take forever, but it would be doable.

EDIT: Duh, they could just use disease cloud as well to keep agro. The spell cost is 5, so it is basically free if you have Flowing Thought I and II. Wouldn't be doable on summoning mobs sadly.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-31-2020 at 01:49 PM..
Closed Thread