Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

Default One Man's 16-Year Journey To Release An Self-Made MMO

I came across this Vice article about a guy who built his own MMOG (although it's 2D, like Ultima Online). I thought it might resonate with others here:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dp4...-by-themselves

As someone who learned Visual Basic 6 as one of my first languages (originally, like the guy in the article, to make my own computer games), and who still remembers Alta Vista and dial-up Internet, this was definitely a blast from the past. Hope others enjoy it also.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:08 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-21-2021, 06:14 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-23-2021, 11:12 PM
Banned

i dug this out of my links for you

Valley Forged: How One Man Made the Indie Video Game Sensation Stardew Valley (gq.com)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18095246
Old 02-23-2021, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snortles Chortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
vom. no wonder ur head is full of ugly stuff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-24-2021, 10:48 AM
Banned

Its not Ethan Casner, is it?
He's a fucking scammer. Remember "divergence" ??
Its not.
If you want to have a laugh look that one up.
What happened to frikken space roberts man game? "I made wing commander!! So I can make this game, which has taken... 10 years..." star citizen.
Last edited by Gravydoo II; 02-24-2021 at 10:56 AM..
Old 02-24-2021, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snortles Chortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i dug this out of my links for you

Valley Forged: How One Man Made the Indie Video Game Sensation Stardew Valley (gq.com)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18095246
A meaningful contribution from Snortles? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Seriously though, great article (and thanks for necroing the thread). I've never played Stardew Valley, though I've kinda wanted to check it out. Just reading about the guy who made it though, and his incredible dedication to the project, was super motivating.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

A good TLDR for stardew for normies (its evening news hehe) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YqdutJLIi8

I think the big factor for these games is that someone builds something small enough that they can manage it, and big enough that people get hooked into its loop, at that point the cyber market is so big that you have suddenly made 6 million dollars overnight.

The next great barrier for indi's is, does that mentally break you (night in the woods), do you just buy an island and quit (day z), or does that make you a titan (minecraft).. idk haha just making up stuff here, idk the backstory to dayz but it seemed to me they quit lol
Last edited by Jibartik; 02-24-2021 at 01:47 PM..
Old 02-24-2021, 03:30 PM
Banned

never played it either but enjoy such threads in addition to well Meming
Closed Thread