Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Kobold

Default Things I've learned as a DE SK Part 2

Hello again everyone! I'm back with a follow up that I promised forever ago. I took a break from p99 but have recently come back and started playing my SK again and thought it was time for this. If you missed the first part it can be found here.

Now that you've given that a look let's start part 2.

SOCIAL:
1. Join an active guild and for best results try to become an active member of that guild. Join guildies who are LFG, help lower level guildies with things, show up for guild events, join the discord (if applicable) and stay in touch even when you aren't playing. Staying active within your guild serves a few purposes.
A.You become a recognized as a helpful player within your guild and it will also help you build your network outside of the guild. Your guild mates will introduce you to their other friends.
B.It sets you up to start preparing for endgame early. They can help you start gathering keys, quest items for things like Soul Leech.
C. Keep you company. This for me is the biggest reason to join a guild. Even if I just plan to solo for a bit or sit in EC trying to buy and sell I still have someone to talk to. Norrath is a lonely place sometimes so it helps to have guild chatter.

COMBAT:

1. Be vocal. Not enough players of aby class do this and it's super helpful when anyone does it and it.normally rubs off onto others in the party. Call out adds, casters,, current mana, who to mez/root/fear/stun/snare/slow, when your buffs drop, current target, nearby mobs that haven't aggroed, anything that could be beneficial to the group. Be as vocal as possible.

2. Your soloing spell gems should be different than your grouping ones. Also if you're duoing/trioing with a less than perfect compilation make sure your spells reflect that and you use the ones that are the most beneficial for the riff raff party you're in.

3. Shadow Vortex is your new go to aggro generating spells as soon as you get it. If you're having a tough time holding aggroup or peeling use it in combination with Disease Cloud and Shroud of Hate but be warned this will burn through your mana even as a Dark Elf especially if you're also the one casting snare.

4. If you need to grab the attention of 3 or more mobs go with Wave of Enfeeblement it's an Aoe strength tap that generates decent aggro. You may have to throw a DC or SV on a mob or 2 as well.

5. When you are the one split pulling cast darkness on the mob you want, then when you Feign Death immediately hide. It helps the other mobs reset quicker and lessens the chance that they will still be pisses off once you stand up. By casting Darkness on one though it won't be able to path back to its original spot until the snare wears off so this is how you accomplish the split.

6.This is especially helpful when soloing or duoing with a non healer. Use you lifetaps to stay healthy. If you happen to get lower than you'd like med to full mana and find some nearby green mobs to tap down. This is much faster to get back to full health and mana than just sitting there.

7. If you are just sitting around meddling use hide and then con things that are normally aggressive to see if they've become indifferent. If so feel free to med while afk if not try again until it works.

GENERAL:

1. Gear. Ok if you are a true blue nooby save your plays for a set of Banded Armor approximately 100 for all pieces total. A Sword of Sky fire also around 100p, an Argent Defender 50ish pp. And keep an eye on Kithicor Forest for a guild raiding it. A lot of times an Ashenbone Shield will just rot in there. Of course ask someone in said guild if you could loot it and most likely they will day yes and you have a free shield to last you to 50+. Also save up around 500p iirc and get a set of 5ac/55hp rings. You're set for quite sometime once you've acquired all of these. Then start saving for crusty armor, a mace of the shadowed soul, noct blade, deathbringers rod, and I went for axe of lost souls for 2hs.

2. When upgrading gear this is how I personally prioritize AC>HP>resist>STR>STA. I think this is best for dark elves because obviously ac and HP are your main tanking factors followed by resists, I put strength before stamina because I feel it's the better return while leveling. It adds to your carry weight and damage where as just a few stamina is only going to convert into a couple of HP which imo is negligable.

3.Weight reduction bags. Buy to 10% ones from tailors. Group at the high pass orcs to get shralok pack, move to south karana and camp the troll sk for lion hide backpack, and then lguk for evil eye bag. Ad a Dark Elf that wears plate and wants to have lots of metal things to swing at enemies these bags will make your life so much easier.

4. Find the merchants that are friendly enough to sell to you wherever you are. In most of Antonica this isn't much of a problem. Faydwer on the other hand. I use the druid at the Steamfront rings most of the time. I'm pretty sure she's indifferent to everyone but you might make sure before dealing with her. You will have to find your own me chants as you faction standings likely aren't the same as mine everywhere.

I hope that I have helped atleast a few of you out there. I know Dark Elven Shadowknights aren't considered the min/max race but I personally wouldn't play any other race. I know I'm not alone. Some of these things are for SKs in general and some for Dark Elves in general. If you liked these posts from me look for another when I hit 60. And thanks for staying all the way to the end.
Last edited by Kendir; 07-15-2018 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Typo in title
Old 07-15-2018, 08:58 PM
Kobold

Tried to fix typos but apparently I waited too long.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:31 PM
Planar Protector

Put all points in stamina, for definite. When I first raided Kael arena (in planar+Kunark gear) I was well below what a similar geared ogre SK's health was at and it was bad for clerics if I was tanking.

Nice post OP
Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 AM
Planar Protector

Sta? A couple of hp? You convert each sta as 5hp at 60,so that ten sta items got a 50hp bonus at 60...
Old 07-16-2018, 12:28 AM
Kobold

This is just for leveling but I didn't realize that was the case at 60 (haven't gotten there yet) but for me personally I'd rather have the higher strength while leveling so I can carry more loot.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is just for leveling but I didn't realize that was the case at 60 (haven't gotten there yet) but for me personally I'd rather have the higher strength while leveling so I can carry more loot.
Especially as a dark elf. But, in picking dark elf you’ve already settled for 57 less stamina.

Unless you’re planning on going endgame min/max the importance of stamina as a stat is grossly overstated by the general p99 community. By level 60 the returns are 1:6 for warriors, 1:5.2 for knights.

25 dumped into stamina vs all points spent elsewhere is thus worth 150hp for a warrior at level 60 (less before). For my 60 warrior 3200 unbuffed - less than a 5% increase to unbuffed hp. For any encounter that really matters, when you consider 1500hp from aego and focus (not even including stamina buffs) - well now we’re looking at 4700 buffed hp. That 25 stamina now represents a 3% increase in max hp. Factor in Sham stamina buff +/- paladin/ranger and the % impact is even smaller.

Knights only get 20 points ... all or nothing is 104hp at level 60.

The difference between ogre and dark elf? 296hp. That’s a lot, but you also have 70 lower starting strength. As a plate class - that’s going to suck.

TLDR?

I haven’t put a single point into stamina on any character and haven’t regretted it once. 150 more hp is a drop in the bucket and once you start hitting the content where high hp pools clearly matter - you’re also hunting content where raw hp on raid drops are 50-100 per slot and stamina prevalence on gear is more of a given.

The quality of your gear and the attentiveness of your healers is infinitely more important.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 07-16-2018, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

Having adequate Strength is a huge quality of life deal on any toon - especially for a plate class (heavy gear) playing anything other than a large race.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 07-16-2018, 04:07 PM
Banned

even i put all my points into STR as a SK troll this time around
Old 07-16-2018, 10:24 PM
Planar Protector

Having adequate str is great for sure, but keep in mind that at higher lvl str will be capped really easily thx to shamans, there's little point to go over 190 str... And pretty much half of our gear has str...
Old 07-19-2018, 03:13 AM
Planar Protector

WR bags you guys, not hard to acquire.

Still think stamina is your best option or 5 STR at most.