Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 01:33 AM
Large Bat

Default Mage Duo(Priest Class)

Which priest class is the best duo partner for a mage? Mainly for harder content and dungeon crawling.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:37 AM
Fire Giant

Shaman at endgame due to slow, torpor, and being able to make their own Mana

Cleric 1 to 59
Old 08-14-2018, 02:55 AM
Fire Giant

I think another mage would be better than a priest. That way you always have 1 pet out to tank, and summoning new pets is less mana than healing one. Plus, you double your DPS.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:03 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think another mage would be better than a priest. That way you always have 1 pet out to tank, and summoning new pets is less mana than healing one. Plus, you double your DPS.
for leveling up this is very true, 2 mages pretty good albeit extremely straight forward and lazy combo. However he specifically asked what priest class duo's well with mage , and further added for harder content and dungeon crawling
Old 08-14-2018, 12:31 PM
Planar Protector

Duo with a priest leaves you without true CC. Cleric can lull, sham can slow/off-tank, druid can evac. Pick your poison.

I'd be tempted to pick another caster like a chanter or necro if you are into squishy dungeon crawling.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which priest class is the best duo partner for a mage? Mainly for harder content and dungeon crawling.
given the 3 choices, shaman will be best in a dungeon crawling situation. Druid will be better in outdoor zones where charm is available. I don't think cleric is a very good option in a Mage duo.

Druid is a very close second IMO.

But the rulebreakingly obvious choice is enchanter. For 2 simple reasons,
Mana regen for both of you and Charm.

When it comes to Duos, enchanter is the choice of a caster class, and necromancer is the choice for melee class, excluding warrior. Warrior needs to be coupled with Druid or Shaman.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Duo with a priest leaves you without true CC. Cleric can lull, sham can slow/off-tank, druid can evac. Pick your poison.

I'd be tempted to pick another caster like a chanter or necro if you are into squishy dungeon crawling.
Cleric is rediculous cc with stuns, roots, fears, but most of all the soothe/atone combo. Send unwanted mobs back to their spawn or just keep them completely unaggroed rooted in camp.

As a Mage I'd want Druid 14-24, shaman 24-29, Druid 29-35, shaman 35-39, cleric 39-60. Fully geared/spelled I'd want shaman at 60.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When it comes to Duos, enchanter is the choice of a caster class, and necromancer is the choice for melee class, excluding warrior. Warrior needs to be coupled with Druid or Shaman.
How is necromancer the choice for a melee class in a duo? They're pretty much limited to fear kiting outdoor zones at higher levels, and if you've ever fear kited on a melee, it gets old real fast trying to stay in their hit box, even with snare.

A melee class is going to be infinitely better with a shaman than a necromancer. On my paladin I'd even consider taking an enchanter over shaman in a duo.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How is necromancer the choice for a melee class in a duo? They're pretty much limited to fear kiting outdoor zones at higher levels, and if you've ever fear kited on a melee, it gets old real fast trying to stay in their hit box, even with snare.

A melee class is going to be infinitely better with a shaman than a necromancer. On my paladin I'd even consider taking an enchanter over shaman in a duo.
Fear kite is tremendously powerful and eliminates the need for most heals. I have fear kited in many dungeon zones, including guk, high keep guards, and KC. The beauty of necro with melee is that the melee can be pulling another mob at 20% of the mobs life while the necro pet finishes it off.

The problem with priest classes is that they don't have the DPS that a necro has, which is vitally important. They also don't have mana recovery, except for shaman, but shaman will be healing instead of DPS. Yes shaman and druid have dots and nukes, but the dps from a skelly pet is outrageous and it's virtually mana free. On top of that, necro can heal, and they can lifetap. Yes a druid can charm, but it's limited to animals and plants and it breaks all the time. Yes a shaman can slow and haste, I'll give them that, but slow produces huge amounts of aggro. But you tell me which is better, a spell that cuts the attack rate of a mob, or a spell that stops the mob from attacking altogether?

So while a melee might do better damage with a shaman, exp and efficiently very much favors necro. The necro is happy to duo with the melee for 3 reasons, 1) melee can chain pull while necro meds, 2) Necro doesn't need to worry about pet doing 51% damage 3) necro enjoys the company of another warm blood

And please don't bring torpor into this. It's a level 60 spell that 90% of casuals can't afford.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Planar Protector

Have you fear kited in Seb, in HS, in velks, in chardok, in KC basement? Any high level zone or area that's worth a damn?

I admire your creativity with the necro, but the fact is they aren't THE choice for a melee class are you stated in your previous post. A shamans slow is so powerful that they aren't gonna just be spamming heals nonstop as you seem to think. Their epic is nearly equivalent to necro's most powerful dot, and they also have other great dots and a pet.

As a melee I can tell you following a feared mob sucks, there's nothing remotely fun about constantly moving around and trying to keep up with the mob.
Closed Thread