Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:15 AM
Sarnak

Didn't read all of this thread, but this guy got it on the first page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The barrier to entry is incredibly high on red. There is for the most part no one to level with, no economy to speak of, and it feels like a ghost town. The EXP bonus makes the journey to 60 rather quick on a solo class and the end game is a huge bore. There's only one guild to play, getting non vulak / dozekar items is incredibly easy, so you basically "win" EverQuest in a very short period of time. There's no EC Tunnel Quest so it's not as though you can go farm items and play the auction metagame; there's not tons of organic grouping going on to level alts up with; and everyone you play with at the end game has the exact same end game gear you do so there's little to no feeling of accomplishment. Couple that with the fact that there will never be new content and you have a recipe for boredom and disinterest.

Blue, despite having the same issue of a lack of content, has a [artificially] "competitive" end game scene which means it takes significantly longer to "win" the game by getting all your raid gear. This keeps the carrot on the end of the stick for you to keep on logging in. It also has a robust economy so for those who are interested in the metagame of acquiring platinum can participate in that. There is also an influx of new players to level up with again because when someone hears about P99 for the first time are they rolling up on a 19 person box or 600 person box? Couple that with the fact that a lot of people just don't like PvP.

All the talk about "toxic" player base and everything else just ignores the real fundamental issues with the server. A re-release, with a clear rule set, GM enforcement, a safe zone such as EC [yes guilds use it to buff up and prep, but the positives outweigh the negatives], classic EXP gain, and a higher death penalty; would all go a long way to driving up the population on this server. However, there will never be a wipe, and dramatic changes on this box where everyone has 11 vulak geared alts isn't going to generate any significant interest.
Box needs a reset to vanilla (ideally w/ teams ruleset).

Relative "safe" zones were built-in on VZ/TZ/SZ and your allies/enemies were clearly defined. That lowers the barrier to entry for casual players.

If Kunark and Velious progression is necessary to keep on a low-pop box like this, I feel like they should be on limited timelines. There aren't and never have been enough players on EQEmu to support the size of those expansions on a red server. It's still high because this is Everquest in 2018, but it's not as bad as FFA. And if live servers were any indication, there's more PvP on teams servers despite there being "more targets" on RZ (which basically became a ghetto blue server while there were epic race wars for zone control on VZ and TZ).

I'm sure the hardcore playerbase has long since BIS-geared their 8th alt by now, so what else is left for them to do? I know I won't bother playing here again unless it does get reset because the current state of the server just doesn't interest me. If I wanted to grind PvE content by myself I'd do it on the blue server. There's no low or mid level PvP here.

Also, the playerbase seems fine. There's always a few vocal idiots but people are tame here now compared to VZTZ or early R99.
Last edited by Sear; 09-25-2018 at 12:26 AM..
Old 09-25-2018, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sear [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Relative "safe" zones were built-in on VZ/TZ/SZ and your allies/enemies were clearly defined. That lowers the barrier to entry for casual players.

If Kunark and Velious progression is necessary to keep on a low-pop box like this, I feel like they should be on limited timelines. There aren't and never have been enough players on EQEmu to support the size of those expansions on a red server. It's still high because this is Everquest in 2018, but it's not as bad as FFA. And if live servers were any indication, there's more PvP on teams servers despite there being "more targets" on RZ (which basically became a ghetto blue server while there were epic race wars for zone control on VZ and TZ).

I'm sure the hardcore playerbase has long since BIS-geared their 8th alt by now, so what else is left for them to do? I know I won't bother playing here again unless it does get reset because the current state of the server just doesn't interest me. If I wanted to grind PvE content by myself I'd do it on the blue server. There's no low or mid level PvP here.

Also, the playerbase seems fine. There's always a few vocal idiots but people are tame here now compared to VZTZ or early R99.
Even Tune quit, I don't know what else people need to know.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:17 AM
Banned

Most of you are really stupid
Old 09-27-2018, 03:09 PM
Banned

Good Guys had more people online and quit after one fight.

Coulda been good for the box.

Maybe if Lite/Max didn't have the wheel.

Zuranthium wewww [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Nirgon; 09-27-2018 at 03:13 PM..
Old 09-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sear [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Over the last few years i've gained more and more interest in wanting to make a toon on red. So i am basically clueless on red. But this little blip of writing tells me all i need to know, and very clearly too. Well done. Super sad- Cause i really do want to adventure on a PVP server. But it's a huge turn off to know everybody on there is pimped the fuck out with gear, and that geared out toon is tied into a trio of toons you're boxing on. Can't wait to log in to a newb zone to find homey bored waiting destroy me before the giant rat does.

With how little the population is on these servers, is it totally crazy for the player base to come together and say hey.. "This server is totally fucked but we love to pvp, so lets salvage this. On the following date- All players need to either wipe their toons, or start a new level 1, and join one of the 2 or 4 or 6 or whatever- Guilds". Without a GM to wipe the server for you, is red capable of rallying together to do their own "reset"?
Old 09-27-2018, 03:33 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeff100 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Over the last few years i've gained more and more interest in wanting to make a toon on red. So i am basically clueless on red. But this little blip of writing tells me all i need to know, and very clearly too. Well done. Super sad- Cause i really do want to adventure on a PVP server. But it's a huge turn off to know everybody on there is pimped the fuck out with gear, and that geared out toon is tied into a trio of toons you're boxing on. Can't wait to log in to a newb zone to find homey bored waiting destroy me before the giant rat does.

With how little the population is on these servers, is it totally crazy for the player base to come together and say hey.. "This server is totally fucked but we love to pvp, so lets salvage this. On the following date- All players need to either wipe their toons, or start a new level 1, and join one of the 2 or 4 or 6 or whatever- Guilds". Without a GM to wipe the server for you, is red capable of rallying together to do their own "reset"?
Boxing for PVP is generally not done - they're talking about boxing for exp groups and raids, which does happen somewhat maybe but not to the extent that they naysayers would have you believe. It is true that the raiding guilds have myriad alt accounts, and when you bring a wizard to a raid, they might want you to camp him out there for loots but actually play a core raid class like rogue or especially cleric. Them's the breaks on an underpopulated server...
Old 09-27-2018, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Boxing for PVP is generally not done - they're talking about boxing for exp groups and raids, which does happen somewhat maybe but not to the extent that they naysayers would have you believe. It is true that the raiding guilds have myriad alt accounts, and when you bring a wizard to a raid, they might want you to camp him out there for loots but actually play a core raid class like rogue or especially cleric. Them's the breaks on an underpopulated server...
How come folks don't box for pvp? Or they do, just not as often as a non red player would think?
Old 09-27-2018, 05:47 PM
Banned

Good guys had the worst players on the server, would watch them throw like 10 people at 1 other and like 5 guys would die and 3 would plug rest would gate and talk shit @ bind
Old 09-27-2018, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeff100 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How come folks don't box for pvp? Or they do, just not as often as a non red player would think?
It's not really easy to box effectively in a PvP setting. It's great for ports, buffs, afk heals, but you're not going to effectively box melees in a PvP situation.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not really easy to box effectively in a PvP setting. It's great for ports, buffs, afk heals, but you're not going to effectively box melees in a PvP situation.
That's kinda legit then in my books..
Closed Thread