Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 09-15-2019, 06:42 PM
Skeleton

Default Bard Charmed Pet Attack Delay bug

Since the latest patch v49. Bard charming is experiencing a delay in the time it takes the charmed pet to attack a targeted mob.

if i walk up to two mobs standing next to each other and charm one and immediately press the Pet Attack command key, it takes approximately 4 seconds before the pet will attack. I have tested this now over 40 times and every time is the same. I further logged in my 60 enchanter and tested his charmed pet responsiveness. There was no delay and the pet would immediately obey the pet attack command.

I did notice that if i charm a pet and immediately get hit by a mob that my charmed pet will auto attack right away.

Kynes, 56 Bard
Old 09-16-2019, 08:30 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

They changed it so you cant use the pet commands while casting a spell. This Also affects bare songs so this might be What you are experiencing.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

Make a hotkey for /pet attack and use that, it *should* work all the time and right away.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:01 PM
Skeleton

I had played with this a little more and found out that indeed the pet charm is a song now. therefore if charm is cast without any other songs running, it continues to run for the duration of that first tick (6 sec) . To work around this i made a key command using
1 /stop song
2 /pet attack

This allows a one button pet attack which addresses the song / tick issue.

Thank you all for the additional clarification.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:48 PM
Fire Giant

This may still be a valid bug - when bard charm first hits the pet should probably be able to take commands, vs being locked out for the 3 sec song duration.

It sounds like this is a casualty/unintended consequence of stopping pet commands during spells

“We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back.”
[60 Assassin] Ricquire (Wood Elf)
Old 09-16-2019, 04:05 PM
Planar Protector

Does typing /pet attack into the chat window bypass the 3s delay?
Old 09-22-2019, 10:58 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Have you tested if it's an issue with an existing song running or a new one "casting" because it sounds like pet commands should fall under the same bard exception as melee attacks, etc and be usable while the bard is "casting" since technically we are almost always "casting."
Old 09-30-2019, 11:29 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

OK this appears to be a result of lack of developer knowledge of how bards function as it matches what used to happen on live. Because of how bard songs work, bards are almost always in the state that spellcasters would describe as "casting." We spend almost all of our time with either a song running or a new song starting and both of these states would be considered "casting" if we were mana pool spell casters. Because bards rely on being in this constant state of "casting" most of the spellcasting restrictions other classes have are just not applicable to bards and many of these restrictions would outright break the class. I remember a particularly bad patch in live where some dev decided the exception that allows bards to melee while "casting" wasn't needed and all of a sudden every bard was unable to attack mobs unless no songs were being played.

Issuing pet commands while casting is just one of many restrictions that normal casters have that bards should not. It appears some dev saw the bard code, decided there shouldn't be an exception that allows bards to issue pet commands while "casting" and took it out without realizing that the way the bard class works, they are ALWAYS "casting" and thus most restrictions on what you can do while casting would literally break the class if applied to bards.

I was able to test this and confirm that yes, pet commands from both the pet window and /pet do x are currently broken and do not work for bards while a song is running or a new song is being started. It appears the OP failed to notice this because in the confusion of commands not working, I too was trying to figure out why and it wasn't until the way charm works, if left running on a pet the 2nd "tick" will stop the song, taking the bard out of the "casting" state and making it so pet commands work.