Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Orc

I normally don't get all pissy at anything on p1999 because it IS free and devs do a lot of work, but normally they also respond to me when I post something's wrong. It's been a while and we still get no response
Old 11-30-2014, 11:52 PM
Senior Server Guide

What do you want us to post? It's obviously something todo with TWC, nothing that we have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame View Post
Aussie last seen nerfing troll shaman with gm powers in oasis on blue server. Red as fuck.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Every time I have this disconnect issue it is these hops that are broken.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:08 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

what should i do?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:23 AM
Planar Protector

No idea, just adding information.

If you do Run -> cmd and type tracert www.project1999.com when your connection is good and when it is bad we can compare and see if there is a commonality, but it'd be something that would only be a shot in the dark, I imagine.

Seems it's just a routing issue which is definitely the ISP end. My issues started just a few days ago but it only seems to happen after midnight.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:12 AM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocsucow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
well its acting up again got 1 1/2 days of no resets ... its on the server end because youtube/facebook running fine .. for about 10 to 15 secs you cant use p99forums/wiki/and you crash in game to char select ... its on P99s end
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Unfortunately this isn't something we can fix. It's not a problem on our end - it's a proplem with the way Charter/TWC routs their customers to get to our server.

The internet works by sending your packets through a series of "hops" that go from router to router in succession. Packets try to take the most logical/efficient route to their destination. Sometimes there are "broken links" in the path being taken to the destination - this is bad for game like EQ, which will time out very quickly upon load in (if you break connection for a few seconds, EQ will disconnect you while zoning or entering the world from character select). If one of the "hops" along your packets route is timing out - like we can see in the above screenshot - that's a problem with your provider.

I'm sorry to say I don't have many recommendations. I looked into this problem a while back and found similar issues occurring on other MMORPG's, such as certain WoW servers. It seems charter/TWC is a common culprit. Getting a new IP (and thus *possibly* getting a new route depending on where your new IP gets routed to) may work, as would signing up with a different ISP. If this is too drastic or you don't have any other options, use your phone as a mobile hotspot - EQ uses very little data and doesn't require a very fast connection. Even 3g should suffice.

I wish we could offer more help but it's simply out of our control. I can almost guarantee everyone having consistent connection issues will have a similar traceroute as the one listed above when they have connection issues. Because the problem is along the way to our box, rather than at our box itself, there's nothing we can do =X.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:17 AM
Planar Protector

im using my phone and not crashing

Old 12-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Orc

Thank you for the response Derubael. It's disheartening, but I'd rather know than not know.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Kobold

Did my own testing when I was having issues:

Quote:

This is normal connectivity, no issues.
Quote:

Had a minor lag issue here, didn't disconnect me, but could not cast or use abilities.
Quote:

Captured this right after getting dropped to character select/disconnect.
Will update with more as I'm able.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Aviak

I already spoke to Charter and explained to them what was happening...the response I got was typical lazy ass tech support saying "it's not our problem, it's theirs" and then the exact same response from the p99 staff. Fucking love it.

But the fix is so simple, just get a new ISP or tether your phone...fucking BRILLIANT.