Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Fire Giant

Default Only 3 mobs attacking at once.

Posting this here for feedback first, see if any other live players remember this. On live, only 3 mobs could be hitting you in any given round. So if you had 10 mobs on you, only 3 of them could attack you every round. A different 3 could attack you every round, but no more then 3 in one round. Anyone remember this?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:17 AM
Planar Protector

So if I got 50 level 1 mobs on me in field of bone, I could easily solo the tangrin since he would just stand there doing nothing?

Anyways I'm about 99.9% sure that this mechanic never existed. Do you have evidence for it?
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 08-02-2011, 03:18 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So if I got 50 level 1 mobs on me in field of bone, I could easily solo the tangrin since he would just stand there doing nothing?

Anyways I'm about 99.9% sure that this mechanic never existed. Do you have evidence for it?
If it did CT with mobs up with be a whole lot easier though.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Sarnak

I think you're thinking of old martial arts movies and not EQ!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Sarnak

I believe initially there was no limit, then much later they changed it to 4 attacking at once max. This may have been in response to one of those spells that heals the person being attacked.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

Rofl, funniest "recollection of classic EQ mechanics" I think I've ever heard. No. Just no all around.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Fire Giant

I don't remember anything about this at all. EQ's combat system isn't round-based, everyone just has their own individual attack speeds. If you mean that you couldn't be hit by more than three mobs at the precise same moment, I think you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuce999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you're thinking of old martial arts movies and not EQ!
I laughed.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Planar Protector

He's slightly off, but the idea is correct. It was changed sometime in Velious or thereafter - but basically, you could pull a trillion mobs, but only between 4-7 roughly (i don't remember exactly) would come within melee range. the others would either move back and forth slightly out of melee range or just stand there - if you ran into the mobs that were already standing outside melee range, more of them could hit you, but the ones that were just hitting you would not enter melee range...

Most people didn't discover it because it was such a strange mechanic and rarely happened outside of trying to make it happen. The reason I discovered it was because I was trying to farm lots of mobs on my wizard on live, but I couldn't get enough low level mobs close enough to PBAoE them all if I just stood there...so I had to pull a bunch, then move into the ones standing just outside melee range (which would allow me to hit more than that 4-7 that came close enough to melee), finish those guys, then cast one more time to finish the other guys who wouldn't come into the new melee range afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

Suuuuure would be easy to play a bard then...
Old 08-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

I'm pretty positive that never happened... because if you run into your own 30+ train in any era, it's KERSPLAT every time, one hit.
Closed Thread