Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 11:25 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default What is the best option for starting anew in EQ?

Hello, I’ll keep it short: I played for a while back in 2001 so I’m not technically new but I remember very little about EQ. I want to dive back in and experience everything I missed so what is the best option for a new player? Basically I’m wondering if this new Timelocked progression thing is the way to go or if the green server is the way to go? For someone basically clueless is there enough player population at lower levels in green still or will I be wandering alone through deserted zones in two months.

I’m determined to jump back in, just want to give myself the best shot seeings as I will probably take a little longer to level than most of you vets! Thanks for your time
Old 05-19-2020, 02:02 PM
Aviak

The new TLP on everquest is sub based still (I believe) and will play through the timelines in specific increments . I don't personally feel it's classic everquest as some of the modern parts of the game are still in there.

Project 1999 is an emulated server. Green will play through the progression as it was when everquest was made.

It comes down to personal preference then. I have played on green and found there were plenty of players knocking about. I am on blue just as I'm more established now on blue

If you want to play past velious then TLP everquest is the way to go if you want to do proper classic everquest then green but it will not go past velious

I played on ragefire when it first come out and I didn't renew my subscription past one month.. wasn't for me

Biastly project 1999 is better ... But play whatever you like. Maybe try them both.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:54 PM
Orc

There are plenty of low level people on Green running around [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-21-2020, 03:54 AM
Orc

If you can live without beastlords, cats and frogmen characters and enjoy using the old world cities instead of everyone hanging out in one zone with access to click ports to everywhere then play on the green server. It's free, people aren't selling things for real money and people will group with you at all levels. You also don't get that awful auto loot option that's on EQlive. Call me crazy but I want to bend over a critter when I loot something.

The only pull of EQlive for me is /melody for bards and that's not enough for me to dive into the EQlive mess.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:34 AM
Kobold

I started on green a week ago. There is so much going on at lower levels, I always got a group and soloing is hard at the good spots because there's so much low levels [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Very friendly and mature audience so far. I'm really pleased to play on green and will continue to do so.

About the progression, check the timeline in the wiki: http://wiki.project1999.com/Timeline

And consult the wiki often. It's great.

Greetings from Germany.

I've seen plenty of classes that are good for solo like necromancer, mage, etc. If you want sth special, roll a paladin/sk, cleric or wiz....those seem to be rare.
Last edited by Exard3k; 05-21-2020 at 04:57 AM..
Old 05-21-2020, 06:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Basically I’m wondering if this new Timelocked progression thing is the way to go or if the green server is the way to go?
TLP servers aren't classic EQ. You either want to play like EQ was 20 years ago or you want to play modern EQ. Don't let the TLP fool you. For example, on TLP every single player is instantly eligible for a 40-slot 100% weight reduction bag. This item is more powerful than all the classic EQ items put together. TLP servers are for people who play modern EQ and want a small taste of what it was.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:53 AM
Sarnak

TAKP is a great place for a new start.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
on TLP every single player is instantly eligible for a 40-slot 100% weight reduction bag
Once I saw that about 2 minutes after logging in I logged out and uninstalled.

-Mcoy
Old 05-21-2020, 12:11 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Some of my family play on these TLP's and refuse to play on here. No idea why, but I've decided they're idiots.

The TLP's are always a huge cluster fk, and don't feel anything like classic. Not just boxxers, but botters galore that daybreak won't do shit about. They need as much money as they can get and good luck getting DB to go after any of their subscribers.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:02 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exard3k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Greetings from Germany.
Grüße aus Lübeck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Asmodina - Level 39 Wizard << blue >>
Corvinia - Level 51 Druid << green >>
Closed Thread