Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 11:12 AM
Planar Protector

Jesus christ I can't believe I'm doing this, but ... I'm going to defend Zura for a moment here (sort of).

Look, Zura is just that kid that believed all the other kids because he wanted to be cool. Like when a bunch of boys say "it'd be cool if someone stuck firecrackers up that cat's butt", but they're just being boys and no one is serious.

Well ... except for that one boy who doesn't quite fit in, but desperately wants to. He goes "yeah, that'd be cool", and both because he wants to belong, and because something's not 100% right with him, he actually sticks firecrackers up the cat's butt. And then he doesn't understand why all the boys reject him afterwards.

What I'm trying to get at is, we're the rest of the boys. We have a "classic fetish" here, and we compete over who knows more about how classic really was. Whenever R&N drop some patch that makes the game objectively worse (eg. removing pet windows), the "cool kids" all cheer and tell anyone who complains to go back to live.

Collectively we are not honest with ourselves about how some shit in classic really, truly, sucked. We all want to look cool to the true "cool kids" (R&N), so we defend classic no matter what. In a way, we're all responsible for this thread and Zura's mad crusade to make Green "really classic".

Zura is our creation, our "golem":

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(And yes, I did just start rewatching The Sopranos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=162956
Old 09-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocode [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Know those Movies that starts with "based on the series book novels named XYZ" so this is a movie based on "Classic Everquest" also your more than welcome to not play in protest to your no classic feel
Not the same case, as p99 purports to be as faithful of a recreation as possible, whether by copying the mechanics or making changes that help produce a "more classic" environment. This is an issue of validity and of someone misrepresenting their product and the history they say it's trying to copy.

Rogean the other day on his stream said "people didn't DPS race in Classic", which is absolutely incorrect. He doesn't know what he's talking about and either hasn't seen the facts, or refuses to face them.

He should admit he is wrong and stop trying to wrongfully defend this Green ruleset on the basis of it being "most faithful to the 1999 environment". Whatever his decision is for the ruleset, is ultimately whatever he wants, since he owns the server. But using FALSE statements to defend his opinion, is absolutely not tolerable and should not be accepted by anyone. If he would just admit he was wrong about how 1999 EQ worked, and give reasoning for why this ruleset is the better decision (in his mind), while keeping an open mind about why something else could be better, it would be a lot more truthful and wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd say I'm sorry you won't be allowed to kill-steal or generally act like a sociopath whenever you feel like it and without repercussion, but that'd be a lie.
Competition is not "acting like a sociopath". It's playing the game, and it's not "without repercussion", as others in the playerbase will always judge you for your actions, particularly when people are actually allowed to make meaningful decisions. You show little understanding of how a real MMORPG is supposed to operate, and how EQ in fact operated in 1999.

Your line of argument is like calling a basketball player a sociopath for ever trying to score a 3-point shot or pass the ball far across the court, and demanding that everyone is only allowed to make 2 point shots, in a single file line, while walking slowly up to the net. Yeah, cause that sure would be an interesting game, right? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Neckbeards gonna neckbeard
Exactly what is this directed at? Because the proposed rule for green enables skill-less neckbearding.

With classic 1999 ruleset, people get to compete for general content without playing all day, and regardless of what guild they join. Whoever makes the best group and wants to go fight for it, is going to get some wins. You can go in somewhere with your 6-person crew compete for a camp; doesn't matter if "uber guild xyz" is there or if the same person has been sitting there like a vegetable and trying to hoard the camp all day/week. DPS count caps out at what a single 6-person group does, so whoever puts the effort in to maximize that effectiveness and find a good place to fight, is always going to be competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty sure the devs did not spend 10 years of their lives to create a server environment where 30-50 neckbeards will chase everyone else off just to stay "as classic as possible".
Again, classic ruleset does not reward a small group of neckbeards. Where you are drawing this misunderstanding from? The current proposed ruleset is more neckbeardy than both 1999 era EQ and "Play Nice Policy" era EQ, as it rewards people for sitting around online for as long as possible on an item list, instead of actually playing the game, and getting the thrill of winning via competition, or at least the surprise of having the item drop when it's your turn to kill the NPC.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Jesus christ I can't believe I'm doing this, but ... I'm going to defend Zura for a moment here (sort of).

Look, Zura is just that kid that believed all the other kids because he wanted to be cool. Like when a bunch of boys say "it'd be cool if someone stuck firecrackers up that cat's butt".
No. You've completely missed the point, as usual.
Last edited by Zuranthium; 09-15-2019 at 11:25 AM..
Old 09-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Orc

Neckbeard has been triggered that his plan to perma-camp was spoiled.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not EXACTLY classic, cool ranch doritos
Well I mean, if you can create a situation that forces everyone who will play on green to forget what items drop where in the game, use a dialup connection, and old operating systems and the first client, help those bros out.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No. You've completely missed the point, as usual.
I love when the trolls and ogres gets defended by dark elves and then they are like [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] SHUTUP SMURF

Old 09-15-2019, 12:25 PM
Banned

Old 09-15-2019, 12:25 PM
Orc

I don't know why you all are giving the OP shit. He made some valid points. You should earn what you get in game. In any game really. I also get why they made the changes they did. People weren't pulling the crap on live back then that some of them do now. Not really. Honestly though I think everyone should wait and see how it actually works in game before forming an opinion about whether or not it is a good or bad idea. I'm just saying. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-15-2019, 01:48 PM
Orc

Quote:
Your line of argument is like calling a basketball player a sociopath for ever trying to score a 3-point shot or pass the ball far across the court, and demanding that everyone is only allowed to make 2 point shots, in a single file line, while walking slowly up to the net. Yeah, cause that sure would be an interesting game, right? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This would only be true if Everquest was a competitive sport which it is not. I know neckbeards want to play the game like it is but games are more fun when you share them with others.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:08 PM
Fire Giant

You're forgetting the biggest difference between P99 and classic that can't really be changed (or you would bitch about just as much if it was) that's FORESIGHT.

There weren't guilds permacamping manastone and guise in classic. At least not any more than people camped FBSS or other cool items. They didn't know the item was going to be removed one day so there wasn't an obsession with having it. Unless you get rid of those items from day 1 of the server people know they're going to no long drop one day so everyone has way more interest in getting it while they can than they would have during classic era.
Closed Thread