Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:38 PM
Sarnak

Default DPS - Dual wield or 2H?

I'm a level 53 warrior, and I'm finding that I'm often serving a DPS role rather than a tank role in groups / raids. So, this is kind of a two-parter question.

1. Generally speaking, if given a choice between two high-end one handers and a high-end two-hander, which comes out on top?

2. So, let's say I have Winter's Fury / Jade Mace and Granite Face Grinder / (insert 0.80+ ratio two hander here). Which setup comes out on top as a warrior at my level?

I've noticed that my DPS is pretty lackluster with Frostbringer / Sarnak Warhammer, so I'm not sure how much better it could possibly be with Winter's Fury. I'm wanting to assume that two handers are better, but I'd prefer not to make hugely expensive investments that I can't afford just to test them out for myself. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-21-2017, 09:45 PM
Fire Giant

Can't speak for level 53 (I'm sure other will [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]) but at level 41 my Staff of Battle was doing MUCH more dps than my Frostbringer + Lamentation. Also you get less riposte and damage shield damage... I don't know for high end, but for the mid-levels anyway dual wield is pretty much only for the procs and getting aggro... two-handed weapons felt better to keep aggro and overall dps.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:01 AM
Fire Giant

It’s always been my understanding that two fast 1 handers will always be higher dps, at least at higher levels when you have the damage bonus.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyTheMuss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s always been my understanding that two fast 1 handers will always be higher dps, at least at higher levels when you have the damage bonus.
This is purely anecdotal, but while soloing I used an exquisite velium claidhmore 32/36 which seemed to push out the most dps as mobs died faster with it. I switched to my frostbringer and infestation around 36-37 level because by that point I was killing mobs equally fast if not faster, and continued with that setup forever after. If you managed to get an actual high end 2h weapon, something like 50/42 etc., then perhaps the 2h weapon would be best dps otherwise go with 1h weapons imo.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:40 AM
Banned

Good question.

I have run extensive damage tests on my level 60 warrior using common weps like epic, staff of battle, jade maces, lamentater, and cracked staff. I'll give you a play-by-play analysis of how to best choose the most damaging weapon setup in a moment.

First, you need to understand this simple principle.

Two Handed weapons go pow!

Dual Wielded weapons go ping ping ping!

Commit that to memory, and you'll quickly and easily understand how to do the most damage in any situation without wasting 10 seconds with suboptimal dps.

The last thing to consider in any DPS situation is "how cool does my character look fighting this enemy using my current weapons?" Don't just rely on the polygon graphics. Close your eyes and imagine the scene vividly. You're fighting a Spiroc Lord on Isle 5, or maybe a giant beef-eating walrus in the icy wastes of Velious. In the Spiroc Lord battle, it's essential to DUAL WIELD because the spiroc is an agile foe and you are dancing with him in a dance to the death. The walrus should be crushed with a heavy weapon so that you can open his skull and consume the raw brains to keep your stamina up in the cold wastes.

This simple, 2 step rubric is the key to maximizing your DPS in any situation and being the Best Warrior You Can Be.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Fire Giant

One thing that seldom gets mentioned is Level/AC of the target you're fighting. And with that comes the "minimum damage bonus" (main hand only). Effectively, that means that every time you "touch" the target, you'll hit it for at least that minimum.

So...the answer to your question is: it depends. Assuming that the the 1h and 2h loadout are absolutely even weaponwise (and that's a different discussion):

If you're fighting a high-end mob (say red or yellow or even an even con), using a fast 1hander is going to give better results.

However, if you're fighting a green or blue con, you may generate more DPS with the 2hander (especially if its delay is 40 or better with that slow weap bonus kicking in) because you're less likely to have your hits mitigated as much on the lower cons (you'll hit for more).

When I was leveling several monks, I got way better results with the IFS (38/40) on blue cons than I did with a pair of jade maces (9/18s). But on evens or better, the jade maces outdid the IFS substantially.

That's all a bunch of theoretical crap.

What you really need to do is parse each loadout on a low con, even con, and high con and report your results.

tl;dr? depends on what you're swinging at

Cloki - Lead Hippie, OMNI
Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 AM
Planar Protector

The best answer is that you would really need to parse it with your actually set up. Which weapons against which mobs at which level and class of player?

I've found that even though I thought one of my setups was better that when I parsed it out the data showed it to be slightly less than another setup...or frequently negligible difference.

I realize this sounds nerdy, but running a parsing program isn't really rocket science anymore. If you are a melee dps class you don't have many responsibilities in the first place...run a parsing program every once in a while and make sure you are using your best possible setup for each fight.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good question.

I have run extensive damage tests on my level 60 warrior using common weps like epic, staff of battle, jade maces, lamentater, and cracked staff. I'll give you a play-by-play analysis of how to best choose the most damaging weapon setup in a moment.

Commit that to memory, and you'll quickly and easily understand how to do the most damage in any situation without wasting 10 seconds with suboptimal dps.

The last thing to consider in any DPS situation is "how cool does my character look fighting this enemy using my current weapons?" Don't just rely on the polygon graphics. Close your eyes and imagine the scene vividly. You're fighting a Spiroc Lord on Isle 5, or maybe a giant beef-eating walrus in the icy wastes of Velious. In the Spiroc Lord battle, it's essential to DUAL WIELD because the spiroc is an agile foe and you are dancing with him in a dance to the death. The walrus should be crushed with a heavy weapon so that you can open his skull and consume the raw brains to keep your stamina up in the cold wastes.

This simple, 2 step rubric is the key to maximizing your DPS in any situation and being the Best Warrior You Can Be.
this post made me wanna play again ^^
Old 11-22-2017, 11:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good question.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:32 PM
Banned

magnetic dirk is hands down the best weapon for all classes on island #5
Closed Thread