Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs > Velious Beta > NPC Bugs

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

Default Kunark spells should not be dropping in Velious

I recall it being a real pain to get spells like Torpor, Pox of Bertoxx as a shaman because these spells only dropped in the era appropriate content.

Then there's this I found on Allakhazam which reinforced my opinion. Sontalak discussion. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=6466

Quote:
Kunark Spells
#Jan 28 2003 at 12:21 AMRating: Decent
Kawkenbawls
Scholar
69 posts
Level 60 Kunark spells have been added to his loot table.
Quote:
RE: Kunark Spells
#Apr 03 2003 at 6:32 PMRating: Decent
Kalendrox
149 posts
Yep, dropped Divine Intervention for us last week, nice little suprise
Old 07-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Project Manager

There are a few dragons of westwastes currently set to drop Kunark spells.

If they should be removed, more input would be nice. Anyone else?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Kobold

This was brought up many months ago, a select few npcs in WW should drop kunark spells. Here is a post from awhile back about esorpa dropping kunark spells.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=173084
Old 07-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

Discussion on Sunstrike: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=8428

Quote:
Velious
#Apr 29 2003 at 3:56 PMRating: Excellent
matthewstevens
6 posts
Woudl like to add that YES all of the rare Kunark spells NOW DROP IN VELIOUS, have seen torpor, Winds of Gelid, and many other drop from Harla Dar, Klnadicar, Zlandicar, so finally Sony did something right on spells.
Discussion on ChardokB revamp where they mention that Velious dragons now drop Kunark spells: http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthr...rB-spell-drops

Quote:
July 16th, 2003 03:17 AM #4
Forum Wizard
Loot tables all over seem to have been changed, we got flaming sword of xuzl of sontalak the other day. Other kunark spells seem to be dropping in velious too.

Patch notes saying they increased the drop rate on kunark spells because the chance to get them is slimmer with new content. http://www.waringmcmarrin.com/?page_id=54

Quote:
Mar 21 2001
- Increased the drop rate on some Kunark spells to coincide with the
narrowing of the creatures carrying those spells as the game evolves.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Patch notes saying they increased the drop rate on kunark spells because the chance to get them is slimmer with new content. http://www.waringmcmarrin.com/?page_id=54
This part in particular is telling. It's not "increased number of mobs that drop kunark spells" it's "increased drop rate to coincide with (less raid mobs dying that drop kunark spells)". So, couple months into velious, kunark raid mobs have spell drops increased. Until that point velious mobs don't drop kunark spells.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Project Manager

From the other link:

Quote:
and another post mentioning Esorpa dropping high end Kunark spells,

Quote:
Source: http://pub66.ezboard.com/fwesternwastesfrm1
Quote:
Re: /wave Callius maximus
yup escorpa drops kunark spells

was hoping for malo

but got stun command and some other

+ got myself a talisman
Callius - Warder of Tunare
Officer and Raid leader of Dragon Council

Underling
10/26/01 1:42:00 pm
That is late 2001. Maybe it should only be Esorpa since she's on RingofScale?

More input desired. I don't want Kunark spells dropping if they shouldn't.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

More input desired. I don't want Kunark spells dropping if they shouldn't.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/show...+Kunark+Spells

Quote:
Saw Word of Redemption the level 60 group cheal spell that I still need drop from Harla Dar easy WW dragon about a fortnight ago.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kornaena:

Why would a velious dragon drop a kunark spell?
I've seen he supposedly drops a few Kunark spells - maybe was on travels? /shrug
Quote:
Not sure why but osme of the level 60 Kunark spells ahve eben dropping off WW named dragons fo a while now. GCH reportedly has been a common one off of them.

Qwen
Pre-2003, but still 2002. Comments on Harla Dar dropping 60 Kunark spells. Plus some confusion on this. It is mentioned it was an addition at some point, but no indication as to where.

PS - Those cleric boards enrage me when I read OVER and OVER how OP Druids are and how badly Clerics have it in Velious...
Old 07-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Sarnak

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4546

Some snipits from those forums below:

"I'm taking the liberty to X-post this on eqnecro, graffe.com and eqcleric, since it concerns us all.

When Kunark was released, it was expected that we'd stay there and level from 50-60, and most did this even though there are some spots in the old world that supports 50+ xp. Spell drops were balanced accordingly.

When Velious was release, casting classes got new spells, but most were not that cool. Now we suddenly had two continents for 50+ xp. And melee loot, as usual, got a huge boost in power in Velious, while casters still have to go to Kunark for spells.

Luclin introduces the same situation a third time. Now we get a 3rd expansion with even cooler loot, some new spells (most rather silly in my opinion but I'm sure some are quite nice). But we STILL need to go to Kunark for Kunark spells, and Velious for Velious spells, while the melees can happily get all the nifty stuff from Luclin, since they automagically get discs when they level.

The effect: its getting increasinly harder to obtain the Kunark dropped spells.

There are many solutions to this problem:

- Verant could simply label Kunark a legacy area and throw us a bone by putting all Kunark spells on merchants.

- Simply increase Kunark spell drops. Velious spells are, I might add, less of a problem since they generally drop more.

- Verant could put Kunark spells on merchants to make it a bit easier for us, and instead pull slightly improved Kunark spells on the Kunark dragons / bosses. I like this idea myself.

- Verant could random spells across several continents, so that we can get Velious spells in Kunark, Kunark spells on Luclin, etc."

"Well, they sorta thought of this already...

Kunark spells (at least 58+) drop off SoV dragons. Not sure if the 55-57 spells drop off them but I do know the 58+ do. I got Banishment of Shadows from Sontalak. I've seen this on several occasions so it wasn't a fluke.

Perhaps some of the ubermobs in SoL will drop Kunark spells as well.

As to why SoV spells are more common... they aren't. Look at the general drop rate. Maybe one spell in 10 or so kills. Same in Kunark and Luclin. The difference is Kunark introduced 19 NPC dropped spells. SoV introduced 4 and SoL inroduced 5. Also consider that there are more areas to get 55+ spells in SoV and SoL. Kunark only offered the Juggs/reets area and Skyfire."

You can read more of the discussion there but it does look like spells dropped via continent they are from, with some possibly dropping off velious dragons.
Gregyn <Divinity> --- 51 Druid
Kaldek <Divinity --- 48 Warrior
Leerick <Divinity> --- EC Mule
Old 07-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Planar Protector

That's from late 2001 just after/around Luclin launch. I think it's safe to say the WW Dragons who currently drop Kunark spells should do so in era, it's just a matter of when that switch got flipped.

If I were a betting man I would say March to coincide with the increased drop rate patch (3 months).
Closed Thread