Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 11:36 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Offline Rezzes

Read before you just shoot it down as non-classic.

I was inspired to write this by the explanation of "why the /list command is classic"

On live EQ, you were allowed to play multiple accounts so you could create a cleric on one and play something on another. Clearly that can't happen here because of the no-boxing policy. In an attempt to establish more classical accuracy, we should be able to do offline rezzing.

In order to offfset people just going around and rezzing everyone who's dead, you could limit it to 5 minutes which is more than enough time to log from one character to another and rez.

Just food for thought.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

It's not about "shooting down", it's ... imagine if you spent over a decade working on building every lego set produced in the 1980s.

Most sets you could find the manuals for on EBay, and rebuild them perfectly, but there might be some sets you can't find the manuals for, so you have to sort of guess at how they should be built based on pictures. But for every set, you build it as perfectly as you can.

... and then your friend shows up, looks at your giant room of legos, and says "wouldn't it look better if you threw a few Star Wars Lego bits into your classic pirate set"? Even if it would, that's not the point of your decade-plus labor of love.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

The no box policy is not about classic/non-classic. It is simply to prevent this server from becoming like every other server: Full of people who 6 box a group. When you do that, you basically make EQ a singleplayer game except for raiding.

By requiring people to level up clerics, and by preventing boxing, you are encouraging people to play clerics. Now obviously cleric bots and pocket clerics exist, but you still have to build them first, and then have a friend pilot that cleric, at minimum.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Servers that allow boxing have a low pop because as mentioned above it makes the game a single players game where no one socializes or groups with other real people.

No, self rezing is a terrible idea. Do I wish I could run a 6 box and solo HoT sure but it would kill the server population super fast.

Raid rotations are another example. They reduce the number of people required to participate. making it so no one logs on except for when it's their turn to raid.

No self rez
No raid rotation
No shared bank

sorry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

Brilliant idea
Old 05-07-2020, 02:24 PM
Sarnak

you could make a cleric you share with people. you also run the risk of having their shit stolen too, but c'est la vie
Old 05-07-2020, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The no box policy is not about classic/non-classic.
It absolutely is though. With boxing the game is literally a different game: you can port yourself, rez yourself, etc. While that was technically possible for a very few on live (who had two computers, a good internet connection in 1999, and could afford multiple subscriptions on top of that), it would be very unclassic if they could do it en masse here.

In essence, because of modern limits we can either have no boxing, or classic (mechanics) boxing. But if we had classic mechanics (ie. box as much as you want) this place would not feel classic. The staff restricts boxing for one simple reason: to make this place more classic.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It absolutely is though. With boxing the game is literally a different game: you can port yourself, rez yourself, etc. While that was technically possible for a very few on live (who had two computers, a good internet connection in 1999, and could afford multiple subscriptions on top of that), it would be very unclassic if they could do it en masse here.

In essence, because of modern limits we can either have no boxing, or classic (mechanics) boxing. But if we had classic mechanics (ie. box as much as you want) this place would not feel classic. The staff restricts boxing for one simple reason: to make this place more classic.
Loramin is right. P99 is about the classic feel.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I am not disagreeing with the no boxing policy, or why it was implemented. I was agreeing with the no box policy. And I was using that as an example as to why a "res command" would be silly, because it basically overlaps with the no box policy. It gives you an easy pocket res, the same as boxing would.

But the no box policy goes way beyond the classic/non classic debate. Why?

1. A no boxing rule isn't classic, so implementing it is automatically a custom change, regardless of the reason. I fully understand the reason, which you mentioned above, but it is still not classic. If you wanted a "real" classic experience, you would devise some method to make boxing difficult, rather than ban it. But that would be over complicated and silly, so a full ban is just easier. I would do a full ban on boxing too, if this was my server.

2. Boxing isn't a new thing to either Everquest custom servers or Everquest live servers, even when P99 first came out. The no boxing rule is a fairly unique thing that sets P99 apart from most other servers. This creates a much greater draw for players like us. Not due to the classic/non classic argument, but because it uniquely enables group play, and this server has the population to support it.

Therefore, it's easy to see how the no boxing idea isn't really a classic/non classic debate. It is more about encouraging group play, which is kind of the point of an MMO like Everquest. If you want to have an easy mode single player MMO, go play WoW.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:49 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I think that you all might be misunderstanding what I'm saying with the boxing comments. I am in no way advocating allowing the playing of more than one character in at a time. I am simply saying that on classic, we could box and thus could rez. I was advocating the ability to offline rez to make up for the inability to do it here.

I do realize the rebuttal to that is that we should also be able to port. However, rezzing is something that could actually be done without breaking the rules.
Closed Thread