Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 01-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

Found some additional correlating evidence that the +mana item cap SHOULD scale with level. The below interview was from Gordon:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010822...ve/arc96.shtml

Quote:
More on +Mana Topic
Well I was able to track down some additional information that I don't mind distributing. The benefit of +mana items is scaled to reduce the impact of twinking in certain circumstances. I can't give you the formula, but I can say that if you load up your level 1 guy with +300 in mana items, he doesn't have 300 more mana.
The benefit that you can receive from a +mana item is based upon your total natural mana.
There is a broken link to the original topic, but his reply is pretty definitive.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

Additional confirmation found, in case all this wasn't enough:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010822...ve/arc87.shtml

Quote:
[Quote from original post: Since learning that +mana items are also subject to the level restriction and have a reduced effect at lower levels]
Actually that's not entirely accurate. You can only raise your mana with +mana items based upon the total base mana that you have. For instance, if someone has only 50 mana, and they don a +50 mana item, they do not have 100 mana. This isn't a function of the level, but of total mana. We won't let someone double their mana supply with +mana items
Old 01-11-2018, 05:49 PM
Planar Protector

I can't wait to hear fixed pending update in this thread. It will reach ultimate immersion values when Mana is limited according to your base mana value.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:02 AM
Planar Protector

Friendly bump. I realize a proper mana formula / cap can be a re-tuning nightmare as it affects everyone in game (and all content). Still would love to see it!
Old 04-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

What an immersive change this would be.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:39 PM
Planar Protector

Bump
Old 05-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bump
Please remove the ability for this man to bump bug reports
Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Planar Protector

Bump. If we are never getting Luclin this is a crucial bug fix for the balance of the server. However if Luclin is in the works probably don’t need to worry about it since Luclin fixes it.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

Rather than bumping this thread, you should make a new one that is better organized. Most of the evidence is buried deep in the thread. I think the most likely conclusion is that +mana items were capped at 1/2 of your total mana pool based on Jaxon's posts, which cuts P99ers down to 3700 max or so.

I think in the end this would be a positive change for the server. With this, the 289 item ac hard cap, and diminished resist returns over 200 (based on what I saw in the VP AE thread, but it needs way more research) players will no longer be able to go god-mode with TOV gear. The NPCs can then be tuned down to true classic ATK/AC/cooldown/resist mod values. The result will be both a much more classic server - P99 has tremendously accurate quests and such, but the mechanics have never been that close - and also, I would hope, a less competitive one where getting 15 slots of Velious Raid gear isn't so important.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rather than bumping this thread, you should make a new one that is better organized. Most of the evidence is buried deep in the thread. I think the most likely conclusion is that +mana items were capped at 1/2 of your total mana pool based on Jaxon's posts, which cuts P99ers down to 3700 max or so.

I think in the end this would be a positive change for the server. With this, the 289 item ac hard cap, and diminished resist returns over 200 (based on what I saw in the VP AE thread, but it needs way more research) players will no longer be able to go god-mode with TOV gear. The NPCs can then be tuned down to true classic ATK/AC/cooldown/resist mod values. The result will be both a much more classic server - P99 has tremendously accurate quests and such, but the mechanics have never been that close - and also, I would hope, a less competitive one where getting 15 slots of Velious Raid gear isn't so important.
Excellent point Raev about consolidating, it is definitely a lot to read through and much of the evidence was uncovered as the thread moved along. Maybe I'll work up a new post tonight.

I do agree with you that adjusting this cap, ac values, and resists would indeed change the dynamics of the server and hopefully create more of a 'relive the nostalgia' mentality amongst the player base and make BiS profiles just marginally better than HoT gear.
Last edited by Rygar; 07-09-2018 at 12:06 PM..