Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

Erudite will give decent service for what the original poster seems to want to use his character for. He has sufficient +Str gear to take away the hassle of playing a weak race. For every 7 opponents an Erudite defeats, an Ogre has to defeat 8 to make similar progress. With that in mind, as far as leveling is concerned the Ogre stat advantage is effectively canceled out by its experience penalty. The Erudite's near-neutral factions are also nice from a convenience standpoint.

Danth
Old 11-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Every time you get stunned while trying to get an fd off you'll think, "If I'd only gone ogre."
/shrug but if he was an Ogre he'd think "if I'd only gone Erudite" every time he wanted to use a good race's town to sell/bank, and any time he leveled he'd think "I'd be 1+ levels higher right now if I was an Erudite."

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

If you die because a lack of front stun immunity you just didn't plan well. You are so much more likely to die from a NPC spell or having it fail on you. I remember being more frustrated at rezzing in gigantic or burning through shrink potions with my fatty.

A SK can solo without getting hit much if at all. A SK can tank while being chain-stunned due to spell aggro. Stats, slam, FSE are all handy as is the Iksar/Troll regen...it's just not a deal breaker.

The racial advantage may edge out a raiding guilds warrior tank order but it's a slim one. Seniority and HP's likely would play a bigger role in the decision on who to start with.

As with everything you gotta pick what you will want to look at constantly. I just wish gnome SK's were a thing because they were the best. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Sarnak

These are all awesome answers, really enjoying the debate. Is there any hard info out there on, say, the damage output difference due to the str difference? As in, how much more damage does 60 more str translate to? Same with stamina to hp.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Planar Protector

Erudite got higher starting magic resist and you can cram more of them into the back of a van.

Also, I kind of like the lower stats; ogres cap out pretty easily, and you feel all those points carrying you beyond 255 are 'wasted'.

With Erud, you'll need a tonne of buffs and great gear before you will be 'wasting' stat points!
Old 11-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
These are all awesome answers, really enjoying the debate. Is there any hard info out there on, say, the damage output difference due to the str difference? As in, how much more damage does 60 more str translate to? Same with stamina to hp.
Prob the best way to go is to mock the character up with this:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo

Add a single STR item for a levl 60 and multiply it out. Like a Hero Bracers for an Erudite then times that by 6.

PS: Copy the name from the Wiki so it's accurate or it wont show on the profile.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:50 PM
Planar Protector

Edit: Ok I did it out of curiosity.
10 str for a knight gives 9 attack.
Once you soft-cap at 200 it seems for 50 STR you only get 45 attk so assuming you are anywhere in the mid 100's and can get a shammy buff its a moot point.

Ranger's Storm Strength (max line) gives 35 str; Druid's Girdle of Karana gives 42 str; Shaman's Maniacal Strength gives 68 str.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Fire Giant

I made an Erudite SK bout 6 years ago with the idea that with higher manapool, I can offset my low stats with fear kites and life taps. It was fun for 1-50 but I couldn't face tank very well and was so weak. Granted I only had about 40k in gear on him, It was still difficult solo.

Bout 2 year ago I made my 2nd SK and was ogre, about 800k difference in gear, but def noticed the difference lvling up. Able to solo face tank 1-60 pretty nice .

I guess it depends on how you wana play the game and get ur feels. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] but Ogre way more sTurdy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Drippin#7277
Old 11-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Fire Giant

Drippin#7277
Old 11-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Sarnak

Resurrecting this thread with a quick question: I know there's Erudite-only Paladin armor, is there any Erudite exclusive SK equipment?
Closed Thread