Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 11:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Resurrecting this thread with a quick question: I know there's Erudite-only Paladin armor, is there any Erudite exclusive SK equipment?
One of the few I know of drops from the Muglewump in The Warrens. It’s a helm that has the click effect of Reclaim Energy. I’d farm it in your low/mid 30’s, past the trivial kill level it won’t be on the loot list. Not a class-maker but definitely handy.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:39 AM
Kobold

Go erudite, iksar, dark elf and put everything in to sta and dex.
Fully raid buffed and hasted at level 60, I'm 5k hp and parsing 60 to 80 dps as a Dark Elf.
I've wished that I had FSI but fitting places, having mana, and not being ugly is cool to.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any SK that isn't a Dark Elf has made a mistake
But... Iksar Greenmist!!!!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I understand that will never be on P99. Unless I’m wrong of course [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-04-2017, 12:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And Iksar uber regen and overpowered armor class bonus!!!

Iksar master race!
Old 12-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Sarnak

My main is/was (I play very little these days) an erudite SK (Greevtox). Playing him has been the most fun I have had with any Everquest character (live and P99). That's probably why I went to the insane effort (for a person outside of a hardcore raid guild) of getting him the epic, full blood lord's armor, a crown of narandi, a ring 9, an eyepatch of plunder, a fungi, holgresh beads, etc. [insert fun clicky here]. It's a great class, and for someone who is looking to see a lot of Everquest content and fill a number of rolls (tank, puller, some utility, some debuffing, and low but not shameful dps on raids), I would highly recommend the class.

At the end of the day, if you're willing to learn the SK class, race shouldn't fundamentally change your play experience. The only possible caveat to that statement concerns iksar. I think iksar would play quite differently than the other races mainly because of the unavailability of blood ember clickies. There are other benefits to iksar to counterbalance that, but I relied heavily on blood ember for my play style, both on the solo and group fronts and throughout the range of levels. Also, anyone taking the time to learn the class and farm certain items will be pleasantly surprised with the level of soloing that can be done, particularly at the end game. I'm not just talking about fear kiting outdoors. At 60 with certain items (not the very best items), a SK can variously solo NG in seb, lower frenzy in velks, all of the "hardest" mobs in lguk (king, ghoul lord, frenzy), and a number of other camps that might surprise the SK naysayers! In short, farming the cash you need to buy the big, uber items that make the class shine really isn't much of an issue. Some food for thought: combine blood ember greaves, blood ember gauntlets, and a crown of narandi and you can both pull and group tank nonstop (i.e., no need to meditate). And, yes, a patient and knowledgable SK can successfully pull and tank some of the hardest small-group camps in the game (skyfire wurms/wyverns, king and juggs/prot/tola in seb, LD and BM in velks). That statement applies to dark elves and erudites by the way--I know from experience.

In any event, if you want to break things down to min-max, here is my ranking, based on having played this class and feeling as though I know it pretty well. I think troll is the min-max choice (enhanced regen, second-best melee stats, racial slam, and blood-ember usage), though ogre and iksar are very close seconds (and good arguments can be made that they are superior to troll). Human falls in the middle of the pack. Erudite and dark elf are arguably the "worst" choices, but the high intelligence is nice, and "worst" is a relative term here.

One other random note. If you miss out on looting a Helm of Ridossan, you can just quest any one of the four mage focus items with reclaim energy and use them to the same effect from inventory.

I could go on forever, but I'm sure people's eyes are glazing over at this point. So, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me (or /tell Greevtox in game, if you can find me logged on).
Old 12-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My main is/was (I play very little these days) an erudite SK (Greevtox). Playing him has been the most fun I have had with any Everquest character (live and P99). That's probably why I went to the insane effort (for a person outside of a hardcore raid guild) of getting him the epic, full blood lord's armor, a crown of narandi, a ring 9, an eyepatch of plunder, a fungi, holgresh beads, etc. [insert fun clicky here]. It's a great class, and for someone who is looking to see a lot of Everquest content and fill a number of rolls (tank, puller, some utility, some debuffing, and low but not shameful dps on raids), I would highly recommend the class.

At the end of the day, if you're willing to learn the SK class, race shouldn't fundamentally change your play experience. The only possible caveat to that statement concerns iksar. I think iksar would play quite differently than the other races mainly because of the unavailability of blood ember clickies. There are other benefits to iksar to counterbalance that, but I relied heavily on blood ember for my play style, both on the solo and group fronts and throughout the range of levels. Also, anyone taking the time to learn the class and farm certain items will be pleasantly surprised with the level of soloing that can be done, particularly at the end game. I'm not just talking about fear kiting outdoors. At 60 with certain items (not the very best items), a SK can variously solo NG in seb, lower frenzy in velks, all of the "hardest" mobs in lguk (king, ghoul lord, frenzy), and a number of other camps that might surprise the SK naysayers! In short, farming the cash you need to buy the big, uber items that make the class shine really isn't much of an issue. Some food for thought: combine blood ember greaves, blood ember gauntlets, and a crown of narandi and you can both pull and group tank nonstop (i.e., no need to meditate). And, yes, a patient and knowledgable SK can successfully pull and tank some of the hardest small-group camps in the game (skyfire wurms/wyverns, king and juggs/prot/tola in seb, LD and BM in velks). That statement applies to dark elves and erudites by the way--I know from experience.

In any event, if you want to break things down to min-max, here is my ranking, based on having played this class and feeling as though I know it pretty well. I think troll is the min-max choice (enhanced regen, second-best melee stats, racial slam, and blood-ember usage), though ogre and iksar are very close seconds (and good arguments can be made that they are superior to troll). Human falls in the middle of the pack. Erudite and dark elf are arguably the "worst" choices, but the high intelligence is nice, and "worst" is a relative term here.

One other random note. If you miss out on looting a Helm of Ridossan, you can just quest any one of the four mage focus items with reclaim energy and use them to the same effect from inventory.

I could go on forever, but I'm sure people's eyes are glazing over at this point. So, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me (or /tell Greevtox in game, if you can find me logged on).
Good post. Would like to see a screenshot of what your SK looks like.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You should have added whatever came to mind this was a good post. More info is welcomed. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-06-2017, 01:19 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
You should have added whatever came to mind this was a good post. More info is welcomed. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seconded!
Old 12-06-2017, 01:42 AM
Fire Giant

I will however have to challenge the claim that SK dps is merely low instead of shameful.
Closed Thread