Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 01:20 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is kind of a deep topic but I was curious what the community thinks about this. This thread will have more affect on those that have some morals to begin with.

Do you feel it morally wrong to lie in the game? Given you feel it's morally wrong to lie in real life?

Are you ok with zero tip for someone from DAP? but not ok with the same to your uber/waiter(ess)?

If someone left a fungi on the ground to pick it up with another char, are you ok with taking it as your own? Likewise if someone leaves his wallet full of cash in the park, do you feel morally obligated to return it?

Of course, I think most of us can all agree that while killing thousands upon thousand of sentient beings is ok in game, it is likely morally wrong in real life!

Thoughts?
I tend to try to translate my moral into my behavior to my in game behavior. I try to not lie to anyone. I think everyone tells white lies from time to time but my behavior is generally up front and honest.

I don't regard tipping as a moral question at all. Tips are definitionally gratuities and are thus not mandatory. That said, I always tip for a port if I have the money. I would make efforts to return a fungi/wallet to its owner. However, if they cannot be located, that isn't the finder's fault. Provided the finder made a good-faith effort to return the items to their owner.

I actually have no qualms with killing things in game. As a cleric of Nife, I am sworn to fight the forces of evil and death. I don't think there is anything inherently immoral with opposing, with force if necessary, the forces of evil that exist both on Earth and in Norrath. I don't buy the notion that evil cannot be truly defined.

Most of all, my moral translate into game by my going out of my way whenever possible to help people. If people need a rez that's far off, I'll go. If people ask for buffs or whatever, I'm always happy to give them. I try to help and lift up folks as much as I can. Particularly those who are weaker than myself.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uldarre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tips are definitionally gratuities and are thus not mandatory.
This implies you have already paid for the service, and a tip is extra! Perhaps we should call them payments instead of tips.
60 Iksar Monk
20 Halfling Druid

=== OMNI ===
Old 09-26-2019, 01:58 PM
Aviak

Now I understand why there are so many 50s+ PLing noob/low teen zones. Emulating RL priesthood experiences. Nice.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

Mine do.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:29 PM
Fire Giant

There is someone behind that keyboard.

Treat them nicely if you don’t know them or you know they’re cool.

Treat them like an asshole if you know they’re an asshole.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:40 PM
Sarnak

Nice topic!

I try to play my character as close to how I believe she would act as possible. Since she is a "good" character, this includes not killing NPCs that I believe are also "good" or NPCs that I am allied with. For example, even though I know I could kill wyverns without any faction hit, I just can't do it because I am allied with COV after all, and why would I kill my allies?

In terms of interactions with other players, I try to be helpful and kind and friendly and treat other players the way I would want to be treated. If I see a bag lying on the ground I might pick it up just to see what it is. If it's a fishing grub or a piece of fruit or something I might keep it but if it's anything else I will promptly drop it back on the ground where I found it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I try to always keep in mind that ultimately all these pixels we collect really don't matter. The only thing that matters is if you feel good about playing the game. Because otherwise what's the point? And being generous, helping people and generally trying to be a positive influence feels much better than being a selfish, pixel-obsessed asshole.
I really like this sentiment! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Werga ⋆ Level 29 Shaman ⋆ Troll
Taruuk ⋆ Level 14 Necromancer ⋆ Dark Elf

Old 09-26-2019, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

As I have said before I played on Rallos Zek

PKers to me were like, real murderers.

Then randomly, I met one once when I was in college. Someone who was a proud player killer from Rallos Zek.

At first I almost belted him in the lip... but Instead I listened to his regaling of his player killing and the laughter in his heart as he explained his motives, really opened my mind.

Instead of thinking Everquest was real life, he looked at the game as a game, and so it was all fun for him.

I learned a lot that day.

That people that don't think Everquest is IRL are sociopaths. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-26-2019, 05:56 PM
Sarnak

I'm taller than a Gnome irl but otherwise quite similar in game.

I'm such a hippy I don't attack animals in game or rl.

I like exploring and don't take things too seriously.

I have no time for people that make things unpleasant in game or rl.

As an Enchanter I enjoy taking on certain illusions and wearing certain clothing and letting people think what they will.

In WoW world-pvp I never initiated combat but I'd whoop an ass if me or my friends were attacked (Gnome Warlock!).
Last edited by GnomeCaptain; 09-26-2019 at 06:02 PM..
Old 09-26-2019, 08:39 PM
Planar Protector

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Then randomly, I met one once when I was in college. Someone who was a proud player killer from Rallos Zek.

At first I almost belted him in the lip... but Instead I listened to his regaling of his player killing and the laughter in his heart as he explained his motives, really opened my mind.

Instead of thinking Everquest was real life, he looked at the game as a game, and so it was all fun for him.

That people that don't think Everquest is IRL are sociopaths. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
*PKs u*
Old 09-26-2019, 09:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I only ever played on Rallos Zek, theb sullon from its release until mid luclin. I was Darkenbane in RZ and Flowers of Happiness on SZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]