Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 11:30 AM
Kobold

Default "Classic" classic - things I should know

Back on live I came into EQ for the first time roughly halfway through Velious. I played a druid exclusively and didn't stop until the end of PoP. Here on P99, I started in 2014 with an iksar monk, got to lvl 39 then rerolled to the druid who's now 56. That said, with Green releasing soon, I am looking forward to rolling my first evil character and experiencing another side of my favorite game.

My question is this, what are some small details that someone who didn't play "classic" classic EQ might need to know? I've got a pretty good grasp on the game overall, but I'd like to hear about some of the things those of you who started in 1999 or started fresh with Blue back when it first launched, might know that I don't.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Fire Giant

You cant meditate without looking at your spellbook. Spells take an ice age to scribe (as i recall)

You cant buy stacks of things from the shop. Its furious click time.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Not sure open spellbook while meditating is going to be there on Green? Think it's client-dependent and Titanium is well past the era where we needed to stare at the spellbook (up to level 35, that is...).

Basically we'll all have to run around in rags for a while, and there will be huge drama over fine steel drops.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Some Uber classic stuff won't be in due to client and coding restraints, other things like lack of documentation and knowledge, and bugs the devs are going to leave out. They probably have some classic surprises for us too that may not have been there early on blue. TBH I'm not sure anyone besides the devs can give you a great idea of what classic stuff will or won't be in. /consent letting others loot your body? Probably not. Not being able to activate skills/items/spells with trade open? Dunno. Forced med with spell book open? Dunno. True night blindness? Doubtful. Duck not cancelling spells? Not sure.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Classes were different at launch, sometimes quite different. Necros and shamans could charm anything. 49th necro pet at launch dps'ed like a hill giant. It was truly sick.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppkins_Wytchfinder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You cant meditate without looking at your spellbook. Spells take an ice age to scribe (as i recall)

You cant buy stacks of things from the shop. Its furious click time.
I think none of these things will be like there were on live classic - these are all limitations of the client
Old 09-19-2019, 04:32 AM
Fire Giant

Good, staring at the book while meditating was seriously crap.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:40 AM
Planar Protector

Don't be so sure. I am fairly certain the spellbook changes are mentioned in recent patch notes or discussion.

Expect as much hard mode as possible but very little of the hyper OP stuff like charm all creatures for Necro and shaman and the above mentioned hyper pet.

I agree that coins will probably not be droppable to floor and that you prolly won't be able to loot player corpses when given consent.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Oh man it would be classic if the "I run over a copper coin on the ground and go LD" bug was put back in just for funzies.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

Flashbacks to opening my spellbook and sitting for 10 minutes but forgetting to actually click the Meditate button...
Closed Thread