Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Orc

Harrison,

Sign on PSN soon and help me get marathon pro.. It's so hard.

Kinuvin
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Aviak

Lol I googled that T shirt, p. bad. Looks like the tribal tattoo of shirts.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Kobold

I'm gonna go devil's advocate and say that we need bullies in the schools.

In an age where less and less children are physically active it's important let them overcome the challenge on their own.

Like any of the other social habits that these kids are developing and experimenting with they need to learn how they can deal with abuse of any type. Accepting that they're always a victim, a punching bag for the strong, is idiotic.

They don't need to be taught that bullying is wrong, that they're a victim, and that they have some obscure mental disorder because they've never figured it out somehow. Bullying isn't going to go away in schools, it's not going away in adult life, and not on a larger scale internationally. Get used to it, understand what you can do to stop it, and stop bitching about how 'unfair' it is.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned

Last edited by dredge; 12-12-2012 at 10:03 PM..
Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's not going away in adult life
Whut? When's the last time you saw bullying in adult life? Adult bullies are called criminals and end up in jail. A friend of mine was getting shit from some musclehead in a bar. He purposefully provoked the guy by calling him out on being a prick. Everyone laughed at the guy. The guy punched him. Now the guy pays part of his paycheck to my buddy every month. Way to go, bully.
Bullying of the type we are talking about is between children, who should not have to be responsible for protecting themselves against systematic and malicious attacks.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitVelvetSmooth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bullying of the type we are talking about is between children, who should not have to be responsible for protecting themselves against systematic and malicious attacks.
Whatever you might think, kids aren't stupid. They know that they're hurting other people, they enjoy being mean, they love to gain social status by picking on other kids.

This isn't just bullies, this is bullying behavior prevalent among all the different social circles. EVERYONE should be held responsible for their behavior, and EVERYONE should learn about how to deal with it. Sometimes physical violence is an acceptable answer to bullying.

We're always told that violence never solves anything. I'd say that historically violence has solved disagreements pretty well. That's why it's been so effective and so widely used, even to this day.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitVelvetSmooth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whut? When's the last time you saw bullying in adult life?
Nearly every day, but in subtle ways - extreme tailgating or offensive driving, gossiping about people behind their back to make everyone think less of them, my upstairs neighbor stomping his feet and making my ceiling fan swing all over the place because I called the complex courtesy officer on him for blasting his bass and loud music at 10pm on a weeknight...

Could go on, but bullying exists in ways that aren't technically illegal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ever think maybe the problem was you and not the bullies?

Everyone is so quick to blame everyone for everything that you forgot the part where you were too weak to do anything about it, either mentally, or physically.

So now you blame bullies for you being mentally handicapped? Right.
I'd love to kick your fucking teeth in.

I'm guessing you're a loser RL or you wouldn't be trolling forums putting people down all day like you do.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Sarnak

Hmmm, in no way am I defending Harrison or advocating some of his over-the-top comments, but it sounds like he is getting grief for things he has said in the past more than what he has said in this thread. He and Yaegar are actually making some of the best points in the thread.

One problem with everyone here is they are talking about different forms of bullying. For guys, getting bullied by another guy is a pretty easy situation to handle; if someone hits you, hit them back 10x harder... that is THE best way to handle male/male bullying. You must become Casey "The Punisher Haynes".

Girl vs girl bullying is much more of the torment variety and for that I have no real perspective, but in general you also need to find a way to "hit" back 10x harder.

I have talked with Kaushi before many times and she was bullied by boys. That is completely different, and in my opinion, is the only real bullying that schools should have zero tolerance for.

However, the basic premise that Harrison and yaegar are advocating is that at some point, in life, at your job, in elementary school, you will be either physically (predominantly guy/guy) or emotionally (predominantly girl/girl) and you MUST learn to stand up for yourself. That's it. It may be hard, but there is always a way. Bullying becomes less severe as we grow older ONLY because the majority of adults learn how to deal with it or snuff it out themselves sometime as children. However, zero tolerance type policies will only create more kids who take longer to mature into confident and strong adults.

Getting rid of dodgeball is BAD... banning "picking teams" in gym is bad. Gym class, schoolyard scuffles, being teased/made fun of are part of growing up. The more we as adults try to stamp them out, as a society, the more physically, mentally, and emotionally weak we will become in the future.

The world can chew you up and spit you out... you gotta learn resilience at some point, and the younger the better. The whole "kids being kids" thing is funny too, because as yaegar said, kids are not stupid and we do them a disservice by pampering them. Kids also who stand up to bullies often become friends with them. Watch children and they are like a walking and breathing depiction of the wild. You must earn respect, and this whole "you should just respect people" like it is an innate right is something very bizarre. You should all go read Lord of the Flies again. I used to work with children in a sleepaway summer camp setting, and the main thing is that they all wanna hang out and have a good time, sometimes there are displays of dominance and feather ruffling, but in the end kids really DO want to like eachother, but drawing lines in the sand can be counterproductive. Kids are way smarter than we give them credit for, sometimes just watching what is happening, stepping in when it gets REALLY ridiculous is ok... but let the kids be kids.

-Ghwerig
TANK SHAMAN!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toehammer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AMERIKA!! FUKK YEAH!!
Your perspective is limited to the point of comedy dude. What you suggest might have worked well in 1956, before This became a litigious society, but in today's world, should a kid put another kid in the hospital, it is likely they will enter the criminal justice system and end up paying for that for a large portion of their life. Not only that, but you forget the fundamental fact that most kids who are bullied are bullied because they are smaller and weaker than the bully or bullies who are attacking them. The only chance a kid like that would have is a weapon, which, as noted above, will probably only get them incarcerated in the real world. I personally was the victim of bullying in grade school, and I ended up doing what you suggest, but I am a big guy, and was able to actually handle myself. I would hate to have been small, and less able to defend myself. ..and before you start blathering about how "if you just hit them hard and fast enough you will make them cry," the bullies i had to deal with were inner city child-thugs, who probably would have shot me had they been just a couple years older.

Violence only begets violence, which only begets grief and suffering for everyone involved. Civilization is one tool that mankind has developed to end senseless violence, and every step we can take to go further down that road is a step in the right direction.

Pacifism wins. Ask the followers of Ghandi, who were so recently a destitute 3rd world shithole, now on the verge of being the world's 3rd or 4th richest and most industrious power. Had any job offers lately?

I'm not saying that people should not defend themselves, but it is completely ludicrous for anyone to say that the powers that be in the relevant systems should not do everything in their power to stop violence - physical, mental, or emotional - from being visited on children by mean and/or older children, and you - and everyone else here doing so - should be fucking ashamed of yourselves. You are horrible people.