Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeyuuduu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ classic was never a solo game. UO was a solo game. The "this class for groups" and "this class for solo" or "this class for raids" mentality was not present in classic, nor was a huge part of the game catered around it like it later came to be, both for EQ and almost all modern MMOs.
Moreso than changes in mechanics (though this nerf can certainly be seen as such) there's been a change in mindset between now and when classic existed. People either don't have time or the will to group, or they are anti-social and use the former as an excuse.
because you don't remember it, doesn't mean that's not the way it was.

I solo'd an enchanter on Prexus, much for the same reason I solo'd on P99 for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, wrong. People didn't have the "solo" mentality that they do now. That thought process is thanks to modern MMOs who have streamlined the leveling aspect of the game to allow for broader appeal. Classic EQ was primarily a group game.

You COULD solo on a few classes but it was not the preferred method of playing for most people. That's not to say that people didn't solo, but remember that live EQs population was dramatically higher than on P99. There was much more competition for camps and mobs, and in that case groups won out over solo 9 times out of 10.
See the above. I remember quite a few people soloing back in the day.
My mentality, as well as some others I remember, was the same. Soloing = less hassle dealing with idiots. I wasn't as bad about it back then as I am now ( I rarely join groups at all ), but I still solo'd 90% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i dont really remember any bards on my server running in circles kiting 20 mobs at a time that must not be classic id love to see a bard nerf
This guy hit the nail on the head.

just because you don't remember seeing people do something doesn't mean shit. You had tons of shitty players on your server or you are an idiot and dont remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't understand this solo-rage. If you want to solo, why not buy a copy of some newer RPG with amazingly superior graphics where you don't have to camp stuff for 12 hours+ ?

My problem with this change is that it significantly limits pet classes in small groups.
soloing for levels is just one aspect of an mmorpg. You still have the economy and surrounded by actual players, which gives the game an unexpected factor.

I don't see the big deal of forcing people to play with retards, but obviously some people like that, you don't see me wanting everyone to be forced to solo do ya?

Soloing happened. Soloing is classic. L2p
Last edited by Autotune; 10-25-2011 at 03:58 AM..
Old 10-25-2011, 05:19 AM
Aviak

Logged on Mage yesterday and tried a blue guard in Misty. Let pet damage to 60% health all the while he was taunting.....1 nuke and the mob came straight for me and smacked the crap outta me interrupted next nuke and then I managed to get the next off to take him just to flee mode but he got me to 50% health with that. If i had root of fear then this would be easy.

This was a blue anything higher and I might have got eaten.

No one is disputing the change was necessary but it was implemented without much thought for the consequences.

I played live from release and I always remember mages and necros being great soloers - its classic.

But as it is now my mage has hung up his boots and is semi retired as I play him to solo when I dont have time for a group and tanking as a mage doesnt make for a fun time.

FYI necros, enchs and wizards have spells to prevent them from tanking i.e. root, mez, fear and snare MAGES HAVE NONE OF THIS we rely purely on our pets to hold aggro whilst we do our damage and if this is broken then so are we.

Fix pet aggro for the win.

Gandulf.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Kobold

Thank you for making the game a little more difficult for solo players and still improving on bringing it closer to Classic. Maybe now the pet classes will group more often and make this feel more like a true Classic server.

Surprised at how many posts were made in two days. Keep ruffling feathers devs!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Fire Giant

Just because x isnt classic, doesn't mean the devs aren't going to fix y to be classic. They're likely working on x (and z, and a, and b, and c) as well.

Don't like it? Blame verant.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you for making the game a little more difficult for solo players and still improving on bringing it closer to Classic. Maybe now the pet classes will group more often and make this feel more like a true Classic server.

Surprised at how many posts were made in two days. Keep ruffling feathers devs!
Lol. The pet classes that are actually affected by this, with the exception of Enchanter, aren't even ideal for grouping. They can still bring a great deal to a group, but after the holy triumvirate of tank-healer-enchanter is filled, who are you going to choose to fill those last three spots? Probably not a mage or necro unless there's nobody else. Your argument that this nerf will encourage mages or necros to group is kind of weak. Even then, it seems that necros don't have that big of an issue with dealing more than 50% of the damage. Mages are most affected by the nerf.

Either way, it is what it is. The devs will do what they want. It's a free server. We can complain all we want, but at the end of the day, you can decide to buck up and play, or quit.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Aviak

I really do not understand the attitude of like it or quit, surely its in everyones best interest to maintain the population server levels for game enrichment.

This doesnt mean bending to everyones will but it does mean fixing problems which do have a big impact on a classess ability to play as was intended to by the original game designers.

Mages cannot hunt on there own without some sort of mechanism to prevent them tanking which they cannot do, all other casters have that mechanism, root, snare, fear etc. We have pets and only pets.

Pet aggro needs to be fixed to prevent an exodus of mages which can group but are often over looked for groups if something better is available.

I think that is a very very reasonable request and I should really get no objection as it doesnt effect class balance imo.

This is a constructive comment and all it would take is a developer to drop a post saying they will look into it and the thread is over, very simple.

Gandulf
Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Planar Protector

Mages have a means of preventing a mob from attacking them, you just don't want to use it. Earth pet root.

That being said, pet aggro needs fixing also weren't pets deemed too overpowered so they removed their ability to dual wield innately at higher levels? Shouldn't that nerf get undone or has it been, my pet classes are pretty low level so I don't keep up with this.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Aviak

Pre 50 earth pets arent the best and root of the earth pet is not reliable plus their damage output is poor (which means pet weapon delay issue becomes an important).

But that said the pet aggro issue also then makes our three other pets redundant out of group which I presume wasnt intended?

I think this post is valid and worthy of developer attention and possibly a response.

Gandulf
Last edited by Timarian; 10-25-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Old 10-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Banned

Earth pet root? Seriously? That's your answer?

Bahahahahahaha

Yeah, that shit is great when you are lvl 12 and can tank the mob yourself anyway.

Know how long a 50+ mage lasts with an appropriate level mob beating on them?

The answer is not long enough to hope that your pet may actually proc root, which I see happen 1-2 times a fight
Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That being said, pet aggro needs fixing also weren't pets deemed too overpowered so they removed their ability to dual wield innately at higher levels? Shouldn't that nerf get undone or has it been, my pet classes are pretty low level so I don't keep up with this.
When was innate dual wield removed? If it was during Velious or after, we shouldn't be affected by it right now. After all, if we can't have the Luclin era new pet XP scheme, we shouldn't have Luclin era (or later) nerfs.

I don't know if pets can't dual wield innately here as I'm not high enough yet, and I don't know when they lost the ability to.

I was in a group yesterday with another necro and a mage and the XP was lousy at times. This "classic" change will affect the desire of groups to invite pet classes. Where before it was beneficial to have a lot of pets, now you have to limit them if you don't want an XP nerf. Already have a necro or mage? No room for another. The mage who invited me last night didn't know of the XP change, so to him it was beneficial to have a lot of pets. We didn't get good XP until the rare tank came looking for group, as the higher level mobs resisted our nukes too often and we couldn't do the majority of damage.

There's a reason this XP scheme was changed you know. The old scheme (our current scheme) is lousy. Where before I was just upset that pet delay was refused, now I'm upset at this scheme. It nerfs pet class's ability to solo save enchanters, and may nerf their ability to get groups. And no, the answer is not to roll a class that can get groups. The answer is what Verant or Sony did, which is change the XP scheme.
Last edited by MrSparkle001; 10-25-2011 at 11:46 AM..
Closed Thread