Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 06:31 AM
Aviak

If you intend to chain summon pets, don't deal damage, or your next pet will have a harder time to regain agro. If you don't deal any damage, above strategy of dismissing pet while new one is almost summoned is just perfect to stay safe from any non summoning mob.

Also, if you chain fire pets, you will want to "back up" freshly summoned pet till it casts its innate damage shield (only does when out of combat), because it doesn't cast it instantly when summoned and you do want it on your fire pet to fasten the killing process [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-23-2016, 08:00 AM
Kobold

Thanks very much for all your help
Old 06-01-2016, 11:16 PM
Fire Giant

Prior to 46 when you MUST get a burnt wood staff (1.5-2k for a 333dmg clickie! Wizards pay that much for a crappy 20dmg or so wand), have the pet get the mob down to as low as possible before reclaiming it so you can use the lowest mana nuke you can get away with to finish it off or even melee it. There are some decent melee weapons cheap. If your pet gets the mob down to 1-5%, one hit with say a 30/40 velium brawl stick (about 1.5k) would finish it off. If you're broke, a runewood great staff is 22/40 and costs 50pp or less.

At 56 my mage can chain pull all day without ever having to med.

The first thing big thing you want to save for is jboots. They will save you from countless deaths.
Last edited by BarackObooma; 06-01-2016 at 11:18 PM..
Old 06-04-2016, 11:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Magician's can solo 100% naked to level 60. (not counting focus equipment ofc)

At level 24 is a perfect time to start chaining fire pets. You'll be in the 50's before you know it. Be sure to get that torch focus item which is good up to 49. Then at 50 switch to monster summoning 2 unless you have the 50's focus items.

1. Summon fire pet let it DS it self.
2. Attack monster(s)
3. Start summoning a new fire pet. When fire pet is ~35% life depending on how fast it's going down.
4. click Go Away on the pet window just before the new fire pet completes summoning.
5. Tell new pet to attack the monster(s) to get agro. Click Back & Follow to trick the fire pet into thinking it is idle so that it will DS it self. (remember to tell it to attack again)
6. Before the monster(s) are dead use reclaim on the fire pet. (safety tip: undead don't flee)
7. Finish the monster(s) off with a DD spell.

Seven steps to easily Plvl yourself into the 50s as a Mage.

NEVER HEAL YOUR PET AS A MAGE,. THE MANA EFFICIENCY OF THE HEAL IS TOTAL GARBAGE COMPARED TO SUMMONING A FRESH PET.
Learn how to efficiently manage targets and hold agro with your pet. It is key that you have a way to tell your pet to attack monsters especially when your chain summoning while fighting multiple targets.

Remember to carry multiple stacks of malachite. I carry 5-6 stacks(20) with me at all times on my mage. For me that's 100-120 pets I can summon.
If you do the fire pet chain summoning properly and go all at it. I recommend filling up 2, maybe 3, 8 slot medicine bags full of 20stack malachite and just going to town on mobs.
Malachite is very cheap, even for a new player.

Ask for Clarity,.

When chain summoning fire pets it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is if you have enough mana to chain summon the monster(s) down.
Later on,. You look at the top damage to determine the pets level. Carry lots of malachite or wing it with less then max level pets and Carry lots of malachite.

mid game advise: Later in your career as a magician it is wise to buy a 10 dose SoW pot. You're the one in control of your fights so if you know you don't have the mana to finish the monster(s) you can take a swing for SoW then beeline for a zoneline while your last pet is still fighting the monster(s).
Don't let people convince you that Jboots or travelers boots are cool or useful. SoW past ~30ish is faster then them and is still cheaper in the long run.
Let's say you took the 5k-6k you were going to spend on Jboots and spent that on SoW Pots. 5k plat is 12.5 Days worth of SoW, 6k plat is 15 Days worth of SoW, Which keep in mind at higher levels is FASTER then Jboots or Travelers boots. (these prices are based on 10 dose pots being 100pp, You can get them cheaper)

This is all great information and I agree with every bit, the only thing is i don't think you can necessarily solo to 60 as a magician. Getting to 55 is really easy and actually really fun, but 56+ is a nightmare for a magician solo, theres also not that many areas to solo in that a mage can CC etc
Old 06-05-2016, 01:51 AM
Fire Giant

Chain summoning, or reclaiming your pet is nice. I'm not here to argue that. I'm just here to offer another option.

What I usually do on my mage was to summon a fire pet (with focus) and then mem earth pet and swap focus from torch to the shovel. Then I would send my pet in to a group of 3-4 mobs. Then I would burn the one my pet was on down and summon an earth pet as my fire pet was going down. Once my earth pet was up I'd send him in to get aggro and burn a second one down. Usually about 1 or 2 nukes would kill the mobs, since they were all weakened by my fire pet. After the mobs were dead and the spawns staggered, I would reclaim my earth pet and summon a fresh fire pet with the torch and med up. Then it's just a matter of killing the mobs as they spawn.

I used this tactic on bandits leveling up, and then even in places like the scryer camp in Guk where I soloed from 20 to 24 easily. Again, I'm not saying it's a better way, just a different way. I found it quite fun and I'd usually out-damage my pet anyways since the ds is neutral damage. YMMV. ☺
Old 06-05-2016, 03:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All classes are pretty boring solo besides I guess enchanter doing some crazy charm killing deep in a dungeon. It's always more fun to group or duo. What's nice about magician is you have the option. But yes I agree with above posters.. Chain pet post 39 is the way to go.
Shaman clearing efreeti is real fun 😎
Old 06-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Good mob selection is key to mage soloing. You want to target dark blues that your focused fire pet can reliably solo down to under 20% by itself, without you nuking or needing to chain a replacement pet. This is entirely possible. You shouldn't have to chain cast pets for XP pre-50 at all. You will, of course, have some occasional runs of bad luck where you get a minimum level pet vs. a max level dark blue mob, in which case you will probably be forced to chain another pet. But those instances should definitely be the exception. If you're regularly having to chain pets while leveling you're doing it wrong. Hunt lower level and lower HP mobs.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Planar Protector

Heres a good list of zones sorted by level of mobs in the zone.

You can pick a few and go down the mob list on the individual pages to see what kind of HP/hit rating the mobs have and determine where you want to travel.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Recommen...s_and_ZEM_List
Old 06-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Fire Giant

You can level from 30-60 in Dreadlands if you wanted to. Some of the Ravashing Drolvargs are dark blue even at 58.

Benefits:
*Large variety of mobs to choose from and the only casters are the spiders.
*Firiona Vie is a zone away to bank, sell, buy malachites, etc.
*There are usually plenty of porters and clerics that wander through to KC if you need a rez or port.
*Along the North and East walls are usually safe places to hunt.
*Mobs (except for Ravashings) have low hitpoints compared to dungeon mobs and Velious mobs of the same level for faster kills.
*You never have to waste time trying to find a group. Mages are usually not the #1 class people look for so when you're trying to get into a dungeon group, you're going to get picked near last if at all.
*If you do die, CRs are cake. I recommend binding at the DL/FV zoneline.

Drawbacks:
*You don't have as big of a zone bonus multiplier like the cookie cutter dungeon leveling most people do (Crushbone, Unrest, Mistmoore, COM, Sol B, Karnors, Seb). BUT you also don't have the downtime of trying to find/get into a group or messy CRs.
*Bards like to kite most of the zone. When this happens, there's fewer mobs to choose from. Plus, the idiot ones drag the mobs close to the KC wall which can aggro on you if they die (and they do) or zone. If you see this happen, just log out and in to clear aggro to be on the safe side.
*Loot is generally poor.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:17 AM
Aviak

Can also solo inside KC by the moat. Pull undead mobs to the corners of moat area. Can be tricky at times but it's doable. Lots of blues in Kedge that give exp as well, though that has a steeper learning curve. Can also duo efreeti area of SolB with a shaman. Or if you're tired of grinding for exp; IDPS in Chardok.
Closed Thread