Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Boxing for PVP is generally not done - they're talking about boxing for exp groups and raids, which does happen somewhat maybe but not to the extent that they naysayers would have you believe. It is true that the raiding guilds have myriad alt accounts, and when you bring a wizard to a raid, they might want you to camp him out there for loots but actually play a core raid class like rogue or especially cleric. Them's the breaks on an underpopulated server...
Totally true.. From the outside looking in on red. A major turn off is boxing.. Yet years later, im just now finding out boxing isn't used for PVP.. i look at the server with a fresh set of eyes now [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-27-2018, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

I will say there are exceptional people who can box pretty damn well in PvP [although usually involving hacks], but they are the exception not the norm. Typically, for us normal humans, the boxed char is immobile during PvP and easily dispatched.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeff100 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Over the last few years i've gained more and more interest in wanting to make a toon on red. So i am basically clueless on red. But this little blip of writing tells me all i need to know, and very clearly too. Well done. Super sad- Cause i really do want to adventure on a PVP server. But it's a huge turn off to know everybody on there is pimped the fuck out with gear, and that geared out toon is tied into a trio of toons you're boxing on. Can't wait to log in to a newb zone to find homey bored waiting destroy me before the giant rat does.
It's not like this on p99 red right now. The atmosphere is way better than before. Less players at the moment, but I think it will climb back up, I've seen some new people starting these past couple days.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:21 PM
Planar Protector

Big Z is on the real R99 is coming back. New players are sprucing up everywhere!
Old 09-27-2018, 08:51 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeff100 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Over the last few years i've gained more and more interest in wanting to make a toon on red. So i am basically clueless on red. But this little blip of writing tells me all i need to know, and very clearly too. Well done. Super sad- Cause i really do want to adventure on a PVP server. But it's a huge turn off to know everybody on there is pimped the fuck out with gear, and that geared out toon is tied into a trio of toons you're boxing on. Can't wait to log in to a newb zone to find homey bored waiting destroy me before the giant rat does.

With how little the population is on these servers, is it totally crazy for the player base to come together and say hey.. "This server is totally fucked but we love to pvp, so lets salvage this. On the following date- All players need to either wipe their toons, or start a new level 1, and join one of the 2 or 4 or 6 or whatever- Guilds". Without a GM to wipe the server for you, is red capable of rallying together to do their own "reset"?
Not crazy at all. Try it.

Realistically, I don't know how many players would stay faithful to player-driven restrictions. I imagine that the temptation to go back to Velious twinks & slaughter the players running around in vanilla gear will be too strong for some people.

It's much easier if the server admin makes the call for the players. An official relaunch also markets itself and attracts more players. Sirken should know this (he's still around, right?) since he worked with me on VZTZ.

A "will never be reset" hard line seems like a death knell for this type of server. Makes more sense to set some minimum # of years between resets so players have assurances of stability.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:34 PM
Sarnak

The released Kun and Vel.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sear [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Realistically, I don't know how many players would stay faithful to player-driven restrictions. I imagine that the temptation to go back to Velious twinks & slaughter the players running around in vanilla gear will be too strong for some people.

It's much easier if the server admin makes the call for the players. An official relaunch also markets itself and attracts more players. A "will never be reset" hard line seems like a death knell for this type of server.
There doesn't need to be a reset to balance this stuff out. They could just limit overpowered gear based upon level/zone. Also balance melee/caster damage (and resists) better for PvP, because it's ridiculous in this era of the game, with melee dominating and casters doing virtually nothing to a well geared melee.

They already have their purely "classic" coding for blue server, they should be able to do non-classic stuff on this box.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:17 PM
Banned

i wont be deleting any of my geared toons, sorry you lost
Old 09-27-2018, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i wont be deleting any of my geared toons, sorry you lost
Perfectly normal conversation about red. Insert- Bazia ladies and gentlemen.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There doesn't need to be a reset to balance this stuff out. They could just limit overpowered gear based upon level/zone. Also balance melee/caster damage (and resists) better for PvP, because it's ridiculous in this era of the game, with melee dominating and casters doing virtually nothing to a well geared melee.

They already have their purely "classic" coding for blue server, they should be able to do non-classic stuff on this box.
Takes an average of 1.8 years per patch of typoed quest text, but I’m sure they’ll work on some custom balance patches to the PvP server.