Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 11-07-2022, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

What is the single worst thing about living in Japan?
Old 11-07-2022, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Every expat I knew with a Japanese wife said the same thing. “I love my wife… but don’t ever marry a Japanese girl they’re fucking insane!” And as soon as kids come along, the sex stops in its tracks. I knew so many married men that has side bitches simply cuz their wife’s wouldn’t put out. Which is also why soapland whore houses are so popular.
It ain't all about sex. I couldn't say if that's what caused their almost divorce. Cops were called at some point, I think. Alcohol is a factor. I barely know them both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is the single worst thing about living in Japan?
For me, it would be several things. I'd probably die of liver failure within a few years. My brother is well on his way.

I also suspect I'd get tired of not having a true kitchen. I am sure they exist but it's doubtful I could afford to have one there.

Maybe these aren't as big of a deal outside of Tokyo, dunno. We spent most of our time there and Kyoto. Tourism crap, mostly.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:20 PM
Fire Giant

Hmm good question. Probably the blatant racism, sexism, and xenophobia. I was lucky cuz I lived there as a contractor for the US military, so I worked with Americans on a Navy base and had SOFA status. But my girlfriend who is European worked as a research professor for the Japanese government and she’s got enough stories to write a book. Foreign woman working for the Japanese government? no bueno. That’s why we ended up leaving.

Also, I’ve never been in a place that is so alcoholic. It’s super fun as an expat, but underneath the surface it’s really depressing. Obliterated salary men passed out in a puddle of their own puke on a train platform. Funny at first, but sad when you really think about it.

Also also, I’m not aware of any other culture that has a specific word for dying at your desk from overworking. Karoshi. And it’s not an uncommon thing either. You see it in the news all the time. And I can’t count the amount of times trains were delayed due to people jumping in front of them.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:39 PM
Planar Protector

Thank you for the thoughtful responses.

Alcohol. That was me in my 20s. I outgrew it finally in my mid 30s tho.

Too bad about all the suicides. That really does suck.

I wouldn't mind dying skinny and getting raptured at work brainwashed that I was winning or something. Harder to see it coming that way.

Sexism sucks. I'm no social justice warrior tho. I know it I could snap my fingers and retcon to female all my life I would hope for a very traditional family and try to be an obedient good wife for a great man. That isn't true or possible tho so it doesn't count.
Last edited by magnetaress; 11-07-2022 at 10:41 PM..
Old 11-08-2022, 12:22 AM
Planar Protector

Gotta give em little buggers clever credits.

Old 11-08-2022, 12:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gotta give em little buggers clever credits.

Should I watch the other 17 minutes to find out if they're talking about deuterium?
Old 11-08-2022, 12:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Should I watch the other 17 minutes to find out if they're talking about deuterium?
2H is not H2 I guess [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-08-2022, 12:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No butt they gotta crack and conserve helium which isn't lost really fast once they gott it in the tubes for this application. So it should be doable. WW3 or us steeling the tech and hoarding helium could screw them. Helium isn't the only option tho as some erudites have pointed out. The brits used a carbon gas. Maybe it's less safe butt just as workable and economic. The safety margins on a helium cooled HTTR r p gud tho.

No deuterium needed.

It's really simple dumb dumb stuff that mostly requires retooling and a market shift.

No reason it can't work really. And if we where patience it could potentially be fully scaled up for global use. U think Musk will playball tho?

May be useful to a post tribulations atlantis tribe. The tech isn't incredibly hard. Or fancy or flashy.

The video is like 5th grader lvl and I understood it. Nice that a PoC is talking about it. Glad to see him getting in on the action. (Trolling jib)
Last edited by magnetaress; 11-08-2022 at 12:53 AM..
Old 11-08-2022, 12:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
2H is not H2 I guess [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some H2 is more expensive than other h2.

Butt it's exactly the same molecules. Different sources.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:56 AM
Planar Protector

Would be baller if Calli just big subsidized red h2 instead of being taxosexuals about fossils.