Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 12-01-2022, 04:53 AM
Banned

Default Is EverQuest one of the only MMOs where race mattered?

I always think it's interesting when I'm playing more modern MMOs and see people ask what race they should be for certain classes. And the answer is almost always "it doesn't matter what race you play, just pick whatever race you like the best."

But in EverQuest the experience you would have from playing an Erudite Paladin versus a Dwarf Paladin was massive. Not just stats wise, and night vision wise, but the areas of the game felt completely different. Almost like you were playing a completely different version of the game.

I can't think of any other MMO since EverQuest where your race REALLY made a huge difference, yet we still see this question asked all of the time and I can't help but wonder if the people who ask that question even know where it originated, or why they're still asking it 20+ years later even though it's never really been a factor in any other MMO that I've played.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:51 AM
Banned

I believe in South Park: Stick of Truth, the game would become much more difficult if you made your character black. (Erudite)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:23 AM
Banned

In WoW undead’s will of the forsaken was OP compared to most other racials and made them the min/max race for competitive arenas

That long with orc’s hardiness racial was the reason alliance claimed horde came to dominate pvp on the pvp servers but really we all know it was because we were better players

But IMO race mattered more in EQ
Old 12-01-2022, 11:28 AM
Planar Protector

Y is horde better?
Old 12-01-2022, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

WoW for sure.

Vanilla there was a ton of broken stuff. Dwarf priest fear ward, undead fear break, +sword skill for human, orc stun resist, etc.

Later on in Cata you had hardcore PvE guilds switching to Horde because of Goblin's rocket jump. Shit was broken for avoiding raid mechanics.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Y is horde better?
On the original release of the game horde were actually the less populous faction on many servers including mine, which had a 1.5ish-1 ratio of A:H

This meant we were usually outnumbered in most world pvp fights while leveling up. So when BG’s came out which forced even numbers horde were more used to needing to CC during pvp to stay alive, etc

IMO
Old 12-01-2022, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

Night elf hunter in vanilla was sick too. You could charge aimed shot while shadowmelded in pvp.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:37 AM
Banned

Oh yea in terms of race mattering in classic WoW (not vanilla but the more recent release of classic), not necessarily your race but your faction choice was game breaking

This was because some servers had like 80/20 faction ratio’s where when the honor system came out all you could do was chain die and get farmed as soon as you stepped outside your city or stepped off flight transports

It made the game basically unplayable and forced people to server xfer, which people did to the more populated faction on a different server also making ratio’s worse. Turns out most humans will always pick the path of least resistance in life

In fact it completely broke the game to where the devs had to allow the same faction to be able to fight itself in BG’s because differences in population made the queues be hours long for horde. And now with this most recent expansion I hear horde and ally are no longer enemies, essentially ruining the concept of WARcraft

All because humans kept being weak and lazy and wanting to be on the winning, more populated side
Old 12-01-2022, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

yeah id didnt play classic b/c i already destroyed that game when it came out
Old 12-01-2022, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WoW for sure.

Vanilla there was a ton of broken stuff. Dwarf priest fear ward, undead fear break, +sword skill for human, orc stun resist, etc.

Later on in Cata you had hardcore PvE guilds switching to Horde because of Goblin's rocket jump. Shit was broken for avoiding raid mechanics.
You aren't wrong by any means, but when WoW classic came out, I rolled a Human Priest and it felt fine. I feel like in EQ the difference between an Ogre Warrior and a Gnome Warrior was much more massive? In my experience as a Human Priest I never felt significantly gimped because of my race.