Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 02:54 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New Here aswell.

Just recently had some spare free time enter my routine in life and wanted to start playing a legit Goal setting MMO again, I know the core and basics of EQ but the only experience I have playing it, is the occasional times I've booted up Live to try and get into the game long after its prime, unfortunately Live while fun(dont shoot me) is just bland, reminds me to much of retail WoW. As someone who's hardcore gaming career consisted of mostly FF11, I thought I'd give a shot at the true prime that gave it all its inspiration. Rolled a ogre warrior(Despite everything I've heard wrong with warriors in classic) on Blue, but then realized blues economy is somewhere out of the reach, I'm open minded to EQ raiding, but really just here for the adventure and minor goal stones. Is there a different server I should pick? And is the game still active enough for low-mid game play, or am I better off making a necro or mag? Sorry, I know this post is long as shit and I dont have a TL;DR, but I'm at work typing this on mobile rn just insanely hyped at the idea of EQ classic tbh
Old 09-22-2020, 09:25 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Welcome to P99, friend!

We do have 3 servers: Blue, Green, and Red. Blue being the older of the PVE servers and Red being the PvP server. If you want tons of low-mid level grouping, I'd suggest the Green server since its still in the "classic" era and hasnt even gone through its first expansion yet (Kunark), although it will soon probs next month or something.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:07 PM
Aviak

I'm a returning player that started playing when Kunark came out, so my take/nostalgia will be a little bit different, but....

I would recommend starting on Green. That's what I've been playing on and it's been a blast. Most everyone I have come across has been pleasant, the lower level zones are busy enough to find groups but it's not so over-crowded that you can't get a camp (at least my hours). Gear might be a bit more expensive than on Blue but a lot of those items are a long ways off for us, so it's not too big of a worry. And Kunark will be opening soon which should be great fun experiencing.

I would also recommend not starting a warrior. If you want to do melee, I would go Shadow Knight/Paladin just so you have some sort of life-tap/heal. Otherwise you will be very dependent on having a healer nearby to keep to XP flowing. Starting a Mage or Necro would be even better because they're less equipment dependent and stronger soloing which would give you more flexibility in your playing. Druid is another option because you have a lot of abilities in your tool-kit and you have Invis, SoW and later teleports which will help open the world up to you. Any of those classes should give you a quicker start than doing a Warrior, and if your heart is set on it then you can raise some plat and gear up your alt for easier leveling later.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-22-2020, 12:42 PM
Banned

Welcome!
Old 09-22-2020, 12:43 PM
Sarnak

Depending on your playtimes and dedication, you might have trouble getting out of the low levels on Blue. Everyone is twinked up the ass and prefer to solo. On the other hand, you can get pretty good gear for next to nothing. Warrior is not exactly a farming class, but there are a few VERY GOOD cash camps in mid-teen levels.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweatbeard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rolled a ogre warrior(Despite everything I've heard wrong with warriors in classic) on Blue, but then realized blues economy is somewhere out of the reach
I would kind of argue the opposite really. You can get really good gear at very low prices. The only thing that will be out of your reach for a while is the more high end stuff, but you aren't going to have access to that right away on any server.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:13 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyborg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would kind of argue the opposite really. You can get really good gear at very low prices. The only thing that will be out of your reach for a while is the more high end stuff, but you aren't going to have access to that right away on any server.
Hmm, maybe I was looking at the wrong EQAuction then, a lot of prices for even low level gear seemed to be off. I have done a bit of research and do know about some of the low level plat farms. Haven't got the chance to log on and play passed level 4 yet, but I'll do some more research tonight.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:16 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashedd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depending on your playtimes and dedication, you might have trouble getting out of the low levels on Blue. Everyone is twinked up the ass and prefer to solo. On the other hand, you can get pretty good gear for next to nothing. Warrior is not exactly a farming class, but there are a few VERY GOOD cash camps in mid-teen levels.
Maybe I should re-roll to mag. Then? I also enjoy them and am aware they're far more capable of soloing. I work 3rd shift, Central time. So my play time usually consists of real early A.M through weekdays, to later P.M play weekends
Closed Thread