Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:10 PM
Aviak

Default Armor mitigation

Question seem to recall long ago either talk about different armor mitigating damage based on type rather than AC. I'm not seeing any hard facts and I'm not finding much info letting me know just how much. For example plate ac of say 10 versus chain of the same. Obviously there is some scaling somewhere ie cloth ac vs plate would be significant.

Anyone?
Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Planar Protector

There is no such mechanic ^^. AC is AC and it doesn't matter what type of item it comes from.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:37 PM
Planar Protector

AC of chain, plate, cloth is all the same. Are the values relevant to damage mitigation? Somewhat
Old 03-30-2015, 10:58 PM
Fire Giant

there's a lot of bro science floating around regarding AC, i think the most accepted theory is that the AC number on your character is a lie and that different classes get a percentage of it something like, warriors get 90%, pal/sk get 80% rangers get 50% or something like that.

so a warrior and a ranger with 600 ac in their inventory would be mitigating damage at a much different rate.

also, not sure if this is implemented at classic but i believe AC derived from shields is added as 100% ac regardless of class.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:28 PM
Aviak

I found this old thread which seems to support sox saying it is more dependant on class etc was an interesting read.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48312
Old 03-31-2015, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

The only differences in item AC (what the ok asked about) for classes is that melee get a slight bonus and casters have a higher cap. Again that is for item AC. Base AC is derived from skills, agi and innate bonuses, which vary and are limited based on class, but that has nothing to do with item AC.

When someone says a particular class does not tank as well as another because it cannot wear plate, that is because plate items generally have more AC than cloth items. It is not the case that plate item AC is more effective.

Also, due to innate bonuses and differences in skill caps, it is not always true that a class with plate will tank better than one with chain or one with chain better than one with cloth. Monks are an excellent example.
Last edited by maskedmelon; 03-31-2015 at 10:04 AM..
Old 04-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

The displayed AC you see is a composite stat that isn't used in game, but is rather there to give you a ballpark idea of your characters overall defensive abilities.

In short, it crunches together your avoidance AC and mitigation AC (different types of ac have different caps). More is better, but adding 1 displayed AC through Agi is not the same as adding 1 displayed AC through armour or spells.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Aviak

Thanks for the responses. I played a support back on TZ in the day so never really worried about AC and mitigation back then. Have since rolled a melee on P99 and I'm just wrapping my head around some of the endgame mechanics and mitigation. Although I did not roll a monk it seems their avoidance and with iksar ac bonus some of their endgame tanking ability seems pretty obscene.
Closed Thread