Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Orc

Popped 25 into the kitty, hope it helps.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Orc

Send a message via ICQ to KnuckleSangwich Send a message via AIM to KnuckleSangwich

I'll donate servers and bandwidth anytime -- just let me know [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Fire Giant

The notion of getting something extra for donating has come up a few times. I think it's best to just accept that you get the server to play on. As you can all see, it has been incredibly stable and solid in terms of performance (server and network). They overcame issues related to DDOS attacks part of which involved moving to a much better colocation facility, all thanks to the money from donations. The larger one-time donations help but I think a consistent monthly amount would be the biggest help. I pretend that I have a subscription and send $15.00 / month for each active account in my house. Not everyone can afford to pay a lot or anything but I know that every little bit helps and is truly appreciated by the admins of the servers (and also by all of the players who play on this stable and solid server). The admins don't actively campaign for donations all the time (beyond the donations button) but instead rely upon us all to show our appreciation and desire to have the server around for years to come by sending in some money when possible.
-----------------------
Last edited by Striiker; 08-26-2010 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: missed a word
Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollyon arali [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Suggestion,

Maybe put a graph on the home page which shows monthy costs to run the server and current donation levels?

visuals are nice....
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Fire Giant

Reiker,

I am certain that they do not profit from the server and that they are maintaining a very accurate record of donations and expenditures. If they didn't or if it was demonstrated that they profited off the donations, they would be in a world of legal hurt if SOE ever decided to open any legal actions against the server. The entire premise of the server is that it is free and that nobody personally profits from it. The only way to prove this would be through solid accounting of donations in and expenses out with a bank account set up to hold and track this all.

Any extra money sitting in the bank will take care of new hardware costs, hosting fees, etc during the times when donations take a downturn. Ideally they will have sufficient funds to run the server for 6 - 12 months should donations really fall. Plus there are unexpected hardware costs to plan for (such as any capital expenses to protect against DDOS attacks).
-----------------------
Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Reiker,

I am certain that they do not profit from the server and that they are maintaining a very accurate record of donations and expenditures. If they didn't or if it was demonstrated that they profited off the donations, they would be in a world of legal hurt if SOE ever decided to open any legal actions against the server. The entire premise of the server is that it is free and that nobody personally profits from it. The only way to prove this would be through solid accounting of donations in and expenses out with a bank account set up to hold and track this all.

Any extra money sitting in the bank will take care of new hardware costs, hosting fees, etc during the times when donations take a downturn. Ideally they will have sufficient funds to run the server for 6 - 12 months should donations really fall. Plus there are unexpected hardware costs to plan for (such as any capital expenses to protect against DDOS attacks).
lol
Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If this is Sony's chart...there's way too much of the....non green coloring.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Sarnak

well TBH I'd just like to be able to see listed who donated and how much. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] That way we can officially call someone a cheapazz. That reminds me, Rog... I need to donate; haven't done so yet since money is hard to come by these days.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:07 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just got owned
Fixed~

And yea, nilbog handles all donations.. paypal keeps it nice and easy for us to keep track of it all.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Closed Thread