Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Default Idea for custom content: Classic Spirit server

Now that the "beta" Blue server has run its course and the fresh Green/Teal servers have launched, many players have turned their eyes to the possibility of the long-awaited "custom content" Rogean, Nilbog & Co. have talked about for years. There are obviously numerous possibilities for what exactly "custom content" could look like, with varying degrees of difficulty involved in creating it. For example, would the custom content be entirely new? Or perhaps just carefully selected portions of Luclin and PoP? Those are the most commonly bandied about ideas, at least.

I have another proposal for "custom content": a server that makes small balance changes to the game in an effort to more accurately reproduce the spirit rather than the letter of classic EverQuest. Following the launch of Green and Teal, it became obvious to many players that scrupulously recreating the content and mechanics of classic EQ is paradoxically not the best way to recreate the feel of classic EQ. This is because 20 years of game knowledge and experience has fundamentally altered the way that people play the game. That being the case, the only way to more accurately emulate the actual gameplay of classic EQ is to make minor changes to the game that discourage powergaming and cheese tactics. At the same time, we can use this opportunity to make minor changes to class balance. These changes are made with the benefit of 20 years of hindsight and are conceived with the effort of promoting maximum balance between classes with minimal modification to the game.

All that being said, the Classic Spirit server I'm proposing would have the following custom changes:
  • Item recharging disabled
  • Multiquesting disabled
  • Midnight Mallet effect changed to proc
  • Ivandyr's Hoop effect removed from item
  • Wooly Spider Silk Nets changed to LORE
  • Soulfire clicky changed to Paladin-only
  • Reaper of the Dead clicky changed to SK-only
  • All high-level droppable weapons and armor tagged with level requirements (twinking still possible but you must use more level-appropriate gear rather than super-high end stuff)
  • ZEMs of uncommonly utilized dungeons increased
  • "Hot zones" with additional XP bonus rotated regularly through uncommonly utilized dungeons
  • Particularly dangerous/annoying leveling dungeons (Runnyeye, Cazic-Thule, etc...) optimized for easier play (i.e. fix excessive NPC mana pools and healing/aggroing through walls)
  • Legacy items (Manastone, Guise, JBoots, Rubicite, etc...) NOT in game. They demonstrably cause more trouble than they're worth on a new server
  • AOE spell limit in place (no Chardok AOE)
  • All charm spells limited to a fixed six-tick duration (36 sec). They either resist outright or last 36 seconds every time (Charm becomes emergency CC and/or risky short-term DPS/tanking, not the OP monstrosity it is now)
  • Clarity removed from Enchanters and given to Wizards
  • Wizards given innate spell criticals
  • Paladins and SKs given innate undead criticals
  • Melody implemented for Bards
  • Monk AC/mitigation nerfed to post-Velious patch level
  • Lifetap spells restored to lure/unresistable status
  • Pet window enabled (QoL)
  • Torpor overwrites runspeed buffs and drains 50 mana per tick
  • Hybrid XP penalty removed
  • -25% XP penalty for solo players
  • 5% XP bonus removed from Halflings and given to Humans
  • Player-enforced raid rotations mandatory, with semi-regular simulated server resets (Earthquakes) that are FFA on all raid mobs

tl;dr a server with no item recharging, no MQs, no legacy items, reduced twinking, penalized soloing, discouraged powergaming/poopsocking and minor class balance changes to nerf Enchanters/Shamans/Monks and buff hybrids/Wizards.

Would you player on this server? What other changes would you propose for a Classic Spirit server?
Old 12-04-2019, 11:51 AM
Sarnak

+1
Old 12-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Aviak

I would not. But thanks for coming out!
Old 12-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

Jboots arent legacy items? They just get moved to a quest.

Your server vision seems extremely targeted and the beauty of Classic EQ is its free flowing.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:05 PM
Orc

I would support that! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

One cave-at:
Everquest back then was developed as a continuous project under the assumption that there would always be a "next patch", rather than a content freeze at a specific cut-off point.

Meaning, there were serveral fixes to classes and balancing issues, that were delayed untill luclin(for practical reasons), but still addressed issues in the original trilogy, those should be included as well.
Adding spellcrit for wizards(as you mention) is one of them, but im sure there are many more later fixes aswell (familiars for wizards!!!) , that would make it a much more polished game. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

They could even add extra zones that would fit well with the original trilogy. A "re-itemized" veksar for example. or (if you are feeling creative, something new, like an orc fortress next to orc highway in oasis, there was probably supposed to be "something" there?). Or maybe fix those quests that were never finished back then...(Daybreak actually did fix some kunark-era quests with the latest progression sever iirc. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] )

p.s. I think Sony kept jboots in the game on purpose, otherwise they wouldn't have added Tboots later. But yeah, I think having such a needed item drop from a single npc was poor design(and even Sony fixed that).
Last edited by Firepuff; 12-04-2019 at 12:20 PM..
Old 12-04-2019, 12:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[*]All high-level droppable weapons and armor tagged with level requirements (twinking still possible but you must use more level-appropriate gear rather than super-high end stuff)
Noooope. Twinking is one of the most fun things to do in this 20 year old elf sim.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

I like everything you listed. Would definitely give the classic spirit imho. I might even add to mix up loot tables. It would be awesome to kill a named again and have NO IDEA what's going to drop!
Or having the community Come together at kunark launch to figure out where the fungi tunic drops now. Stuff like that!

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 12-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like everything you listed. Would definitely give the classic spirit imho. I might even add to mix up loot tables. It would be awesome to kill a named again and have NO IDEA what's going to drop!
Or having the community Come together at kunark launch to figure out where the fungi tunic drops now. Stuff like that!
Thats only fun for like 2 weeks tho, the beauty of this game is its longevity.

These are all large n part fleeting gimmicks of entertainment bc many of us know everything but theres so many noobs who dont know everything that the game is how u describe to them.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Kobold

Good write up, this is a really good summary of what I think a lot of P99 players (myself included) actually want from P99. Maybe we'll get this with Green 2.0!
Old 12-04-2019, 01:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thats only fun for like 2 weeks tho, the beauty of this game is its longevity.

These are all large n part fleeting gimmicks of entertainment bc many of us know everything but theres so many noobs who dont know everything that the game is how u describe to them.
Oh look we've got a genius over here
Closed Thread