Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was my understanding that most people would not have ever experienced this one live simply because most zones in classic are not large enough and most classes not fast enough to attain the 500+ distance required to replicate the disengaging of the mob.

I cannot confirm or deny that this happened on live back in 1999 but it does make sense why many would be confused as to how this mechanic could have possibly existed.
We know it didn't since it was common practice to pull most of Sky to islands 1 and 4 using various tactics i.e Wizard sky port + keying up to 4.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We know it didn't since it was common practice to pull most of Sky to islands 1 and 4 using various tactics i.e Wizard sky port + keying up to 4.
Legit question: How are you judging the exact in game distance though? Is it possible that the reason this was doable was because either the 500+ distance was not met or because of z-axis distance being ignored or the recognition bugged?

While we're on the topic is 500 distance beyond maximum sight distance? My guess would be yes but I have no idea.
Last edited by guineapig; 02-22-2011 at 11:41 AM..
Old 02-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

I'm pretty sure the Karanas, Sky, Fear, and maybe Dagnor's would have the possibility of being large enough to see the mechanic in action in terms of zones in EQ:Classic, but I'm sure someone would've noted that by now.

I remember encountering the mechanic in Kunark but it would make sense that it was introduced alongside the changes to Feign Deathbecause it would allow FD to be successful in numerous ways by either luck or patience (multiple FDs to wipe agro and hope for the best or split mobs and get one to go back to spawn while the other remains e.g. snare pulling with an SK).

To address a concern about the mechanic itself: the times I did run across the Karanas or any other large zone on any other continent other than Kunark with mobs snared, it never resulted in them running back to their spawn when I got far enough away. This leads me to believe that Kunark zones were the only place where that mechanic took place. Furthermore I have a feeling that it was only limited to particular mobs that were found in Kunark. Gore would never be able to lose agro, because it was kited endlessly back in the day. Undead didn't seem to ever give up, either. Goblins and Sarnaks, however, had the attention span of goldfish. I'm not sure what kind of proof beyond anecdote is possible here, but hopefully this might help steer this topic in the right direction
Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was my understanding that most people would not have ever experienced this one live simply because most zones in classic are not large enough and most classes not fast enough to attain the 500+ distance required to replicate the disengaging of the mob.

I cannot confirm or deny that this happened on live back in 1999 but it does make sense why many would be confused as to how this mechanic could have possibly existed.
I used to abuse this mechanic on live leveling alts.

In rathe mts. you can pull Findlegrob and he'd send his pet after you and start casting. If you ran to the lake rathe zoneline, you'd end up far enough away for Findlegrob to go back to his spawn point and his pet to stick with you at the zoneline (since he was casting and the pet wasn't).

The part I can't explain is even after you killed the pet, Findlegrob would summon another and send it after you. It was an endless pull of findlegrob pets, good exp from 18-22.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Planar Protector

I guess that disproves my theory.. never noticed it! That's some good information though, Otto.