Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 06:12 PM
Orc

Default Shaman race dilemma: Re-roll?

I have a lvl 51 Barbarian Shaman, my highest level character. Due to some very generous people and my awesome guild, I’ve acquired a few decent pieces of equipment:

Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate
JBB
Thurgadin Legs
SoW clicky boots
SBS

Everything else is OK, not great. I’m also max faction for my epic, so tear and last fight to go.

In any case - I’ve always liked how Troll Shamans look, and I feel kinda gimped without the racial regen; I think it ramps up to an extra 10 or 12 hp/tick in the 50s! I wish I had re-rolled sooner, but now I’m feeling a little “locked in” due to all the effort I’ve put into my Barb.

I know people say “once you get Torpor it doesn’t matter”. I don’t get to play nearly as often as I’d like, so let’s assume a few things:

1. I won’t reach level 60
and/or
2. I can’t afford Torpor
and/or
3. I don’t have the resources to get epic, or the plat to MQ tear

Given the above, do you think it’s worth it to re-roll Troll? Will the extra regen make a big difference? I appreciate any input!
Old 03-22-2019, 06:34 PM
Planar Protector

I too enjoy Troll shamans but my vote would be....no way. That Barb shaman has been there for you for 51 levels, putting him on blocks would be sad.
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarder981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know people say “once you get Torpor it doesn’t matter”. I don’t get to play nearly as often as I’d like, so let’s assume a few things:

and/or
2. I can’t afford Torpor
and/or

Given the above, do you think it’s worth it to re-roll Troll? Will the extra regen make a big difference? I appreciate any input!
I think if you can't get to level 60 from level 51 you're going to have an awfully hard time getting to 60 from level 1 (especially with a race with a much higher XP penalty).

Also, I think maybe you're being to pessimistic or short-sighted. Unless you have an expiration date on your P99 play ... and even then, if you only have (say) six months left to play, you'll still get more done in those six months with a 51 Shaman than a level 1 Shaman.

If you don't have an expiration date, then really all you're saying is those things will take you awhile ... and they will. But speaking as a casual-playing Barbarian Shaman myself, I got all those things and you can too, you just need patience.

And as it turned out it was actually a lot easier than I expected: once I hit 60 and started doing King groups, all it took was two good rolls on fungi tunics to get enough plat to buy Torpor. That was after a 2-3 months of doing King groups just on weekends and Friday nights (ie. filthy casual style). Similarly it took me months of Droga to afford my epic, and months of XPing to get to 60 ... but again I got all those things, and you absolutely can too (as a Barbarian, ie. the best Shaman race possible).

Once you do, I promise you won't miss Troll regen, and until you do the benefit that regen would have given you will be so, so much less than the benefit 50 levels gives you. Cloke is absolutely correct: it would be sad to shelve your Barbarian.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 03-22-2019 at 07:05 PM..
Old 03-22-2019, 07:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarder981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a lvl 51 Barbarian Shaman, my highest level character.
2. I can’t afford Torpor

Okay, full disclosure, I'm in the Ogre boat, and I've played ogre barb troll to 50+, would choose ogre if I had to make the choice again.

That being said, I would be in the opposite category for #s 1-2-3.

My initial reaction to this thread was actually to suggest NOT rerolling for a race, but with those specific restrictions/stipulations as part of the decision making process, I reconsidered.

Being a troll (or iksar) would probably be the one biggest gain you could make without Epic/Torp/Fungi, so I would have to say that rerolling actually wouldn't be a terrible decision if you enjoy playing the class. If you enjoy that class that much I wouldn't really call #1-2-3 things you couldn't obtain, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I too enjoy Troll shamans but my vote would be....no way. That Barb shaman has been there for you for 51 levels, putting him on blocks would be sad.
Hey it doesn't have to be sad, he could be great EC mule (sowboots aw yeah) and maybe buff some noobs while selling.

Edit:
Quote:
Due to some very generous people and my awesome guild, I’ve acquired a few decent pieces of equipment:
JBB
I missed that JBB at first, and I just wanna say, as an ogre fan, not having your JBB casts get slapped out of you 7 seconds in is amazing. Not enough reason to pick ogre over troll if you're considering 1-2-3 however.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Last edited by Darkatar; 03-22-2019 at 07:09 PM..
Old 03-22-2019, 08:54 PM
Orc

Fashion is the only thing that matters tbh. You are playing in a museum for you to place your favorite character. What I mean is, if you don't like staring at a barbarian shaman but do like staring at a troll shaman, just reroll. You don't have a deadline to reach so enjoy it as much as you can.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:14 AM
Planar Protector

At this point it's probably not worth worrying about. With cannibalizing excess health, a troll will functionally be getting something around 7 mana a tick more than you. But your base barb mana regen will already be about 35 a tick. That's only about 20% increase in mana regen rates. Considering you arent even going to make it to 60, I would wonder if you will ever make up the difference in mana regenration on your would-be-troll to catch up to all the mana you already regenerating on your barb and including all the time leveling up the troll.

There is also the fact that regeneration only gets good in the 50s, and you already eat a 15% greater exp penalty on the troll. Knocking that difference in efficiency down to only around 5%, since you say you will never hit 60 your troll will always be leveling slower. With 5% difference in efficiency it would be reasonable and pertinent to estimate you'd have to play your troll TWO HUNDRED TIMES LONGER than the barb to recoup the losses
Old 03-23-2019, 04:34 AM
Fire Giant

If your not sure you can get 60, or haven't even got another 60, re-rolling a toon in the 50s just for race isn't worth it

Besides barb shaman's look pretty cool, and in the end gear is going to vastly overshadow racial regen
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 03-23-2019, 09:44 AM
Sarnak

Stick with your barb imo, looks like you already put work into thurg/true spirit faction no need to let that go to waste.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 AM
Planar Protector

Yes. Absolutely reroll. fashion is #1 in this game. People will tell you it’s a waste but it’s a game play it how you want to. I’ve deleted many 40s chars and quit many 50s chars. It’s not hard to get to 51.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycon43 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stick with your barb imo, looks like you already put work into thurg/true spirit faction no need to let that go to waste.
Why is it a waste? Because you will lose all your elf sim progress?

So many people in MMOs love to make it all about progress & accomplishments like in real life. People forget it's still a game. If rolling a new race will make your experience more enjoyable, then do it.

Is torpor awesome at 60? Sure it is. But regen is also something there 100% of the time before that, and during that. Literally thousands of extra hp for doing nothing other than playing a certain race. Many people don't get to 60, or if they do, can't afford torpor, and then after that, may just decide to roll another char.

There are plenty of people out there who also have multiple races of the same class. Not that big of a deal.
Closed Thread